( search forums )
var- Something Completely Different
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Swarmer
February 17, 2006, 7:08 am
This is one weird map that is filled with awesome glitches.

Please read this to understand what's going on:

A long time ago I was messing with Polyworks, trying to make a map just for saws. I eventually decided to go with a skiing kind of map. The whole surface was Ice, and when you go prone and move foward, you would propel ahead and could reach really high velocities.
The point was to get two people speeding straight toward each other, and kill each other as they hit. That would be boring after a while, so I added jumps. I made a big ramp in the middle and you could slice each other in mid air. It was pretty cool.

I started experimenting with the known glitches in Soldat. I added some jumppads on the sides. Pretty soon I discovered a glitch on my own (I think it has already been known): the black hole. If you compress a bunch of polys to a single point, a bunch of weird stuff happens.

A black hole creates a rectangular pattern around it. Bullets collide with this rectangle. I turned on a weapon mod with a rapid firing arrow shooter, and I marked the dimensions of the walls. It was defintely rectangular, although the position and size varied from time to time.
If a player were to enter this "black hole" rectangle, he would instantly respawn somewhere.
If a hand grenade was thrown into the black hole, EVERYONE would INSTANTLY die. The thrower of the grenade would get all of the kills (and one suicide).
Even more odd is that any object (health pack, grenade box, bonus, weapon) that fell inside the black hole would be instantly given to the server creator. The boxes would instantly respawn.

At first I thought that the boxes only respawned. Because of this, I created a "waterfall" of healthboxes that dropped down an empty void in the middle of the map. A skiing player could potentially catch one in mid air after jumping over a ramp. The boxes (and any player who fell off the ramp) would fall into the black hole, and thus respawn. This created a continous stream of health packs.

Pretty soon I realized that everytime the health pack fell into the black hole I would get full health again. I found out it worked for guns also. I tried grenades and EVERYONE DIED. It also said MULTIKILLx2. It was the coolest thing ever. Because of this I thought health packs and bonus' were given to everyone, which I discovered later was false. If any of you know how to change that, please let me know.

Anyways, here's a general overview of the map. The black hole is the big black thing in the middle. The bottom is a pit of lava. Excess health packs fall through there, out of the map (and respawn). People who go down there die.
http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/7420/lugepic18bl.png

Here's a closeup on the black hole and the ramps. Note that this is where the health pack waterfall falls through.
http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2313/luge46jl.png

Here's a closeup on the jumppad areas to access the different layers. Notice that the top is different from the right side. It's unfinished. I was going to have a special bonus-selection device there.
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/581/lugepic25kp.png

This is the "bonus selection device." It was going to stack a lot of them on top of each other. The player who goes on top would throw a grenade at the base of the polys and it would blast the bonus into the pit, falling into the black hole, theoretically giving everyone a powerup. Or you can just shoot it in. It's player collide only.
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/8121/lugepic31oi.png

Here's the file itself:
http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd8/198384/luge.PMS

So if someone wants to fix up the map and think of some idea for the black hole, then go for it. As for now, the map is just a curiosity and testing for black holes. But it's still fun as hell to ski around and saw people in midair.

Soulsnipa
February 17, 2006, 8:57 am
You dont need that many health pack spawns...you just need 1 and increaese the health pack to 15...

Deleted User
February 17, 2006, 4:16 pm
that looks alittle interesting.. ill try it later.

fed.eag.o
February 17, 2006, 6:21 pm
the abomb-polygon :/

OutofOrder
February 17, 2006, 6:34 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by fed.eag.othe abomb-polygon :/

Yeah, but still, this map looks like oriented to a specific gameplay function, not just a testing purpose like abomb had.
Good idea. Yet i wouldn't test it unless it was being hosted in a public server...

btw i think you should add the VAR tag to your thread title, like the rules say.

headstone
February 18, 2006, 1:46 am
Err... the download doesn't work for me.

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 3:29 am
Can someone link me to the a-bomb?

On topic: This map is fun, i played with 15 bots and a friend, we had a blast.

Raptor
February 18, 2006, 8:50 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SoulsnipaYou dont need that many health pack spawns...you just need 1 and increaese the health pack to 15...
Maybe he wants the health packs to fall in different trayectories everytime the spanw..