( search forums )
Experimental layouts
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
DeMonIc
February 15, 2006, 3:50 pm
Hey. Since I'm making a series of reverse ctf maps, I'll be using different and different layouts. I already have a few in mind ( like a one routed duke-out map, and something similiar to lakeside / ash ) but I'd sure appreciate any sketches of your ideas. After all, it's a gamemode with awesome gameplay, but there are no 'original' layouts for it, so even the wickedest ideas may work.

viggoloniggolo
February 15, 2006, 4:01 pm
I have alot of ideas on real paper. wanna?

OutofOrder
February 15, 2006, 6:38 pm
You've probably thought of something like this, but here's an idea.

[IMAGE]

Of course, X's are spawns, flags are flags, everything black is polygon.
So, picture the details: set jet fuel to very little, the map becomes a somewhat tactical map. The map would be medium-sized. Possible optimum, around 8 players. Then you've got in mind what i try to express :)
Oh, the spawns should be placed quite high, so it takes a while to get to the base (5-6 seconds).

Raptor
February 16, 2006, 1:21 am
^I like that sketch. But I think it would be better if it was a little bit more stretched. Also another way to get to the flag (maybe an underground tunnel?)

rabidhamster
February 16, 2006, 5:17 am
all i draw during classes is inf maps, sorry :(

although i'll try making a couple tomorrow, it just became thursday here :/

OutofOrder
February 16, 2006, 7:12 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Raptor^I like that sketch. But I think it would be better if it was a little bit more stretched. Also another way to get to the flag (maybe an underground tunnel?)

I played with the idea of a third route while sketching, but remember it's reverse ctf, and the more complex the layout, more difficult to score it is. A third route should be very short, or else the flag carriers would never find themselves. (assuming both teams are balanced in number and skill)

DeMonIc
February 16, 2006, 7:45 pm
I like the idea, it'd be cool for that 1-route duke-out I was talking about. Think I'll realise it after I finish my current one, thanks for the sketch.

Deleted User
February 16, 2006, 8:39 pm
that sketch would look better if there were a tunnel of some sort..

rabidhamster
February 17, 2006, 1:46 am
i couldn't think of anything during math :(

are one route concepts okay?

GAMEOVER
February 17, 2006, 2:05 am
Demonic, ctf_Swamp by soap is like a reverse ctf map, no? I love that map so much its one of the very few I saved. You should maybe make a swamp2 or something similar even ctf_Monsoon in a reverse type style would be really cool.

Norris Scott
February 18, 2006, 5:20 am
DeMonIc: If you want, I could sketch out several reverse CTF maps for you-- since I'm good at designing the layouts to maps but can't really make them, you can use my ideas for your own :)

Hell, you could even give me themes you'd like to see in some of them :D

DeMonIc
February 18, 2006, 9:19 am
Nice call GO, I'll see what I can do with maps like that, or hell, contact soap himself.

Norris: any sketches are welcome, the theme is mostly decided by how nice the texture comes out :)

I'm going to make something out of OutofOrder's sketch today.

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 10:28 am
 Quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc
I'm going to make something out of OutofOrder's sketch today.

great, looking forward to it.

Atticus
February 23, 2006, 12:48 am
I have a really old sketch for a reverse map that I called ctf_Contrary. I was going to make it but I gave up on it because It was taking me too long. I will try to get a good picture of it and upload it sometime soon. It has a lot of cool spots where players only collide and where bullets only collide. Hope I can get it up soon.