( search forums )
SoldatSource: CTF
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Rambo_6
February 24, 2006, 2:38 am
i just finished making this...

It's a fully functional 3d tribute to soldat. So far it works flawlessly...

So yeah, discuss i guess. Just don't pass judgement untill you actually play a game of it with other people. It's surprisingly fun.

And, yes, i know i went against all of MM's beleifs. It's just a tribute, though. :P

http://forum.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?p=1275072

Koon
February 24, 2006, 2:54 am
err, the download link doesn't seem to be working so well.

peemonkey
February 24, 2006, 2:58 am
It's good to see you've got it comming along so well :)

Rambo_6
February 24, 2006, 3:04 am
I've added more download links.

GAMEOVER
February 24, 2006, 6:49 am
Not bad bro nice work

livingdalife
February 24, 2006, 12:03 pm
to bad you need gmod and HL2 Stoopid as!

bond_james_bond
February 24, 2006, 5:00 pm
the database is down?

"Database Down!

Hey! The name of the day must have an 'a' in it because the forums are down again!

Just calm down and shut up. They'll be back."

That's funny, why cant Soldatforums do that

Echo_Trail
February 25, 2006, 9:47 am
I think it looks great and all, but,...
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this just CS revisited?
If we should have 3D soldat, it should still be platform style i think. Like Super Smash Bros.: Melee.. Google it if you want.
Thank you, echo_trail

GAMEOVER
February 25, 2006, 11:09 am
 Quote:Originally posted by livingdalifeto bad you need gmod and HL2 Stoopid as!

IF YOU READ it clearly states that, go sit in the corner.

Rambo_6
February 25, 2006, 2:52 pm
Echo_trail, if you meant that this should be a sidescrolling 3d game, i disagree with you...

If you want a sidescrolling version of soldat, just play the original. Frogboy said something insightful about this.

It's like buying a car that goes the same speed as your old car but uses 3 times more gas. A 3d sidescroller is a waste of 3d.

thekingkitty
February 25, 2006, 3:08 pm
my computer is crap so i will probably never play this :(

Echo_Trail
February 26, 2006, 6:14 pm
I'd say it's more a waste of 3d to make a game, pretty similar to any other first person shooter game. Soldat is soldat because of what IT is. If you are going to make it 3d like halo and stuff, you might as well just download CS and install a custom skin.

Rambo_6
February 26, 2006, 6:18 pm
The gameplay differs a lot from CS:S.

You don't have the same, linear gameplay as you would in CS:S. In CS:S, Every time you die, you wat for the rest of your team to die, then you repeat it again. SoldatSource puts you in the action again the instant you die. The air battles are much different from those cover-based battles of CS:S (and there are no stupid messed up hitboxes either).

Again, you can't pass judgement until you play it. The gameplay is much different from that of any other bland FPS.

Deleted User
February 26, 2006, 6:28 pm
I ´wanna dl but... i have cappy computer :(

Deleted User
February 26, 2006, 7:54 pm
Echo there's no need to [CENSORED]ing flame.

I like it...

Rambo_6
February 27, 2006, 3:11 am
i might also use some custom models by Peemonkey, if i can figure out how to make a client download the files (and if the files don't take forever to get).

Echo_Trail
February 27, 2006, 8:21 am
Zamorak, shut the [CENSORED] up, okay? I'm just giving ol' Rambo some feedback on this, which is totally allowed since it is in the "General Discussions" forum.

"Again, you can't pass judgement until you play it."
Rambo, you got a good point there. I might have my... prejudices towards this game, but I will try it out none the less.

Chakra`
February 27, 2006, 9:09 am
*sniff* ... I love watching you guys growing up. Warms this old geezer's heart.

Echo_Trail
February 27, 2006, 10:11 pm
Oh Chakra`, mod me a beard.

nfsjunkie91
February 27, 2006, 10:35 pm
Great mod, rambo, i've played it, and i have to say you have done the weapons well. And the LAW flies straight, i wanna see that in Soldat. ANYWAYS, there are some glitches with the game, like the law firing from above your players head while crouching, but good overall, nice work with the jets, but you have unlimited fuel I believe :/ might want to implement that if possible, and if you can make custom models work, that would be sechs.

Rambo_6
February 28, 2006, 2:38 am
Custom models will come later after I learn a little more about this whole thing.

The LAW spawns the rocket bullet above the player's head, because otherwise the rocket is spawned insode your soldier and you instantly explode. It's barely noticeable anyways.

The unlimited jet fuel is a good thing, since there isn't a known way to limit the jet fuel on each map. I don't think it's possible. :/

Hopefully i can get this gamemode to be a little more well known in the Gmod community so some people might make a few dedicated servers with it...

reckon
February 28, 2006, 3:00 am
I wish I had half life 2 and the means to try this out, it looks really promising.
But Ill just have to stand on the side and cheer you on, good job rambo.

Deleted User
February 28, 2006, 4:49 am
Suggestion: could've used some crappy Quake Engine. :P btw good job.

-VzX- Silverflame
February 28, 2006, 5:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by JellySuggestion: could've used some crappy Quake Engine. :P btw good job.

quake is good :D :D :D

Rambo_6
February 28, 2006, 1:38 pm
Surprisingly, i have never played Quake either.

Judging by those annoying 'HEADSHOT' sounds that all those CS:S servers use, i think i'm better off without Quake.

-VzX- Silverflame
February 28, 2006, 2:59 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by ZamorakEcho there's no need to [CENSORED]ing flame.

I like it...

i see the word flame... -_-; what is it?? nvm lol!!!

rambo 6... why dont u like quake???

on topic: IT ROCKS!!!! im playing it now!!! (heh, my computer is actually running it!!!!)

Rambo_6
March 1, 2006, 4:47 am
You're playing SoldatSource, or Quake?

I'm currently working on making some more CTF maps.

Deleted User
March 1, 2006, 4:51 am
Rambo, if you inflict bullet slowness to Soldat: Source.. you will get the outcome of the nailgun in Team Fortess Classic.

Rambo_6
March 1, 2006, 1:35 pm
I'm not sure how to slow down bullets or lenghten the tracers...

Any help with that would be appreciated, though i doubt any of you would know how.

King Bling
March 2, 2006, 12:20 am
Well, the day my computer can run HL2 is the day bush makes a rational decision. Looks cool but oh well. The graphics card and hard drives are the only decent things about my computer. Everything else is the old frail man compared to the Acers and alienwares my friends all have.
No Time, No money

Deleted User
March 2, 2006, 4:40 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6 I'm not sure how to slow down bullets or lenghten the tracers...

Any help with that would be appreciated, though i doubt any of you would know how.

Just make a Quake mod. Please. Half Life 2 is something only high end people have.

livingdalife
March 2, 2006, 5:06 am
Or have it run it's own 3D engine! much better!

Rambo_6
March 3, 2006, 12:12 am
If Quake uses Lua, then i'll gladly port my gamemode to it.

Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Deleted User
March 3, 2006, 12:28 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Jelly Quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6 I'm not sure how to slow down bullets or lenghten the tracers...

Just make a Quake mod. Please. Half Life 2 is something only high end people have.

Err...just modify your .cfg to your needs, it's bound to run,
and hl2 works with dx7 too (not certain, but something around that version for sure).

Deleted User
March 3, 2006, 2:00 am
my gfxcard is DX7 and hl2 runs fine..

Deleted User
March 3, 2006, 2:12 am
FYI, The headshot sounds are from Unreal Tournament.

Rambo_6
March 4, 2006, 4:57 am
Well, i just got the news that Garry is redoing a part of the Lua bindings engine used in Gmod. I'll have to redo the script to include more C++ based code in order for it to work with the next release of Garry's Mod.

Yippee.