( search forums )
Multitexture Tutorial #2
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Help / Resources
Soulsnipa
February 15, 2006, 11:22 am
I will convert this to sml tutorials eventually I think, for now it has its own soldat topic.

SML MULTITEXTURE TUTORIAL
[IMAGE]

I drew these coordinates to help you visualize the texture coordinates you need to know for multitexturing:
[IMAGE]

First: make sure you have these options checked in the view menu of polyworks.
[IMAGE]

Open the texture properties window in order to draw the first part of your texture. Fill it in as shown.
[IMAGE]

Turn on textured quad through the context menu(right click on the 'workspace' with the create polygon tool). Draw your polygons in a CLOCKWISE direction, otherwise they will not turn out right. (See Tip #1 Below). Notice depending on the way you draw it will depend on which way the texture faces. Below is the default and best way to do it. Notice the wireframe is also the how texture settings properties window looks. Each Yellow X below is a left mouse click. Follow the Red Arrow, Top Left X is first.
[IMAGE]

No matter where you start you will end up with a square however the texture will face a different way depending on where you start. I didnt place the final 8th polygon as you can see as I wanted to show you that im texture quadding.
[IMAGE]

This shows how you should setup your coordinates for the second part of the texture.
[IMAGE]

Again showing you the 4 different ways to place the polygon using texture quad.
[IMAGE]

Here I just played around. The first upper left is just the entire texture drawn out in pieces. I copied that to each one and joined them and moved stuff around. Texture stretching comes in handy to make the grass more visible and realistic.

http://sml.u13.net/files/multib6.JPG

You can play with it more here:
http://sml.u13.net/files/multitut.PMS

--(Make sure texture is set to xt_summergrassrock)

Tip #1: If you want to draw just one polygon you can draw as normal then place the second polygon anywhere and press control+z to undo, it only undos the second polygon and keeps the first.

Hope you understood this, along with my first multitexture tutorial ( http://sml.u13.net/tutorial/?p=polygons&b=multi ) there should be some good multitexture maps coming out.

Thanks to Xtender for his texture.

[IMAGE]

More Textures
http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=31740

Deleted User
February 15, 2006, 4:45 pm
Yes! this is useful.. now i can improve my lacking multitexture skills:p

peemonkey
February 15, 2006, 6:05 pm
Nice tutorial, maybe alittle unclear at certain points, but good nonetheless.

OutofOrder
February 15, 2006, 6:19 pm
Holy pimpin' tutorials, batman!
I didn't know you could edit those coordinates using the texture window! D:
This is just what i was needing. You rock, SS. :)

XTender
February 15, 2006, 6:35 pm
Seriously, i never used the Coordinate stuff because its useless. I always first made a set of quards and then copy/pasted it..

Soulsnipa
February 15, 2006, 9:26 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by XTenderSeriously, i never used the Coordinate stuff because its useless. I always first made a set of quards and then copy/pasted it..

Copy and paste requires many extra steps...the fastest way would be to make squares in the region you want....then you have to copy and paste them ....then you have to join their vertices since it doesnt happen in a duplicate, then you have to move them around when you are done. Also what if you accidentally go 1 pixel too far and then when your done you have a line which u need to go back and stretch out.

XTender
February 15, 2006, 9:50 pm
o_O .. first yousay that copy and paste requiers to many steps and then you list such a huge amount of steps (which also include the move copy/paste) ..
I make 1 square, duplicate it 3 times and fit the texture, then its done... so wheres the much of work?

Soulsnipa
February 15, 2006, 10:05 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by XTendero_O .. first yousay that copy and paste requiers to many steps and then you list such a huge amount of steps (which also include the move copy/paste) ..
I make 1 square, duplicate it 3 times and fit the texture, then its done... so wheres the much of work?

Well I'm not going to argue because I agree that way is pretty easy too. I did that for my lowdown map, however I prefer this method. It may be a little longer, however you can work with all the tools of the mapmaker,instead of having to copy and paste each polygon, then moving them. Its personal preference, and for beginners, it is best that they know this way. The other way is like the shortcut way, however I think it has its limits because if you want to make an entire line you have to copy and paste tons of squares. Perhaps show exactly how you do it, and I'll be convinced. :)

OutofOrder
February 15, 2006, 10:53 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaAlso what if you accidentally go 1 pixel too far and then when your done you have a line which u need to go back and stretch out.

Actually, that has happened to me but i didn't pay attention because i thought those were vertices not yet joined (i used the grid + copy + paste method). Those lines were thin and looked like spaces not covered by polys.
Boy i was wrong, when the map was almost completed, there were lots of those lines which i had to correct manually -.-

Raptor
February 16, 2006, 1:15 am
 Quote:Originally posted by HHHYes! this is useful.. now i can improve my lacking multitexture skills:p
Mine too xD

SakAttak
March 3, 2006, 7:38 am
I copy and paste and snap to the grid while I'm placing the squares. If you want to put a long line down, you can always put a few next to each other, copy that whole group and move it over, and repeat. To each his own.

Soulsnipa
March 3, 2006, 3:48 pm
yea on my last map I actually combined both methods.

hgtonight
April 30, 2006, 7:29 pm
Just to add some information to the tutorial.
note - this is entirely basic and most people already know this, but I thought I would try and help out newbies like me.

Rather than manual editing the coordinates, you can just pull up the Texture window.
[IMAGE]

When you select different regions in the texture window, it automatically adjusts the coordinates for you in the texture setting window. It speeds things up a LOT for a larger map.

Soulsnipa
May 1, 2006, 1:00 am
thanks but keep in mind whenever i made this, that texture window was not out yet :)

rabidhamster
May 1, 2006, 1:04 am
Texture window == god. Anna and MM should date each other.

Seriously.

hgtonight
May 2, 2006, 2:30 am
oh, I haven't used PolyWorks before there wasn't the texture window...
I said I was a noob... :$

still, it is useful information...

Soulsnipa
May 2, 2006, 2:53 am
ya i appreciate the input, it needed to be added.