( search forums )
M79 Shoot Actual Nades?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Antifate
February 18, 2006, 10:47 pm
As the title suggests, m79's shooting actual nades would help with the splash, as it would have none. Obviously, hits will still be OHKO, but when you miss, the nade will lay on the ground, instead of explode and splash people. The nade will still explode though, but in time.

GAMEOVER
February 22, 2006, 6:23 pm
They dont do that in real life they explode on contact.

a-4-year-old
February 22, 2006, 8:30 pm
nades have splash damage...

new idea:
m79 cannot carry nades?

Deleted User
February 23, 2006, 1:51 am
 Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERThey dont do that in real life they explode on contact.

Thank god for M203's then, GO, they don't explode half the time they hit anything.

Koon
February 23, 2006, 3:47 am
you could easily do this with the weapons file.

bja888
February 23, 2006, 6:11 am
I always though nade launchers operated on a fuse like a regular nade. Then if they hit something hard enough you figure they will explode. So I went in search of video to confirm my suspicions. This is the best I found. Since the guy holding the camera apparently has no idea where the nade is going to go, he doesn't look in the right direction fast enough. (I never use sarcasm ;) )

http://download.jacks-clan.com/nade.wmv

From that video I figure the that nades DO NOT explode on impact.
1) Time vs Distance, it took that long to get only that far. I figure it was sitting for a second before it exploded.
2) (most important) the direction of the explosion was pretty even from the canter of the cloud. Meaning... there was no momentum. The nade was going 0 miles an hour when it exploded.

My 2 cents...
Nade launchers should be on a fuse, but if you do that you will have to do it with regular nades as well. Meaning, game play will change. For the good or the bad, I don't know...
Nades should still collide but only explode x time after armed. I will have much more respect for m79 noobs if they can blow me out of the air. A 3 second fuse sounds reasonable...

Antifate
February 23, 2006, 1:42 pm
This will solve m79 jumping... Try to m79 jump and the nade will bounce right into your face...

dragontamer
February 24, 2006, 12:46 am
 Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERThey dont do that in real life they explode on contact.

Could we forget "real life" for a minute here?

In real life, we dont play CTF with guns. In real life, 2x Deagles will break your wrists. In real life, you got 3 dimentions.

Adding pointless features for sake of "realism" will demolish the essence of the game.

Now, for the actual _gameplay_ related issues:

Does this balance m79 weapons? Yes, I think so. Now we don't have the whole "jump and shoot" and propel you forward thing. Also, ricochet with m79 is how things are supposed to work anyway; now the weapon has a use other than my reaction > your reaction games, and has strategic value.

bja888
February 24, 2006, 1:50 am
I agree! Lets forget real life and focus on the gameplay! Regardless of weather you take nade jumping away from the noobs it will still happen. I have reached the point where I am learning new technique. I can nade jump a regualr nade now. Toss one in front of me, count to 3 1/2 and run and jump.
I have no proublems with nade jumping in one form or another. If they want to take 1/2 their helth so I can finish them off. I don't care!
I just want m79 shots to be something you can respect.

GAMEOVER
February 24, 2006, 6:57 am
 Quote:Originally posted by dragontamer Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERThey dont do that in real life they explode on contact.

Could we forget "real life" for a minute here?

In real life, we dont play CTF with guns. In real life, 2x Deagles will break your wrists. In real life, you got 3 dimentions.

Adding pointless features for sake of "realism" will demolish the essence of the game.

Now, for the actual _gameplay_ related issues:

Does this balance m79 weapons? Yes, I think so. Now we don't have the whole "jump and shoot" and propel you forward thing. Also, ricochet with m79 is how things are supposed to work anyway; now the weapon has a use other than my reaction > your reaction games, and has strategic value.

You make no sense, its a bad idea period.

Outcast
February 24, 2006, 10:27 am
 Quote:Originally posted by AntifateThis will solve m79 jumping... Try to m79 jump and the nade will bounce right into your face...

Solve? I like it I don't want it solved :S

Deleted User
February 24, 2006, 10:37 am
Yeah and make the deagle shoot laws... Stupid idea.

Flying_Dutchman
February 25, 2006, 11:49 am
I Don't like this idea. I can't imagine the m79 shooting regular nades. It's just... wrong.
I love the m79 as it is now. Although they shouldn't have increased the shooting range with the last update. Same goes for spas.
That's about my only complain about the new version which goes totally off-topic and is way to late... so nevermind what I just said.
On the Inf Playground server they increased the reload time of the m79 which quite solves the problem.

Alamo
February 25, 2006, 12:33 pm
 Quote:
From http://www.gruntonline.com/US_Forces/US_Weapons/us_weapons4.htm

The grenades were stabilised in flight by fins and by spin imparted by grooves in the rifled barrel. The shell travelled with a muzzle velocity of only 75-metres per second (compared to around 800-metres per second for a machine gun) and a trained man could direct a grenade through a house window from 150-metres.

As the grenade spiralled through the air, the rotation caused weights in the fuze mechanism to arm the grenade when it had flown 30-metres, after which the grenade would detonate on impact. Thus, the warhead could not be accidentally detonated through a fall or bump or being struck by a bullet. The minimum range also prevented the launcher from placing himself in the grenade's fragmentation radius.

There was an animation on the forums one day...
The M79 uses grenades which explode on impact - this is also in Soldat.
In fact, if you wanted the gun to be realistic, it would only deliver a bruise in a radius of 30m in the game.

headstone
February 26, 2006, 3:16 pm
WOW

That is how you fix the m79! By making it realistic, Except instead of 30m, just a few feet. This way, idiots can't run into you and m79 you from point blank range. If they tried, the nade would just fall to the ground and be a dud. I like it.

Alamo
February 26, 2006, 5:44 pm
nooooo don't do that. don't even think about it! that would totally mess up the m79 - no way!

Deleted User
February 26, 2006, 8:03 pm
It's the most used weapon and that right there means it's a balance problem...

edak
February 26, 2006, 9:19 pm
bad idea. its just too far-fetched

headstone
February 26, 2006, 9:52 pm
Far fetched?

It's from real life!

Lots of games have weapons with minimum range.

dragontamer
February 27, 2006, 1:33 am
 Quote:Originally posted by headstoneFar fetched?

It's from real life!

Forget about real life.

Its a good idea; period :-p

Keep the 30 meters idea. That would be a range of about 200 pixels (about ................... that far on screen) Well, i'd prefer if it was timer based actually. .1 seconds away (or however long it is for ................... a nade to travel that length)

bja888
February 27, 2006, 2:59 pm
I don't like the idea or having the m79 round go dead. On the other hand I still love the ieda. Like Zamorak said, it would solve the balence proublem. That's how the knife abuse got solved last version.

Brillmongo
February 27, 2006, 7:41 pm
About the topic, the m72 LAW (as in Light Anti-tank Weapon) is NOT fired from the hip and the rockets fly in a straight line, why isn't anyone whining about this to be fixed?

Deleted User
February 28, 2006, 12:53 am
Bink and Movement account would fix m79. Seriously.

bja888
February 28, 2006, 7:18 am
 Quote:Originally posted by BrillmongoAbout the topic, the m72 LAW (as in Light Anti-tank Weapon) is NOT fired from the hip and the rockets fly in a straight line, why isn't anyone whining about this to be fixed?

Changing to law as quoted will not have a big effect on the game like the m79 problem.

bja888
February 28, 2006, 7:20 am
 Quote:Originally posted by JellyBink and Movement account would fix m79. Seriously.

No it wont. I will still get killed by a point blank shot in the face. Then the guy will talk [CENSORED] about how good he is even though he is dead too...

BigCheezIt
March 3, 2006, 2:13 am
 Quote:Originally posted by dragontamer Quote:Originally posted by headstoneFar fetched?

It's from real life!

Forget about real life.

Its a good idea; period :-p

Keep the 30 meters idea. That would be a range of about 200 pixels (about ................... that far on screen) Well, i'd prefer if it was timer based actually. .1 seconds away (or however long it is for ................... a nade to travel that length)

200 pixels is a lot bigger than that by the way.

Soldier
March 3, 2006, 4:37 am
what the hell

Soldier
March 3, 2006, 4:37 am
what

DT
March 3, 2006, 6:46 am
It's called the self made pixel system.... instead of the metric system...

bja888
March 3, 2006, 7:42 am
Pixels are not a set unit of measure like cm or inch.
I could set a 22 inch scrren to 800x600. Every pixel would be huge.

teacher
March 4, 2006, 1:51 pm
Yea I think it's a good idea, the timer thing.

Swarmer
March 5, 2006, 2:23 am
Just mod this in the weapons.ini file and try it out for yourself to see how it works.

Boer
March 9, 2006, 2:16 pm
can you do that???
The timer would
a: solve suicide problems in the game(own teammate in front of gun) etc..
b: Make it less of a inyourface gun
c: Promt the need to take away the increased bast danger for the owner of the shell which is a cause of major consern!!
d : provide us with more strategies i.e richchet it of a wall into a base!!

Also , to be implemented :
e: Random explosion force , thus always a chance of not totally killing, but the average damage should stay the same so sometimes the explosions ROCK!!
f: chance of weapon to be complete DUD (1 in 50), doing the same damage as a normal bullet going that speed
g: Lastly the timer should not be constant , but randomly vary by 10ms or so .

bja888
March 9, 2006, 2:44 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Boer
d : provide us with more strategies i.e richchet it of a wall into a base!!

Agree! I remember, a few versions ago when sniper was not delayed...
There was a stand off in ctf_voland at blue base. Me in the base with red flag and someone else out side the base with my flag. I did a test shot to see if I could squeese a shot thourgh that smal hole and I noticed the angle of ricochet. So I angles my self accordingly, waited for him to step back just a little. Then hit him dead on from off the wall.
...I'm such a hax0r.
 Quote:Originally posted by Boer
f: chance of weapon to be complete DUD (1 in 50), doing the same damage as a normal bullet going that speed

More like 1 in 500.