( search forums )
dm_Blood and Soil
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Deleted User
February 14, 2006, 11:48 pm
My first foray into mapmaking, Blood and Soil was made for confined and intense battles, and it came out rather small; as planned. There are many things to hide behind (even a spot where you can hide under a bed!), as well as a wealth of pickups where appropriate. Also, if you stand near the hospital, your health regenerates. Just like in real life! The map is waypointed, thanks to David Wales, whose screename on here i have completely forgotten, due to selective memory.

Overview
[URL]

Screenshot
[URL]

Download
[URL]

If you have any ideas on how to improve upon the the map, or whatever, pm me or something. Hope you enjoy.

EDIT: This map plays better on team deathmatch than it does on normal DM; DM took a bit of a backseat to TDM, hence the rather lame spawnpoints on DM mode.

Eagles_Arrows
February 14, 2006, 11:55 pm
You've got some nice custom scenery in that overview. Sadly, I am missing the red car and others.

The map suffers from messy spawn placements and paucity of shading. But it's pretty cool for a first map.

Deleted User
February 15, 2006, 12:40 am
Thank you; i forgot to mention that it was meant for TDM battles. My fault.

The Geologist
February 15, 2006, 1:30 am
Always good to see a new mapper, but the map needs lots of work. Lesse..

Shading is always good. Dunno if you've messed around with the map maker much, but experiment..there are also some shading tutorials on here for techniques to create the illusion of shading.

Laying needs improvement...instead of long, straight polys, put some depth in there..break them up into smaller bits to create hills, pits, etc..some relief to your landscape. Goes a long way, especially for realistic mode.

Sceneries don't all mesh well (like that big blue hemisphere). Try to go for a better balance between layout and scenery. On that note, adding color along with your shading will go along way in visual appeal.

a-4-year-old
February 15, 2006, 1:34 am
 Quote:Originally posted by The GeologistAlways good to see a new mapper, but the map needs lots of work. Lesse..

Shading is always good. Dunno if you've messed around with the map maker much, but experiment..there are also some shading tutorials on here for techniques to create the illusion of shading.

Laying needs improvement...instead of long, straight polys, put some depth in there..break them up into smaller bits to create hills, pits, etc..some relief to your landscape. Goes a long way, especially for realistic mode.

Sceneries don't all mesh well (like that big blue hemisphere). Try to go for a better balance between layout and scenery. On that note, adding color along with your shading will go along way in visual appeal.

almost everything, color. needs color. doesnt matter what color as long as it doesnt fry my retinas out it would be an improvement

OutofOrder
February 15, 2006, 1:49 am
Work on shading techniques! Open some maps made by great mappers and see what's done there. Then apply your learning in your maps.
I have to say you've got some imagination on themeing. :) Try changing scenery opacities, and using the color pallette on them more often.
Keep it up.

Deleted User
February 15, 2006, 1:56 am
It's good to hear constructive criticism, rather than being burned at the stake.
The e-stake.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll get better over time.

Soulsnipa
February 15, 2006, 2:02 am
New mapper with no shaded-maps = SoulSnipa SPAM tutorial link time!

http://sml.u13.net/tutorial/

Shading:
http://sml.u13.net/tutorial/?p=polygons&b=shading&page=1

Smoothing:
http://sml.u13.net/tutorial/?p=polygons&b=smoothing&page=1

Deleted User
February 15, 2006, 2:39 am
*Runs off to get polyworks*

viggoloniggolo
February 15, 2006, 9:49 am
the coolest map on earth.

Is unfortunately not this one, but you should start with mapmaker.

Soulsnipa
February 15, 2006, 12:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by viggoloniggolothe coolest map on earth.

Is unfortunately not this one, but you should start with mapmaker.

should start with mapmaker. Start with polyworks.

viggoloniggolo
February 15, 2006, 3:13 pm
start with mapmaker, then go over onto polyworx, then you can actually tell the difference between mapmaker and polyworks

Raptor
February 15, 2006, 6:53 pm
No shading, bad bgcolor... and yea, Polyworks is better^

Mothafix
February 15, 2006, 9:41 pm
[Offtopic] EDIT: Original mapmaker plus for the win :P

[(maybe)ontopic] Teh map needs shading and i'm perhaps missing some of those scenery, otherwise GJ :)

Keron Cyst
February 16, 2006, 12:10 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Mothafix[Offtopic] Original mapmaker for the win :P

[(maybe)ontopic] Teh map needs shading and i'm perhaps missing some of those scenery, otherwise GJ :)

MapMaker Plus, dude. It can do a ton more stuff B-)

Deleted User
February 16, 2006, 12:43 am
Thanks, i'm fond of mapmaker plus.

Soulsnipa
February 16, 2006, 4:33 am
What is your favorite mapmaker?

Official Mapmaker : 8 (21%)
Mapmaker Plus : 3 (8%)
Polyworks : 27 (71%)

Taken off sml site, now YOU choose.

Raptor
February 16, 2006, 3:36 pm
Polyworks...

Deleted User
February 16, 2006, 4:51 pm
to plain.. it would be great for lierox.