( search forums )
0 ping ?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
matthew016
February 18, 2006, 9:05 pm
Hi,
I have a server and sometimes I go play in it ...
But since the server is on my comp I have a 0 ping,
some people talk also about virtual lag & fake lag

But I don't know what that means,
and what that involves,
do I have any advantage to the others ?

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 9:15 pm
not really, exept you can /kill *there name here,caps count*
:P
other than that, i don't know

a-4-year-old
February 18, 2006, 9:16 pm
yeah you do, you have 0 ping, they have >0 ping.
virtual lag is lag.
fake lag is crappy 5 dollar calculators trying to play call of duty. get it?

matthew016
February 18, 2006, 9:18 pm
no

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 9:25 pm
me niether, lets be best friends

a-4-year-old
February 18, 2006, 9:54 pm
what do you not understand?

headstone
February 18, 2006, 10:07 pm
 Quote:virtual lag is lag.
fake lag is crappy 5 dollar calculators trying to play call of duty

bja888
February 18, 2006, 10:15 pm
I never classify types of lag with names but regeardless there are 2 kinds...
1) the connection to the server sucks
2) the server is about as powerfull as a toster

a-4-year-old
February 18, 2006, 11:01 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888I never classify types of lag with names but regeardless there are 2 kinds...
1) the connection to the server sucks
2) the server is about as powerfull as a toster

same thing, sept it is usually your fault, unless the server is infact as powerfull as a toster, or its on mars.
 Quote: virtual lag is lag.
fake lag is crappy 5 dollar calculators trying to play call of duty. get it?

Deleted User
February 18, 2006, 11:18 pm
I totally support the "noob guide" from now on. No buts.

Aegis
February 18, 2006, 11:35 pm
Proably what they mean by virtual and fake lag are ping(connection) lag and frame lag.
What they call 'Fake' Lag is proably Frame lag, or what is caused by your computer not having enough power to render your game fast enough. Usually caused by having not enough memory or a crappy video card. It seems to me it should be pretty hard to get framelag on Soldat.

'Virtual' Lag would be connection lag, and its a result of your connection speed to the server. In this case, if you are experiencing a lot of lag, there are two possible problems.

1) Your connection is lagging like crazy. Get a new ISP, or stop downloading pr0n. Also try to choose servers that have good ping for you, instead of just any server on the list.

2)The server is at fault, for whatever reason. If this is true, you will notice every one will be having high ping, not just you usually.

Also, having 0 ping does give you an advantage. I think if I remember, you get propelled much faster whenever you're shot, also just having such an incredibly low ping in general will give you the advantage because you see exactly what the server does and not from a lagged perspective (What the server was seeing 100 ms before, for instance)

FliesLikeABrick
February 19, 2006, 2:35 am
I would just like to post with the bit of information that this is all much less significant than anyone makes it out to be. When one person has 0 ping, it may make their shots count "more" if you want to think of it that way, but it works both ways. The other people are able to hit you more as well. Generally, people having better ping makes the entire game play more like it should, and thats really all there is to it. Common sense should tell you anything you need to know based on this fact.

GAMEOVER
February 19, 2006, 4:09 am
You can still have good ping and expierence problems players with higher pings have. For me optimal ping is between 30-70