( search forums )
MPK Oldies, lots of 'em (DM - 18 maps).
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Holden
February 24, 2006, 3:30 pm
I've been gone from the Soldat mapping scene for about two years (last seen feb 2004, most maps made nov-dec 2003).

And, seeing that about everyone is better than me now, I have a lot to learn. While learning, I thought I'd throw these up here, because... well, I kinda like them. They're ugly as hell, and I don't know about all the elements, but I'd like you guys comments about the gameplay.

Remember, these were all made before any of the new maps came out (AirPirates, TropicCave etc.), during the 1.1.5, maybe 1.2-period. So, again, I know they're ugly, but is the gameplay alright, do I have something, are they fun to play?.

Very thankful for all replies, thank you for your time. Oh, and they're all DM/TM etc. And I think most (if not all) of them are waypointed. But... they're still old...=(... ;D.

MAPS

Angkor Warfare
[IMAGE]

Angkor Warfare 2 - A Bridge Too Far
[IMAGE]

Cool Your Jets
[IMAGE]

Creature in the Surfers Lagoon
[IMAGE]

Evil Plans of Planet Spectra
[IMAGE]

Hollowed Out
[IMAGE]

Hollowed Out Redux
[IMAGE]

Hollywood Babylon
[IMAGE]

Island Hoppers
[IMAGE]

Island Hoppers Reloaded (Island Hoppers 2)
[IMAGE]

Island Hoppers Revolutions (Island Hoppers 3)
[IMAGE]

Made From Technetium
[IMAGE]

Me Rock You Snow
[IMAGE]

Mermaid Love
[IMAGE]

Surf Terror
[IMAGE]

Take Me Down
[IMAGE]

Taxidermist Surf
[IMAGE]

The Wax Cake
[IMAGE]

DOWNLOAD

[URL]

(PS: Scroll down to get to the download link!) =).

That was a long post. Anyway, enjoy and drop a comment if you like or dislike any (or all) map(s). Take care!

(*off to learn PolyWorks*)

Soulsnipa
February 24, 2006, 3:33 pm
reminds me of my old maps. I remember your island hopper maps...or at least somones island hopper maps. Cool stuff man even though they are pretty ugly.

Holden
February 24, 2006, 3:37 pm
Thanks man, of course they're ugly, but I still hope/think they're fun to play. I cringe when I look at some of them... ugh. I'd think my IH-maps, you were always around back then as well. =). And I remember you commenting on them!

Mothafix
February 24, 2006, 4:47 pm
Some of the maps are quite empty and gives poor feeling :D

Holden
February 24, 2006, 5:47 pm
You've tried playing them...?

OutofOrder
February 24, 2006, 6:38 pm
I haven't tried any of those, but by looking at the OVs, i think Hollowed Out Redux and Surf Terror should play quite nicely (depending on the map size.. both should be medium sized). You could remake those :) And Mermaid love seems quite interesting, i wonder what's the jet fuel over there.

Holden
February 24, 2006, 6:43 pm
Thanks a lot for the comment, uhmn, Surf Terror is bigger than Hollowed Out Redux, but they're both pretty medium-sized, yes. =). Go ahead, try them, you know you want to... or rather, you know you don't want to risk your eyes...but you should try anyway. =D.

Swebonny
February 24, 2006, 6:48 pm
I really dont know but...i have a feeling that theese maps are much beutifuler than thoose Detailed maps.

Like Island hoppers. Give me a strange nice feeling :)

Holden
February 24, 2006, 7:43 pm
Thanks! That really warms my mapmaking heart! You try them, and come back to me with a review! Err... if you like, of course! But thanks. Comments like that are worth waiting for, even if they aren't necessarily true (more beautiful...nah) =D.

-VzX- Silverflame
February 24, 2006, 7:55 pm
ISLAND HOPPERS 1,2, and 3 ROCK!!! THX HOLDEN - u still got it!!

Holden
February 24, 2006, 8:05 pm
Whoa, that was an enthusiastic response! Thanks a bunch! The question, though, is: Did I ever have it? ;D. Nah, I'll get back to you all with remakes of the IHs (because I like 'em) and some other maps, sometime... in the future... somewhere. =D.

Soulsnipa
February 24, 2006, 8:53 pm
if u need some tutorials you can start here:

http://sml.u13.net/tutorial

GluLm
February 24, 2006, 11:45 pm
Hey I remember your maps! I used to play on many of them back then.
My favourite ones were Spectra, Hollowed Out, Mermaid Love (which still looks unfinished imho), Surf Terror (played a lot on this one).
The background in Taxidermist Surf is still too bright, it could have been an interesting map.
Oh and, I've had a nightmare about Angkor Warfare once... spooky eh? :|
Good to see you're still around though. I kind of forgot these maps were made by you.

Holden
February 25, 2006, 12:34 am
GluLm, it's comments like that that make me happy about making these maps in the first place. Truly, truly made my night.

I'm so happy so many of you aren't ragging down on them because of the looks, and that many of you appreciated them back in the day! Warms my heart, I tell you... =D.

GAMEOVER
February 25, 2006, 5:33 am
All of them are so thin and stick figure like as well as dull. You can have good looks and great gameplay. Id of liked to see all that work you put into all 18 of those maps into 1 single map. Its about quality not quantity, well to me anyway.

Deleted User
February 25, 2006, 5:40 pm
Island hoppers 1, 2, and 3 FTW.

Swebonny
February 25, 2006, 8:00 pm
Meeh i dont know how to review but :D

I really like the gameplay. Yeah you maybe fall down some of the times but, so fun to fly to one island to another :D

Point? hmm 89/100

Remember this is a very good score :D

Eagles_Arrows
February 25, 2006, 8:39 pm
Great mappack, I like the gameplay on most of them.

Raptor
February 26, 2006, 1:34 am
Maybe they're old, but I think if modified, they would be really popular! (like the old days)

Captain Ben
February 26, 2006, 4:23 am
Are the Island Hopper maps waypointed? Very sexy, but my connection is spiking so I can only use bots for the moment.