( search forums )
DM&HTF Erbium
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Quality Maps
The Geologist
February 18, 2006, 8:39 am
Well well...just when you thought you could sleep easy, I've decided release a rather overdue map. And with my time away I've been experimenting. With what you ask? A more realistic style of mapping. This is my attempt at the "ultra-realistic" style of mapping, or whatever the term may be. With that in mind, I present Erbium. Why erbium? It's a rare metallic element of course!

"Metallic erbium has a bright silvery luster. Erbium oxide, Er2O 3, is a rose-red compound slowly soluble in many mineral acids, forming a series of rose-colored salts, solutions of which have a sweet, astringent taste.

This explains the colors...but what about the gameplay?
*Supports DM, HTF, pointmatch, and rambo play.
*Not waypointed (yet! Soon!)
*Good for up to 10
*Thanks to XTender for his awesome lighting pack

Nerdy overview
Sexxah overview
Download!!11!

Questions? Comments? Bugs? Post 'em all and if need be I'll release an updated version. Enjoy!

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 9:10 am
its all eyecandy:) looks great.

i'll have it a go later.

m00`
February 18, 2006, 9:13 am
i lieks, just like all your other maps, the 3d look is nice too ;D

DeMonIc
February 18, 2006, 9:15 am
Saint Habbakuk, that looks awesome :o I'll be sure to playtest it, my ninja-sense tells me that this be default quality. The circular route seems a bit stretched though.

EDIT: I'm in love with this map: the gameplay is pure awesome. But there are numerous bouncy areas, like in the dark cavern, and the grassy area left of it. Also, at the bottom entrance to the area on the far right, the ceiling behaves weird and sometimes acts as an artillery for my grenades :)

The Geologist
February 18, 2006, 9:22 am
That would be because it's (supposed to be) an ovoid route, not a circular route ;D

Thanks for the comments, play it up...if anyone wants to host it, that would rock. Testing has went well so far, hope that holds true.

Soulsnipa
February 18, 2006, 9:33 am
Why is it ultra realistic. To be honest I prefered maps like emerald falls over this one in looks. However gameplay looks better on this one. Not saying this one is bad at all....the shading could be better I think.

XTender
February 18, 2006, 9:48 am
Nice Lighting effects :rolleyes:
You are finaly starting makeing nice looking Maps...

grand_diablo
February 18, 2006, 9:58 am
the middle part looks a bit as if it was cut out from Anna's Eskimo map :P

Besides that, this map looks awesome and also like great gameplay!

XTender
February 18, 2006, 10:03 am
btw. i think it will look better if the BG will not be comßpletly black .. also there are some shading issues but overall its great

Evolution
February 18, 2006, 11:59 am
Sexy... I love the shading work you did.

GluLm
February 18, 2006, 1:33 pm
Wow, I even want to prin the overview and display it in my room along with other beautiful maps like this. Amazing job on the colours and textures!
That part on the right could have been a tad bit darker though.
Anyway this is wonderful. :)

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 2:18 pm
very nice :D
intresting shading :)
i liek *d/l*

headstone
February 18, 2006, 2:38 pm
This is great. It's in the style of an official map, but plays and look better. I think it would be good for rambo, because of the circlular gameplay and low roof.

[edit:] OMG. I just played it on Leo's Realistic HTF, with like 10 people. This map is sweet. At first, I didn't like the little hiding places, but they're cool, because when you have the flag you can decide to be mobile and out in the open, or stashed away in a hole. (The latter works better with realistic).

I find the best places to go when carrying are low, in the black and low far left.

The Geologist
February 18, 2006, 6:17 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by grand_diablothe middle part looks a bit as if it was cut out from Anna's Eskimo map :P

Besides that, this map looks awesome and also like great gameplay!

lol...yes, I was concerned about this. Not too similar though. That was the first "experimental" block of polys I was messing with after I came up with the layout. This technique is actually pretty easy. Credit should be given to Anna, PS, and XTender for originating these maps though. It was by looking at their technique that I figured out a way to make these types of textures and the streaching work for me.

Quote:Originally posted by XTenderbtw. i think it will look better if the BG will not be comßpletly black .. also there are some shading issues but overall its great

Actually, it's not completly black...the lower portion is blue. I may make it more pronounced, or simply drag the map down farther along the barkground. I wanted kind a dark night sky feel on top with a soft blue/green background for the lit areas. I may change up the shading a bit if there's a second release.

No bugs yet?

XTender
February 18, 2006, 6:39 pm
The problem is that your mak is not dark and when you give him a dark BG then it is kind of brain[CENSORED] o_O

headstone
February 18, 2006, 6:54 pm
 Quote:No bugs yet?

No, besides a couple bouncy places that have already been mentioned.

And I think the backgroudns fine as it is.

Leo
February 18, 2006, 7:13 pm
I run this map at my HTF server and people like it. It means it's a success :)

OutofOrder
February 18, 2006, 7:16 pm
I don't have anything to add to what's said, but that only a geologist can get a pro realistic look of the ground. Still, don't expect him to know what the SKY has to look like, as that doesn't seem to be his specialty xD
Great work! I'll try the map out at Leo's.

Edit: wrong forum, perhaps?

XTender
February 18, 2006, 7:32 pm
btw. noone needs your thumb.db .. -_- .. Thats unprofessional

Raptor
February 18, 2006, 7:56 pm
This map is really good. Scenery and shading are really nice. But I think you should change that background color... it doesn't fit the shading and the map really well...

With this said, I just became a commander... thanks.

headstone
February 18, 2006, 10:15 pm
Guys, play it, don't just look at the overview. You'll see that the background colour is great.

chess
May 12, 2006, 2:39 pm
damn i cant download it...it looks great!