( search forums )
grenade collide delay..
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
February 28, 2006, 8:46 pm
i think there should be grenade collide delay..

it works like this:

when you throw a grenade at someone, it explodes when it hits him. instead, the grenade shouldn't collide with the soldier before 2-3 secs has passed, so the guy has a chance to take cover first.
this will reduce the use of grenade, it will be more realistic, and fun.

bja888
March 1, 2006, 10:36 am
No it wont! 1.2.1 (or 1.3, I forget) was like that. Every time you ran at someone to and tossed a nade at them it went though them. It was soooooooooo lame!! Nades should explode on impact, m79 should not.

bl00dy_n0se
March 1, 2006, 12:06 pm
I would say keep the nades as they are now...
One could create a special mod with this nade collide delay, but in my opinion one should not change the nades.
And I think that most people have this opinion of the nades, dunno why

Yuth
March 1, 2006, 3:00 pm
I agree with HHH, the grenades are lame blowing up when hitting colliders and soldiers.
It should have delay.

The grenades should bounce off the soldier as it bounces off walls.
Instead of blowing up when hitting it should only take a tad of HP.

GluLm
March 1, 2006, 3:25 pm
I agree with HHH too. The grenades are overused (just check some servers' stats, they often come before m79!).
bja888: you're mistaking something there. Grenades have never been like that.

Having a short delay after colliding is one of the best ideas I've ever seen!
Excellent idea! I'm all for it!

Swarmer
March 1, 2006, 5:37 pm
No offense, but I hate this idea. Nades are buggy enough as they are. Half the time they collide but dont do any damage. Giving them delay would make them completely useless. If they don't collide with people then the only time they would explode is after the fuse is out. No one is going to be standing around a big pile of grenades. Currently as it is, most of the time someone dies from a nade is from getting hit directly or walking over one. If they dont collide when you walk over one, they will never do any significant damage. Besides, grenades already take a lot of skill to use. It also takes some skill to dodge them, which is an important part of the game.

bja888
March 1, 2006, 6:32 pm
From Soldat manual update 1.3.1 (09.12.2005)
http://www.soldat.pl/man/manual-en.html
 Quote:- Fixed grenade not exploding in close hit

I know it's not "realistic" but it is fun as hell. Matter of fact, put it in realistic mode. I hardly ever play that because it is too slow. You can go ahead and slow it down more.

lithium
March 1, 2006, 7:35 pm
No. As Swarmer said, nades aren't dependable enough for us to start screwing with them.

zyxstand
March 1, 2006, 10:43 pm
i got a better idea...
firstly i think it's a good ideas for nades not to explode on impact. It's very unrealistic. To compensate, make the nade explosion time 2 seconds (or the harder thrown the longer time) and make them deal more damage, that way it won't be impossibly hard to kill someone!
Maybe loss of mobility when close enough could also well compensate for its weakness...

Captain Ben
March 2, 2006, 7:24 am
 Quote:Originally posted by zyxstand
Maybe loss of mobility when close enough could also well compensate for its weakness...

Then what's the point, Zyxstand?

Yuth
March 2, 2006, 4:45 pm
It's impossible to dodge a directly thrown grenade in close range.
And it kills on hit.

That's why I agree with collide delay.
Most servers has four grenades, and most of my deaths are from grenades.

Let's say, harder you throw, the faster it explodes after colliding ?
And it shouldn't be between seconds, maybe milliseconds.

If it hits a soldier at full speed it would explode right after hitting, so that you have a chance to survive the blast.

Swarmer
March 2, 2006, 7:37 pm
Grenades dont kill on hit. They SHOULD, but usually don't, becuase of some weird lag glitch. Well, for me anyways.

If you are in close range, then you can throw your own nade at them, or shoot them.

Is the only purpose of changing this for realism? Since when was realism important. And it's not like exploding on contact is impossible. Maybe they are special nades. Have you ever played F.E.A.R.? The nades there explode on contact with a person too.

Nade spamming was never really a big problem. They are buggy enough as they are; for me, I have to hit someone with at least 2 or 3 to kill them.

If there isn't a problem, don't fix it.

GluLm
March 2, 2006, 9:09 pm
There is a problem, let's suggest some ideas to fix it.
This one is perfectly fair enough to be in the game.

The Geologist
March 2, 2006, 9:30 pm
Meh...this doesn't seem like the solution to fix problems with nades. This does nothing for the main source of nade related deaths and problems: nade spamming. Nades do not consistantly kill in one hit, and since you can already throw them out and wait before they explode, why mess with things? Seems like an unnecessary solution for this particular issue, one that imo has been improved upon considerably after the last update.

zyxstand
March 2, 2006, 9:32 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Captain Ben Quote:Originally posted by zyxstand

Then what's the point, Zyxstand?

to make it more realistic cuz nades don't explode on contact in real life...

Yuth
March 3, 2006, 12:18 am
You don't find it stupid having to jump every time a nade is on the ground ??
You have to jump over the nade, cause if you touch the nade you die.

I'm tired of jumping over each [CENSORED]ing nade on the ground...
It's also getting real annoying dying by nades all the time.

Imagine there's like two dudes aiming for only you, and they both throw all their nades (Usually four nades) which makes it 8 nades. Boom boom boom boom pah DEAD / LAME.

Along with the delay, why not also add the possibility to pick a nade up from the ground ?
That would be awesome.

Could be a button to pick up and throw only.
Like, holding it and letting go.
Allowing weapons to give damage as well.

zyxstand
March 3, 2006, 2:57 am
in this case, picking up nades would prove to be useful and realistic, adding more strategy to the game. FAR less nade spamming!

Deleted User
March 3, 2006, 4:22 am
nades exploding on contact was always a bad idea... :(

DT
March 3, 2006, 6:48 am
.... what you would rather get knocked out by a nade slaming into your face then exploding?!

bja888
March 3, 2006, 7:42 am
 Quote:Originally posted by DT.... what you would rather get knocked out by a nade slaming into your face then exploding?!

lmfao

Swarmer
March 3, 2006, 8:38 am
Who cares about realism. That shouldn't be a factor to consider at all.

Soldat nades have been this way for as long as i can remember. Changing them to this would completely change the way they can be used. There was never really a nade spamming problem. It isn't too big of a problem. And who cares if you have to jump over nades. That's just how they are, and how gameplay has become. You don't have to change an entire aspect of gameplay just to fix a minor problem. This would not be a tiny change. It would be a major change. It would create a HUGE change in gameplay style, and would be a big inconvenience.

Yuth
March 3, 2006, 1:43 pm
I find nades as a big problem.

The nades are used way too much, cause they're so easy to kill with.
That's why I support this.

I don't find it amusing killing soldiers with nades and dying by them constantly.
Soon I'll be calling Soldat GRENADERS 2D.

And this is not just about "realism" it's about balance.
Grenades are used way too much cause of their advantage.

Swarmer
March 3, 2006, 8:07 pm
If you dumb down grenades then you have no seperation between good and moderate players. The use of grenades is basically the main distinction between them. Any player who's practiced enough can own with a Ruger or M79, but the person who can master grenades has the greater advantage.

To use grenades effectively takes a lot of skill. Spamming randomly gets a few kills, but in the end, it's detrimental to them since it prevents them from firing.

If anything, we should FIX nades, and make them have better hit detection.

GluLm
March 3, 2006, 8:43 pm
Yuth is entirely right here.
Let's nerf these damn overused grenades by adding a collide delay already!

bja888
March 3, 2006, 11:26 pm
I'm with swarmer.

I can doge most nades where as I just drop a nade in a noobs path and let him step on it. How you use nades and how they effect you is dependent on your skill level.

Lets stop adding features (and games) and work on your current bugs MM!

Raptor
March 4, 2006, 1:16 am
Well, since Soldat is a 2d game, I think this will work!

bja888
March 4, 2006, 4:23 am
I like how your are complaining about point-blank nades with no mention of a point-blank m79 noob blast. Since there is a delay on only one of those weapons that means one takes a little more timing than the other.

You figure out which should be fixed first...

Yuth
March 4, 2006, 2:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Swarmer

Any player who's practiced enough can own with a Ruger or M79, but the person who can master grenades has the greater advantage.

To use grenades effectively takes a lot of skill. Spamming randomly gets a few kills, but in the end, it's detrimental to them since it prevents them from firing.

If anything, we should FIX nades, and make them have better hit detection.

Anyone can drop nades on the ground and wait for someone to walk on it.
And to throw it directly on someone doesn't take "a lot of skill"...
It only takes aiming, it's not hard to put the cursor at someone and Hit&Hold E.

Mostly it's the part with it exploding if you walk on it.
Since this is 2D, there's no way of "walking by", so you have to jump over it.

That's why Grenade Delay would be good to this problem.
It would explode "after colliding", not "when colliding".

LMAO, just out of the blue, I was thinking... Why not make futuristical nades ?? xD
Nades which IMPLODES instead of EXPLODES ?!?! XDXDXDXD

The soldiers would be dragged into a small black hole made by detonation of the nade.
And you can see it rip him apart as he's sucked in.

Though that would only happen if you're close to the black hole.

Nuts
March 4, 2006, 2:37 pm
I agree and disagree, soldat is soldat, it has wide open battles, where most of the time you just fly and jump. So it is too hard to put the nade on the ground and expect someone will come in the blowing time into the place where nade was.

Because some people dont like this feature, lets make it as option, so you could choose nade style when you make server.

Yuth
March 4, 2006, 5:39 pm
Nuts, when some soldier is on the ground, you can always just throw a nade underneath him.
Which will blow him up and he'll die in an instant.

In servers now days, there's always nades on the ground.
When you need to ground to restore fuel, you have a big chance of dying by nades.

I don't like it at all.
That's one of the reasons I don't play Soldat much anymore.

And this shouldn't be a [CENSORED]ing "Server Option", it should be a DEFAULT.
Now I have made myself clear about this, hope you understand the problem.

bja888
March 4, 2006, 6:17 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Yuth
Mostly it's the part with it exploding if you walk on it.
Since this is 2D, there's no way of "walking by", so you have to jump over it.

Yes its a 2D game, you have a 360 degree range move movement. If less than 20 degrees is blocked you have 340 other places you can go. Plus, if you cannot just over a nade on the ground then you need to spend some time in practicing vs bots.

GluLm
March 5, 2006, 1:19 am
It's not only about avoiding a grenade on the ground but people throwing grenades while airborne at other airborne players. If you're like 10 pixels away from the other guy, the grenade will still explode after 0.00001 second.
Grenades aren't proximity mines. A small delay after collision would be enough to fix the massive grenade abuse.

Swarmer
March 5, 2006, 2:17 am
Grenades take a lot of skill... If you just "put your cursor on someone and hold E" to hit them, then I'm sure you haven't gotten many nade kills. Nades have a variable trajectory, making it much more versatile than the M79 and much harder to use. Plus, you can bounce it around and stuff.

Also, good players dont walk. The only times people walk right into a nade are if its right in front of them or if they are walking, not jumping. Most people hop and skip along the ground, which already lessens the chance of detonating them.

At the most, nades that are laying on the ground shouldn't detonate on contact, but ones that hit someone directly should. I don't mind the walk-on-nades thing is changed, but mid-air collisions should defintely explode.

And about the blowing up 10 pixels away: we should just bring back 1.2.1 nades, which had an arming delay. The didn't collide with anything for the first .3 seconds or so. I liked those.

bja888
March 5, 2006, 5:36 am
I hated those....

Deleted User
March 5, 2006, 3:04 pm
Maybe nades are used a lot because everyone has them when they spawn *shock*

Nuts
March 5, 2006, 4:04 pm
No its not about that, i usually make server where you dont have nades on start, and still people uses them.

Swarmer
March 5, 2006, 5:57 pm
I think people use nades because they are good. But actually, not starting out with nades is a cool idea. It'll put more emphasis on capturing the enemy boxes.

I think we should make bullets not collide with players. They don't take skill to use. Any newb can spam some bullets and kill some people. It's impossible to dodge them when they are in point blank anyways. And everyone starts out with so many. I hate how you have to duck or jump over bullets to not get hit. Plus, bullets are so unrealistic. They should kill in one shot and move faster. You shold make it so bullets only hurt people when someone stands still for 4 seconds and gets hit and presses the "OK" button on a confirmation pop-up confirming that you got hit.

Yuth
March 5, 2006, 10:43 pm
Swarmer, you're not funny.
The grenades need delay because they are a problem as they are now.

bja888
March 5, 2006, 11:29 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SwarmerI think we should make bullets not collide with players. They don't take skill to use. Any newb can spam some bullets and kill some people. It's impossible to dodge them when they are in point blank anyways. And everyone starts out with so many. I hate how you have to duck or jump over bullets to not get hit. Plus, bullets are so unrealistic. They should kill in one shot and move faster. You shold make it so bullets only hurt people when someone stands still for 4 seconds and gets hit and presses the "OK" button on a confirmation pop-up confirming that you got hit.

LMFAO!!!
(I almost fell out of my chair)

btw....
DONT [CENSORED] WITH THE NADES!

Swarmer
March 5, 2006, 11:33 pm
I don't see how nades are a big problem. They are just part of the game, as much as bullets are. Besides, it's the servers fault they are overused, not anything with the game itself. Servers should limit nades to 3 or less per person. Then they only start out with 1, and everything is fair.

a-4-year-old
March 6, 2006, 12:05 am
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888From Soldat manual update 1.3.1 (09.12.2005)
http://www.soldat.pl/man/manual-en.html
 Quote:- Fixed grenade not exploding in close hit

RTFM!!!!!!
no way.

Yuth
March 6, 2006, 12:49 am
Sure, but most servers has 4/5 grenades.
And that's not really what it's about either.

What it's about is that it hits on impact, that's what I see as the real problem.
When you run around and suddenly you die by a grenade that has been thrown for like 4 seconds before you even arrived at that area.

You can just drop a grenade and assume someone is landing right beside it and walking on it.
Well you already know that, I have said it many times now.

This would fix that problem with the grenade.

Swarmer
March 6, 2006, 12:58 am
It would fix that problem, but cause new ones. If you walk on a nade then it's your fault. They aren't invisible, and you aren't forced to walk along and touch every part of the ground you can.

Anyways, I wouldn't mind if the walk-on-a-nade thing was changed. This can be done by making nades that are lying on the ground not explode when it touches a person. But a nade flying in the air or ricocheting off a wall better kill someone on contact, or you've just wasted a whole dimension of the game.

GluLm
March 6, 2006, 1:45 am
Yes then why not simply setting the default grenades amout to 2 instead?
But it's true, you can't remove the fact that grenades explode when you walk on them...
However reducing the amount of grenade you get when spawing to only 1 would add more thrill.

That's it: when a player spawns he should have only 1 grenade no matter what!

a-4-year-old
March 6, 2006, 2:00 am
 Quote:Originally posted by YuthSwarmer, you're not funny.
The grenades need delay because they are a problem as they are now.

bold is out of style

and that was very funny, you along with anyone who gets pissed any time they see spam in the bashpit, have no sense of humor.

bja888
March 6, 2006, 7:46 am
 Quote:Originally posted by GluLmYes then why not simply setting the default grenades amout to 2 instead?
But it's true, you can't remove the fact that grenades explode when you walk on them...
However reducing the amount of grenade you get when spawing to only 1 would add more thrill.

That's it: when a player spawns he should have only 1 grenade no matter what!

Come on, now your [CENSORED]ing with special game types like dogeball. Admin should have absolute power over the server, end of story! If they cannot run their server well then don't go to it.

In files we trust :D

Notkeiran
March 6, 2006, 4:55 pm
Nades are fine as they are right now. Tell me, if the nades did not explode as they collided, how the hell am I suppose to nade boost? If it took 2-3 seconds to explode, it would totalty ruin Soldat for me and for many other people. I mean come on, since when is Soldat realistic? Since when can a man withstand 50 minigun bullets to the body and not die? NEVER! If you want it close to real life, go play in realistic mode IMO.

Yuth
March 6, 2006, 9:34 pm
Notkeiran, that's what I find annoying, throwing nades directly at people to kill them.
And this collide delay would certainly prevent that from happening and give more skill to it.

You'd need to time or imagine what to do during your movement.
As for now you can just throw the nade direct and kill of it.

GluLm
March 7, 2006, 12:21 am
 Quote:when a player spawns he should have only 1 grenade no matter what!
They still could get more grenades by grabbing the grenade box bonus of course. ;)

Swarmer
March 7, 2006, 3:52 am
"Just" throw at them directly? It's not that easy to hit a moving target when you are moving too.
Also, if nades do NOT explode when you hit someone, then what in the world would anyone use them for? The only thing they would be used for is SPAMMING, since that would be the only way to kill someone.

LawSuit
March 8, 2006, 3:53 am
I'll contribute- Nades, in my opinion are USELESS unless on direct impact.
See, if someone was NEXT to a nade, he'd be blown into a wall. (I play in Realistic all the time). This always shows up with the player "killing himself". The only time this doesn't happen is if you got a direct hit, or the player was already hurt. It's a decent idea, but I'd avoid it.

CrazyEye
March 12, 2006, 11:48 pm
If this were implemented, I would definatly want to be able to "cook" the grenade....