( search forums )
3D Soldat-type game ....in progress.....
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
enjoyincubus
March 8, 2003, 7:18 pm
For those of you who know me personally, it may come as no suprise that I am making a 3D Soldat-type game. But for the rest of you, this is probably the first time you have heard me say this. I am making a 3D version of Soldat. Of course, I may have to come up with a different name if Michal doesn't approve of the name. This isn't one of those new projects that is just started. 92 scripts later, I have my engine done. You can actually move around in the environment at this time. There is even one stupid bot that runs around (he can't shoot yet). I am trying to stick as close to Soldat as I can, but the online play may not turn out as well as the original. But nonetheless, I will release a demo sometime in the next 2 months....

Yes, this is a ways away, but the online play needs way too much work to release now.

You may think that I am infringing on Michal's official Soldat game, and if he thinks I am, I will change the interface and anything he asks me to. I would like for this game to have ties to Soldat, though...

I am using a program called Game Maker to make it. But just because it isn't C++ or Delphi does not mean it will not work. Anyone with GML coding experience that would like to help, PM me please.

For the rest of you, just check out the 3 early screens, taken at different times. I have placed them in order that they were taken, so the first 2 do not actually have the toolbar at the top.

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] soldat3D3.JPG38.13 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] soldat3D2.JPG50.44 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] soldat3D.JPG52.23 KB

NEW SHOT W/O AN INTERFACE.....NEW ONE IS BEING MADE NOW....

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] soldat3d5.JPG52.39 KB

THIS GAME HAS GONE CEL-SHADED! CHECK THESE TWO SCREENS AND COMPARE THE ORIGINAL TO THE CELLY ONE!

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] soldatnormalneon.JPG64.57 KB

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] soldatneon.JPG66.64 KB

Shadow

Evolution
March 8, 2003, 7:25 pm
looks pretty good!!
it reminds me of Soldat+Counter Strike in the same game.
the maps sorta need more detail though. -Thumbs Up-

deophite
March 8, 2003, 7:38 pm
Have you got prior permission from Michal to do this? You could very well be infringing on copyright laws.

In other words, I don't think it was smart to post on the OFFICIAL Soldat forums about this.

Evolution
March 8, 2003, 7:42 pm
yes deophite is right.
arent you using the Soldat interface?
and this is the Soldat forum,
not the Soldat 3D forum.

enjoyincubus
March 8, 2003, 7:47 pm
quote:Have you got prior permission from Michal to do this? You could very well be infringing on copyright laws.

In other words, I don't think it was smart to post on the OFFICIAL Soldat forums about this.

Well, is it better to ask BEFORE you release something, or AFTER? That is why I told everyone about it on these forums. I am just telling you about a somewhat modded version of a game.

quote:looks pretty good!!
it reminds me of Soldat+Counter Strike in the same game.
the maps sorta need more detail though. -Thumbs Up-

The maps need LOTS of work, of course, and they will get the work they need. I am not staying strictly to Soldat, but it would be nice to be connected to it. I am trying to actually connect more to Quake than CS....

THE INTERFACE IS TEMPORARY. IT WILL BE CHANGED. NO WORRYING PLEASE.
I WILL EVENTUALLY CHANGE ANY SOLDAT SPRITE INTO MY OWN, SO YOU WORRIERS WILL BE HAPPY!

Shadow

Evolution
March 8, 2003, 7:53 pm
o thats good.
you dont want Michal getting mad.
is there only one gun?
alos will it be freeware, or shareware like Soldat?

enjoyincubus
March 8, 2003, 8:02 pm
Definitely freeware....

I couldn't go shareware, because it is just too much work for me, on the account of I used some pictures in the game from CD's and some other things from the internet. But if I do make my own images (or get my good animation friend to do them for me[:D]) then I could release an enhanced version that would be shareware, similar to the shareware version of Soldat.

But I am 99% sure that this will be freeware. I know how it feels to pay for a game that you don't want to pay for but want to play. (Hey, I am talking about Worms! lol) So this will be freeware.

As far as weapons go, I am looking at maybe 7 different weapons. You start out with all the weapons with you, and each has unlimited ammo, like Soldat. You just press key 1-7 to take out the corresponding weapon. Also, with the sniper rifle, you get a great scope, which I already have working![8D] Some other weapons have scopes, but not as far-seeing as the sniper.

Shadow

Duke33
March 8, 2003, 8:14 pm
That looks really sweet. What sites will u post it on for download once you're done? A good one would be www.megagames.com. Everybody there would love it.
One thing though, yeah, you shouldn't call it Soldat 3D.

liquidis x snake
March 8, 2003, 10:31 pm
Great work Shadow. I hope Michal approves of this (if he hasn't already) and I hope you can snag the Soldat tag. I wish you the best of luck in completing this and am looking forward to this already great looking game. Good day.

enjoyincubus
March 8, 2003, 11:16 pm
UPDATE: The blurry floors in the earlier screens have now been scaled and tiled, to give them a more clear look. I fixed a bug that was preventing the game from running, and I have gotten more scenery.

I have also given each level it's own unique start-up script, which cut the loading time (about 5 secs) down to about 1.5 secs. I can also now make the maps have unique things, like really dense fog, less lighting, different colored skies, and even rain or snow.

I still need lots of scenery, so I would like people to help me make it. Only good spriters need apply.

Shadow

NightCabbage
March 9, 2003, 6:55 am
Hey cool! :)
I like raycasting :)

Just tell me if you want any help Shadow - I would be only too happy! :)

NightCabbage

M
March 9, 2003, 7:34 am
Cool i always want to have soldat in 3d. But the pictures reminds me on doom. And does it will have bots? I hate my connection.

Nebby
March 9, 2003, 3:08 pm
hmm

#1 i doubt this game will ever take off.
#2 Duke Nukem is about the closest for soldat you will get for a 3d game (with the jetpacks and such)
#3:those images look edited
#4:CHOOSE A DIFFERENT NAME, people might download this thinking it's the newest soldat or something, and calling it soldat just ruins everything. soldat is 2D game, and 2D it shall stay.
#5: don't use a pre-packaged game maker, they are too linear and it makes you look like a n0b (no offence)

but apart from that, keep up the work, and i'll definitely try this game when it's released (if it is)

Sobe
March 9, 2003, 3:10 pm
cool......good idea

enjoyincubus
March 9, 2003, 3:16 pm
quote: Cool i always want to have soldat in 3d. But the pictures reminds me on doom.

Well, as far as it looking like Doom, there are a few reasons for this. One is this game is early in development. If it was nearing completion, you would see more polished graphics, like curved corners or even bump mapping. I guarantee that if you watched the development of Half-Life or any of the HL mods, the graphics would be rather simple too. You need to get everything else worked out first. Graphics are important, but not as important as other things. If the game cannot run well, the graphics will not matter. Ask the makers of Unreal 2 for proof. Great graphics, yet sorry gameplay=a suffering game. So when all the gameplay is worked out, I will fix the Doom-like graphics. There's nothing wrong with Doom, or at least I don't think so. But it is a little old...

quote:And does it will have bots? I hate my connection.

Quite possibly the most important question for some people. When I started making this game, I did not plan to put in bots. But now I have decided to. But these bots are not exactly like the ones in Soldat. They do not follow waypoints. They run around by themselves, randomly choosing directions. They have an invisible bubble around them. This bubble is extremely large, and when you step into it, they begin to shoot at you.

It's now back to working on the health system. The jets will be extremely great if I get them to work correctly. You cannot leave the level, however.

With the arrival of GM 5.0 in a week or so, I will have more tools to use in development. The game will then run much smoother and faster, which is always a plus. This game should be able to run on slow computers. I am working on a 1.6 Ghz PC with 256 MB RAM, but it should run at this time all the way down to a 300Mhz pc with 64 MB RAM. You will probably need 3D hardware accelerated graphics card with latest and working OpenGL drivers. This game should not lag on the internet, as I have tested it one time and it did not lag. With simple graphics, this could run fine. But with 10 people playing together, and lots of graphics flooding the screen, there is no telling what would happen.

Shadow

Michal Marcinkowski
March 9, 2003, 7:25 pm
I don't think that this game has something in common with Soldat. I don't know how do you plan to join Soldat games with this.
I'm OK with you using the name or graphics, but you shouldn't do it. I really suggest you make your own game. The game will always be unnecesarily compared with Soldat.

enjoyincubus
March 9, 2003, 7:33 pm
Well, if you think I should make it differently, then I will. I wanted to incorporate Soldat elements like the weapons, the jetpacks, some of the sounds and levels into this game. Now I think the game will head more down the CS road.

Shadow

ada89
March 9, 2003, 7:57 pm
Why not make soldat 3d in side view with same style of play?

mat
March 9, 2003, 8:04 pm
ad89: I totally agree. If soldat ever gets 3D I think it should look something like Hercules or Tarzan (the 3d platforms from Disney), nut nothing more... that (I think) it's the only path in making it 3D. Any other way u will just making another FPS... and we have a lot...

enjoyincubus
March 9, 2003, 8:07 pm
quote:Why not make soldat 3d in side view with same style of play?

Huh? I don't understand what you are saying....You mean keep it as it is right now, but make it look more 3D?

Anyway,

Since Michal has answered my question, it is time to start coming up with a new name. Anyone with a good name and theme is welcome to spit their ideas out here. If I don't get any good replies, I have a few ideas I can implement.

Shadow

mat
March 9, 2003, 8:44 pm
exactly make it look more 3D, but don't loose the gamestyle... it is platform. it should stay platform!

M
March 9, 2003, 10:05 pm
Some names.
3d shooter.
Attack of the soldiers.
Attacked.
No way out.
Eat my sh1t.
Weapon arena.
attack for glory.
Or something else...

Yedi
March 10, 2003, 12:50 am
JUST MAKE A COUNTER STRIKE MOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ADD MOR LIFE, ADD A JETPACK AND CHANGE THE WEAPONS!!!
ITS DAMM EZ!!!!!!
THEY MADE DBZ MODS, YOU CAN MAKE A SOLDAT MOD!!!

sanity
March 10, 2003, 7:31 am
Yedi: add a jetpack? [V]

M
March 10, 2003, 8:18 am
No make an game not a mod.

enjoyincubus
March 10, 2003, 12:15 pm
Yes this is a game, not a mod....The thing there is that mods suck, while games are great! For example, Half-Life was the best game a few years back, but CS wasn't great because the simple fact that it was a mod....What's the point of making it if it's just a spinoff of an already popular game?

BTW I added a new screenshot with a roof on the building. Next thing I am adding is stairs and an upstairs.

Shadow

M
March 10, 2003, 1:40 pm
Hmm wierd.
I have some questions.
What the feautures will this game have?
Can you add some vehicles?
It will be online?
When you will release it?

enjoyincubus
March 10, 2003, 9:03 pm
quote:I have some questions.

Ok...Shoot away[:D]

quote:What the feautures will this game have?

This game will feature about 5-7 weapons (and nades). It will have a few different bots that do not use waypoints, but run where they randomly choose to. It'll have about 10 levels (v.1.0 will) and some other little stuff. I am not going to go into this once again, because if you read my earlier posts, I have described most of the features already.

quote:Can you add some vehicles?

I may add vehicles into the game. But if you have looked closely at the screens, there is not too much room to ride around. If I did add them in, it would probably be something very very small, like a motorcycle or a minijeep of some type.

quote:It will be online?

Is that a question or a statement? Anyways, it will be online, but the first demo will only support bots, and no online play will be initialized until much later. The thing with this game is that at this time, the program I am using to develop it has limited features for online play. So you won't be able to log on and just join a game real quick from a lobby. You will have to know the IP of the server you are connecting to, or connect to a LAN. But it will be online at least, and you can play a pretty lagless game with up to 10 people.

quote:When will you release it?

Hmmmm....don't know right now. I don't have a deadline for it, so I will work on it till I am through. Then I'll release it...[8D][8D]

Shadow

enjoyincubus
March 14, 2003, 3:27 am
Ok, its been almost 4 days since I last updated this. In that time, I have been up studying for exams to keep all my A's in school. Luckily, I did so, and now I can worry about this game.

All I have worked on lately is turning the game into a cel-shaded affair. I am planning to release a cel-shaded version of this game, but also a normal version. They will be compatible with each other, the only change being the graphics.

The great thing with this game is the total customizability I will be offering. From the get-go, you can change the wall textures and the scenery. It is very simple. All you have to do is open the picture in paint and change it. But you must not change the name of the file or the game will be screwed.

Anyways, I hope you like cel-shading, but if you do not like it you can play the normal version. There is not much extra work involved in doing that, just specifying different images inside the game.

I am also making the game compatible with a gamepad, something I wish more FPS's were good at. I'll keep the controls simple, without all these hard things to remember.

I am having trouble with stairs, due to the DLL I am using, but I have an even better idea: Teleporters!

Shadow

Onyros
March 14, 2003, 3:53 am
Cel-shading is a great idea, I support that one. I'll love to see how that turns out, good luck and good work :)

dark_skull66
March 14, 2003, 5:43 am
LOOKS GOOD AND MICHAL IZ RIGHT!

dark_skull66
March 14, 2003, 5:44 am
Oh and u just cant reform the original like that Michals game has perfect originality in it!
and its rly hard to get bored at!

ChillKill
March 15, 2003, 1:35 pm
I know that making a game is a lot of work for a single person but that engine reminds me of a windows 95 screensaver. and yes it is true that it has nothing in common with soldat. how should you use a jetpack, which is an importwnt feature, in a tiny labyrinth. running through small aisles doesn't seem to me like 3d. i would advise you to use an existing engine, like making a mod, for the game because you wont get far with yours. thats no insult just an advice in order to make a good game. greetz ChI11

tbfg
March 15, 2003, 8:10 pm
Soldat in 3D... thats very cool... but I don´t think that it was so very much like soldat on the screenshots... you should call it something els... I think taht you should be abel to see the character from behind (3rd person)...
peace

enjoyincubus
March 15, 2003, 8:16 pm
quote: I know that making a game is a lot of work for a single person but that engine reminds me of a windows 95 screensaver

Oh, sorry, but I didn't have 3 years to spend coding my own Half-Life engine....my bad. Only had time for 92 scripts....

quote:and yes it is true that it has nothing in common with soldat

Ok, but that's what I said a while back.....Helps to read before you write stuff.....

quote:how should you use a jetpack, which is an importwnt feature, in a tiny labyrinth. running through small aisles doesn't seem to me like 3d.

The jetpack idea, like the Soldat thing, has also been covered. But I know, you don't have time to read that, you are hunting for stars. How is it not 3D? I'm adding in waterfalls, hills, lava, etc...

quote: would advise you to use an existing engine, like making a mod, for the game because you wont get far with yours. thats no insult just an advice in order to make a good game.

Maybe, just maybe, some day you will realize how much better you feel when you beat the odds at something. I'm developing this with a program made to make 2D games. Already being 3D is great. Maybe just making a little mod is fine with you. Ripping off someone elses work is not on my to-do list though.

I think I can go as far as I want with it, because you have no idea who I am or what I can or cant do. It seems pretty ignorant to say that I won't get far, when you don't know where I am. So just go ahead and doubt me, but please don't tell everyone that you influenced me in any way when I finish this game. This is my first 3D game, but not my first overall game. Even if it has simple levels, I'll still be very happy knowing i didn't use a program to place 3D looking stuff in a room for me.

Shadow

M
March 16, 2003, 7:07 am
Can you add more screenes?

ChillKill
March 17, 2003, 3:23 pm
yeah start flaming me just because i am the only one who gives you some criticism. im sure you will be happy when you made a game with your own engine but many others would be happy to play a game with a good engine. i don't know what first person shooters you've played but doing a good mod for a them is a bit more work than putting objects in a room as you said. modding a game is not ripping of someone elses work. a good modder just takes the engine and tries to make something new out of it. if you want do do it all alone then just continue with it and we will see when you finished it.

wormdundee
March 17, 2003, 4:22 pm
dude, if he wants to make a frickin game let him, if you don't like it thats your problem, hes actually spending his own time to make this and all you can do is criticize him for not having a perfect engine? if you haven't noticed, he's not making this game professionally so you wouldn't be expecting it to be up to par with something such as BF1942 or CS would you? it would be great if it was but you can't expect it to be, how about you just wait until its finished and out and pass you judgement on it then, you cant say it sucks just by looking at screenshots of it in very early stages of development

enjoyincubus
March 17, 2003, 8:32 pm
quote:yeah start flaming me just because i am the only one who gives you some criticism. im sure you will be happy when you made a game with your own engine but many others would be happy to play a game with a good engine. i don't know what first person shooters you've played but doing a good mod for a them is a bit more work than putting objects in a room as you said. modding a game is not ripping of someone elses work. a good modder just takes the engine and tries to make something new out of it. if you want do do it all alone then just continue with it and we will see when you finished it.

I'm sorry, I didn't know you would take it so personally. You people get so tied up with people talking directly to you. I didn't try to "flame" you or whatever you want to call it. I have modded games before, and it's no fun. I know how it works, and I'm not the idiot you try to make me out to be. Oh, and just to let you know, Soldat was made by ONE person, so there's nothing wrong with independently developed games, as you seem to think. And I don't take offense to anything you say. All I've done is answered your questions, so calm down. I'm not "flaming" you or trying to destroy you. We're not in a game right now. Please don't try to turn this into a "flaming" pit, as you would call it. Critisism is ok, as long as it is constructive, but right now I think you are just trying to pick a fight. I don't really care, but please just go away unless you have something useful to say, like some ideas for the game or weapons or something. I don't want to hear this crap about "make a mod" or "use this engine cuz yours is crap." Until you make a game off of your own engine, shut up.

Shadow

Duke33
March 17, 2003, 9:03 pm
Leave enjoyincubus alone. Its his first game. It is a remarkable achievent that he could get a game that looks ok, is 3D,and has a bunch of weapons and bots. It is a damn sight better than many independently produced games that I have seen. Perhaps it doesnt match up with CS and Half-Life or whatever, but it is still good.

M
March 18, 2003, 7:54 am
Yep its true Duke33 this one rockz.

Frye
June 25, 2003, 1:59 am
I've probably missed something here, but what about making it in 3rd person? Wouldn't that be more soldat-like?

Tai
June 25, 2003, 4:43 am
This project sounds cool, Shadow! A possible 3D-version of my favorite game! The best thing i've heard since v.1.1.4 was released and had chainsaw, then I could spawn kill little bitc..uhhhh ummmm, I think some weapon like the m72 law would be a good weapon to put into your game, shadow. And some grenades!:)

M
June 25, 2003, 7:03 am
Man you are out of date. This thread was popular in Martch.

Tai
June 25, 2003, 12:45 pm
Does that mean the game is finished, OR does it mean thet game will never be complete? And WHERE are the updates?!

M
June 25, 2003, 4:17 pm
Nope.

wormdundee
June 25, 2003, 5:02 pm
ok, really M, nope? nope to what, nope to not having a brain is true, did yo notice the big OR??? what are you sayuing nope too is what i want ot know

Kamikaze_Ninja
June 25, 2003, 7:51 pm
all so very confusing idk what is going on lol

enjoyincubus
June 25, 2003, 8:51 pm
I'm not going to finish the game. I never finish any games. Anything I write on here is a lie. Don't listen to my cynical, hypocritical crap. Thank you and go away.

Enjoy

M
June 25, 2003, 10:22 pm
I mean nope to this you blind worm.
"Does that mean the game is finished, OR does it mean thet game will never be complete? And WHERE are the updates?!"

BManx2000
June 25, 2003, 10:32 pm
Darn, it looked so promising...

Tai
June 26, 2003, 12:30 am
quote:Originally posted by enjoyincubus
I'm not going to finish the game. I never finish any games. Anything I write on here is a lie. Don't listen to my cynical, hypocritical crap. Thank you and go away.

Enjoy

How sad. You're going to make me cry..ROTFL HAHAAHAAHahaAHAHAAHAHAH!!! Why don't you close the topic and I'll just blo..shake my head at the tombstone while you're at it?

Duke33
June 26, 2003, 1:57 am
Hey enjoyicubus, can you at least post as far as you got? Even if its buggy and whatever, could you so that we could see it? And what it COULD have been and yet did not become (ahem).......

enjoyincubus
June 26, 2003, 3:24 am
Well, give me some time...My work does not come together WHATSOEVER until the last second-i.e. I don't finish coding for stuff b/c I don't feel like it, so I have to go back and put it all together like some type of wierd puzzle with moldy old pieces that you have to spit on and bend to make them fit together. Or you can think of it as clothes covering the floor, and the bed all crooked, and my monitor thrown on the floor, and you can't walk around at all. It's like that. But maybe I can tidy it up a little, and release some stuff...hmmmm...lemme go see what I have here...

Ok, you have inspired me to make a few little rooms. The object of the game is to get to the end of the level. Easy enough. There'll be some telletubbies scattered around too. Sound like fun? Didn't think so, but I'll do it anyway. But I am still a liar. A cynical, hypocritical liar who does not deserve to live. Well, cya later...gotta go clean up my game stuff...

Enjoy

Misse91
June 26, 2003, 3:28 am
Cs + Soldat, boring.. 2d is much funner than 3d [:-yuck]

Wyldephang
June 28, 2003, 3:19 am
3D platform games are still kickass though.

Super Smash Brothers Melee for instance. But with a Soldat influence. Kick ass.

Might not run on my computer though :(

Tai
June 28, 2003, 4:57 am
what does THAT mean?! You have windows 95?! OMFG, are you THAT poor?

*sniffles* how sad. :(

mak89gt
June 28, 2003, 4:41 pm
man, you dont make fun of people like that

Tai
June 28, 2003, 9:52 pm
Nope, I'm being sincere. You can take my post for how you want. I actually know how it feels to have a bad computer (Even if I didn't have it for so long).

Toumaz
September 12, 2003, 3:00 pm
Hey, is this stuff about the making of a 3d soldat tru or what??

Kamikaze_Ninja
September 12, 2003, 11:06 pm
ok... dont u read the old posts... it says its not completed and shall be never be released and btw this thread is old.

lava
November 28, 2003, 6:39 pm
i hate it,the orriginal soldat is better than 3D,admin please delete this sickfully,abusing post,or lock it but better delete it >:(

frogboy
November 29, 2003, 2:33 am
This topic was already dead.
quote:Originally posted by Kamikaze_Ninja (September)
ok... dont u read the old posts... it says its not completed and shall be never be released and btw this thread is old.

y0da
November 29, 2003, 10:32 am
this all thing is a joke...

M
November 29, 2003, 11:36 am
We should really delete this post. New members always start it up.

sativa
November 29, 2003, 3:12 pm
oops didn't read your comments
i will delete my post

NightCabbage
November 30, 2003, 1:56 am
(locked)