( search forums )
Throwing
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Antifate
March 2, 2006, 9:34 pm
I have an idea. A weird one, but whatever.

What if, when you threw a weapon, regardless of what it is, it does damage to the person it falls on?

The person, if unarmed, would take damage, THEN catch the weapon for his/her use. Although this may take away those uselessly awesome weapon catching videos, it seems like a fun idea for me.

The damage would be based on the weight of the gun, the most damaging, being the knife, minigun, law, barret, and possibly chainsaw. A socom would do pathetic damage.

It'd be a "last resort" type of thing. Now, you may be thinking, "Oh, if I was in that situation, I'd run away." But what if you're fighting the EFC? Or maybe, "Oh I could just punch the guy, no biggie." Well it's VERY, hard to punch someone. A 1/10 chance. 1/10000000000 if the person has jets, his legs moving, or a gun.

I think this could help bring back some "popularity" to the guns shunned aside by the Soldat community. The users of those guns with those ridiculous reload times would have a way to defend themselves. The minigunners would come back. When they run out of ammo, just chuck the gun at them! The barreteers, angry at the delay time, would come back. The LAWers, angry at the delay time, would come back. And the chainsawers might come back as well. I think more gun diversity is a great thing. You don't want to be stuck in a server with 50 M79ers and Socom users right?

Tell me what you think. Personally I think this is a pretty good thing. It should be implemented.

Deleted User
March 6, 2006, 5:57 pm
I am aware that we've seen this suggestion many times before, but I felt too bad deleting a topic which is pretty well written (compared to some of the rubbish I see on here). I don't think anyone has to post with "suggested before, use search function plz" or anything else on the same lines, so just try discussing it. Again.

Dark_Noddy
March 6, 2006, 6:54 pm
I think it would be a rather nice feature, I mean, emptying your gun and they bleed uncontrollable so U thorw your gun at them to finnish it off ;D sweet ! it wouldnt make all that much of a difference to the gameplay its not like "throwable barret" would be overpowering anything (asloong as dammage is kept low)

2x thumb up

Swarmer
March 6, 2006, 8:52 pm
They should make the throw button like the nade (and knife) button, with a charge up time. Then you can have variable throw distances. Just tap it like you normally do to just drop it, or hold it down and release for a desperate chuck at the enemy. The throwing distance would vary with the weight of the weapon. So can you throw Socoms really far, but a minigun would just go a little bit. But of course, the damage would be equal to the speed of a the gun and it's weight, so if you dropped a minigun from the top of a tall map, if it landed on someone 5 screens below, it would kill them. I love this idea. Of course, in normal situations (normal heights), the guns would not do much damage, which is good.

Deleted User
March 6, 2006, 8:55 pm
If it means thrown chainsaws will go through people and potentially hit others, then I'm all for it.

Yuth
March 6, 2006, 9:15 pm
Yeah, as well as you put delay on the nade, and so it wouldn't explode on contact.
So this button would pick up the nade and throw it.

I like this idea about weapons giving damage and having it's own weight.
*Thumb Up*

zyxstand
March 6, 2006, 11:24 pm
well it was never mentioned in the original thread that the throwing action will be different from the current one (whether it's dropping or throwing (it's arguable)) so let me make this statement:
if, according to the original thread, there's a 1/10 chance of punching someone and a 1/0000000000 chance of punching someone while jetting, wtf are the chances or hitting an efc that's already far ahead of you (otherwise you could go for his flag or w.e) with a gun by 'tossing' it (i don't think you'll get much distance with it neways)... also, this would be a pretty crappy last resort. if you think you can hit someone by tossing a knife then makeing yourself explode (suicide bombing) would create a more likely scenario leading to the other's death (even though you're kill there's still a higher chance for the flag to be returned IF you kill him (and even if you don't))...
that along with 'it will be a waste for michal' draws me to one conclusion:
*thumb down*

a-4-year-old
March 6, 2006, 11:47 pm
it is so stupid i cant even reply without saying it is stupid.

throwing a gun would be as stupid as throwing pillows that are on fire at the person, sure they would hurt, but it is so unnessesary and rediculus

LawSuit
March 7, 2006, 3:49 am
My opinion can't matter much, but I would only use this sort of strategy as a joke, like team-fragging your best friend with the USSOCOM. If gravity existed, then throwing the minigun wouldn't be too helpful, would it? Usually when I toss my knife, it's right before I die, so it wouldn't be something I'd remember to do at the last second. Also, wouldn't it put out the point of having a knife if you're just going to toss your Minigun instead?
It would be a GREAT idea for comical relief, but would probably be too useless for MM to really care.

Swarmer
March 7, 2006, 3:57 am
Throwing gun's (pistols, mainly) isn't a rediculous tactic. People sometimes do it in wars as a last resort. Remember in Saving Private Ryan, when they threw thier helments at each other?

@lawsuit: throwing a gun isn't going to replace knife, because a thrown gun will have a severely limited range, and won't even do that much damage, unless its dropped from a really high distance.

I think it would be fun. Then weapons would have a mass property in the weapons.ini folder. I would love a weapon mod with weapons weighing -100000 pounds and when thrown, is equivilent to a barret shot. That would be cool.

Antifate
March 8, 2006, 12:35 am
4-year-old, your analogy makes no sense... Well, I just don't get it...

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 12:42 am
Just ignore him. He makes stupid and pointless comments in each topic to raise his post count.

Anyhow, would be nice if you could take off the weapon and fling it a person.
Possibly limited range. (the less your health.)
More range. (The more health? More strength?)

Obviously it will bruse the person, possible a little health though.
Though there will probably be like no time to fling something thats not as powerful a knife, because of some fast reloading weapons Lol..

Antifate
March 8, 2006, 1:29 am
 Quote:Originally posted by zyxstandwell it was never mentioned in the original thread that the throwing action will be different from the current one (whether it's dropping or throwing (it's arguable)) so let me make this statement:
if, according to the original thread, there's a 1/10 chance of punching someone and a 1/0000000000 chance of punching someone while jetting, wtf are the chances or hitting an efc that's already far ahead of you (otherwise you could go for his flag or w.e) with a gun by 'tossing' it (i don't think you'll get much distance with it neways)... also, this would be a pretty crappy last resort. if you think you can hit someone by tossing a knife then makeing yourself explode (suicide bombing) would create a more likely scenario leading to the other's death (even though you're kill there's still a higher chance for the flag to be returned IF you kill him (and even if you don't))...
that along with 'it will be a waste for michal' draws me to one conclusion:
*thumb down*

If you and the EFC are blasting away at eachother, when your minimi decides to run out of ammo, NO, it isn't the end of the world, even if you have a LAW as your secondary. You can get into "throwing" distance of a person quite easily. Also, when lots of EFCs are running frantically, they sorta hit "bumps" and slow down. Take the middle of CTF_Run for example, there are a lot of hills and little dips that can slow the EFC down and make it possible for you to nail him.

rabidhamster
March 8, 2006, 1:43 am
the knife would become utterly useless. this would make the saw the ultimate weapon.

zyxstand
March 8, 2006, 1:51 am
antifate, if the efc is in throwing distance, then there's a better chance of you getting his flag and running away with it then hitting him...

Antifate
March 8, 2006, 2:09 am
Depends on your aim wouldn't it?

Rabid, the Knife can be thrown farther... If this gets implemented, I don't know if the Saw could be actually running when thrown... Even if it does... Knife gets thrown farther, for equal damage...

Koon
March 8, 2006, 2:50 am
honostly, would it kill you if you got hit in the chest with a flying AK? If this was ever implimented it should do very little damage so it could only be used as an act of anger to maybe damage someone who just killed you. Although I admit that it would be kind of funny to drop a minigun from a couple screen lengths up and kill a camper. :)