( search forums )
Destructable Polygons
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Gore
February 15, 2006, 4:56 am
I think adding destructable polygons to the game would add some interesting gameplay to the existing modes. For example in CTF or INF, think like there is only one or two ways to invade the enemy base, however, there is another "alternative" way which you could use destroying the map. You would need a maybe two soldiers to destroy the passage, and in the mean time the deffending team would try to kill those [CENSORED]s in order to keep their base safe. So I'm not talking of making the whole map destructable, just a few strategic passages.

I made a little drawing to show the idea (which im sure has already discussed thousand times haha)
[IMAGE]

I think that in the Map Editor you should be able to set if you want a polygons to be destroyable and, its "strenght".
Think that the light brown area is "weak rock" so maybe a guy with an automatic can make its way through, but the dark red area, as it is part of the bunker, should be much more strong and therefore you'll have to spend much more time shooting to destroy it and maybe just a m79 would have the power to destroy it in time to have an strategic advantage.

It could also make for some fun game modes, like a CTF where both teams start completly burried and have to dig is way out of the base.

ianhey
April 24, 2006, 4:26 pm
yeah it been posted like 5 times nowq even more i think but your pic make a good post
i like the idea this mutst be inplented
ooh and for the mapmakers there should be a limit for setroyable polygons based on map size and used polygons so no full destroybale map then xd

Swarmer
April 24, 2006, 5:39 pm
That's an awesome picture.

Keron Cyst
April 24, 2006, 6:24 pm
What about matches that last for 20+ min.? It'd be boring for people who come in and see that terrain to destroy has been gone ages ago. I don't think it's even possible to code in, anyways.

peemonkey
April 24, 2006, 8:02 pm
Didn't mikey say that he'd have to completly rework the mapping code to make this work?
I'm still for it, as long as you can set parameters for the polygons and they respawn after a round or a while.

HYPERFUNKBOT
April 24, 2006, 9:19 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Keron Cystdon't think it's even possible to code in, anyways.

Excuse me, why not?

Alamo
April 24, 2006, 10:47 pm
Because Hyperfunkbot!

Soldat maps are constructed out of polygons. How would you code in a worms-like destruction-thingy? It's not really possible... Polygons would either go entirely (leaving HUGE spaces) or split up, which would a) look ugly b) be totally buggy and c) inhibit game performance.

nfsjunkie91
April 24, 2006, 11:10 pm
I think it's not worms style, what he's saying is (at least I think so) that the polies would have health, and when hit enough times would be destroyed. Huge spaces would be bad in polies. :/

Eagles_Arrows
April 24, 2006, 11:27 pm
Agh, I've seen this idea one too many times.

I like it and I do not like it. It would take forever for MM to add such a feature, plus, even though it would be something new for Soldat, it won't be put to good use.

a-4-year-old
April 24, 2006, 11:51 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOT Quote:Originally posted by Keron Cystdon't think it's even possible to code in, anyways.

Excuse me, why not?
i could go for days explaining all the things you cant do in soldat. and almost just as long explaining all the things that might be doable.

if someone says its impossible, most likely it is just the way soldat was coded

HYPERFUNKBOT
April 25, 2006, 1:52 am
Do you have the source code? Does Keron Cyst have the source code? No. Then you can't say it's impossible to program.

Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldi could go for days explaining all the things you cant do in soldat. and almost just as long explaining all the things that might be doable.
Good, because I only asked for once specific thing.

Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old
if someone says its impossible, most likely it is just the way soldat was coded

Then it can be reprogrammed differently, that's what programming IS. It wouldn't be a feature request if it IS possible with the way soldat is coded, then it'd be a useable feature. Now, I can understand if MM wouldn't want to implement it if it would require MAJOR rewrites to the code for such a small feature, but I seriously doubt it would require major rewrites.

a-4-year-old
April 25, 2006, 2:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOT
Then it can be reprogrammed differently, that's what programming IS. It wouldn't be a feature request if it IS possible with the way soldat is coded, then it'd be a useable feature. Now, I can understand if MM wouldn't want to implement it if it would require MAJOR rewrites to the code for such a small feature, but I seriously doubt it would require major rewrites.

guess what, you are wrong again, we dont need the source to know that polygons cant be destroyed in the game, you would agree with the fact that polygons as they are now, cannot be destroyed.

polygons cant be changed in any way (god this must be like the 900th time ive had to explain this) they are just triangles that sit there. polygons are the fundamental base of everything in soldat, and you would have to REPROGRAM the polygons and REPROGRAM the mapmaker and REMAKEthe maps.

MM in his sanity, would never do this. soldat is incapable of supporting this feature and would have to have major updates to support it

I AM NOT EXPLAINING THIS AGAIN

FliesLikeABrick
April 25, 2006, 2:56 am
4-year-old is correct. locked.