( search forums )
Help me choose my new comp
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Ok
March 3, 2006, 6:35 am
so I'm buying a new computer, as usual I'm going to choose each and every one the parts in it.
Problem is, unlike in the past I have no idea what's going on today.

So this is what I got so far:
Proccesor: P4 3.2 Ghz S-775 2M Cache 64 bit Intel (duh..)

Mboard: P5PL2 (945PL) S775, SATA2, DDR2, GBL Asus

HD: 250GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB (Western Digital

Silver Line / GP Wireless + Wireless Mouse

So far I'm pretty much ok with my choises, they are optimized with the price and preformance, I'm looking for the best, I'm looking for something that is in the middle, good and reasonable cheap.

MY main problem now is the graphic card.

Here are some choises and I will give you the price as well
Asus:
#8207;Radeon AX550GE 256MB TV, DVI, PCI-E#8206; - 490NIS
#8207;Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB, DVI, PCI-E#8206; - 710NIS
#8207;Radeon X700 Silencer, 256MB, DVI, PCI-E#8206; - 690NIS

Albatron:
#8207;7300GS 256MB DVI, PCI-E#8206; - 520NIS

Ati:
#8207;Radeon 9600XT TV, DVI 256MB (BULK) - 650

There are alot of other manufactures in that list whom I've never heard of, so I didn't even consider them, if you know abotu a good graphic card that is reasonable cheap and quite good, do tell :)

ty :D

AerialAssault
March 3, 2006, 6:36 am
what exactly are you building this for? if its for gaming i would reccommend an AMD processor.

bja888
March 3, 2006, 7:36 am
AMD FX, built for gameing!
DFI motherboards, built for quality!

Sorry... very brand loyal

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 3, 2006, 7:38 am
If you're gonna be using the computer as a gaming rig, Wireless mouses are no go.

What's the NIS to USD conversion?

Ok
March 3, 2006, 7:59 am
ERm, AMD? why is AMD so good for games?
I truely know nothing about AMD proccesors...
And it really doesnt matter what NIS is in USD :) since the prices are not proportional.
But incase u wanna know, its 1$= 4.56NIS (not accurate but close enough)

Any reccomandations about an AMD proccesor?
#8207;Athlon?64 3700+ (S-939) SAN DIEGO#8206; - 1550NIS
#8207;Athlon?64 3500+ (S-939) VENICE CORE#8206; - 1360NIS

DIF mboards? erm..
Anyhow, any word about the graphic card? because that's my biggest dilema.

BTW, I'm building a comp for games, but no mainly, its not like I'm willing to spent a huge load on some amazing graphic card or proccesor just so games will run 0.00001 mili second faster.
I dunno :) realy, I just need some info. help?

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 3, 2006, 10:05 am
Well, if you're thinking of running many of today's new games, I would recommand the following setup:

Nvidia GeForce6800 GS (~900NIS)
Athlon 64 3200+ (~900NIS)
160GB 7200RPM HDD (~450NIS)
Motherboard w/ Sound, Ethernet...etc (~400NIS)
RAM 1 GB (~315NIS)
Case (S-Viking) (~315NIS)

Totals up to around 3280NIS, which is about 728 USD. With that Setup you can play all new games on the market on max of the max with a bit of chug (RARELY happens, I'm playing stuff like Quake 4 and Call o Duty 2 with no frame rate drop at all). But if you have a higher budget, I would definitly start with going up to 2GB of ram, and then upgrading from there. Make sure you get a motherboard that is SLI ready if you're going to eventually build an uber comp, or crossfire ready if you're going for Radeon Video cards.

mar77a
March 3, 2006, 2:02 pm
The only thing is suggest is, dont get wireless keyboard or mouse, it's useless and you spend a lot of money in batteries (which last 1 week only).

Ok
March 3, 2006, 2:03 pm
oh ty :) but the NIS part is quite irrelevant since computer parts and electronic parts are much more expansive than in the US.
Example:
#8207;Athlon?64 3200+ (S-939) VENICE CORE#8206; - 1070NIS , with a discount , cause they're having a sale on that one its 1025. and that's one of the cheapest stores in Israel
http://www.ksp.co.il/
They have an English version of the website btw :) incase you wanna be very nice and check it out :D
You can quite easly essamble a computer and get a price using their flash thingy.

OH and I forgot about the memory, gonna buy 1 GIGAbyte ofcourse.

Couldn't find that Nvidia GeForce6800 GS graphic card btw..

Note:
My current computer is going to the living room (1.6ghz proc, 512 RAM , Gforce2 64mb) so I can watch movies (legal ones ofcourse :P) in Divx and also listen to some music on the sound system I'm buying for it, so I want wireless crap so I can control my comp like remote control instead of having to get up to start/stop the movie or skeep parts or rewind etc..

I already have a mouse and keyboard that I use for this comp and will connect to the next.

Chakra`
March 3, 2006, 3:39 pm
Yeah, the Geforce 6800 GS is very good value for money. I should know, I got one. :) ..it's fairly new on the market, fairly top spec, yet won't cost an arm and a leg. The AMD 64 series is very good, and I'd sincerely suggest you get any from 3000+ above.

You don't need to go to extremes, as the higher-costing hardware out there will give relatively little performance boost for an exceptionally higher cost. Theres graphics cards out there being sold for as much as I spent on my PC in total, yet i'd only get maybe 10-15 fps faster with all the same max details, when the game's running smooth enough as it is. Not good value for money.

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 3:49 pm
I have a Ati Radeon X800XT graphical card , it's a bit slower or the same as the Gef6800.
The video card (in my case) really ain't the bottleneck hehe , it's the processor.
a 3200 will not be able to follow up with the games your graphical card can , so if you buy a AMD 3200 please don't buy that GFX card because it'll never work at it's full speed simply because the processor is too slow.
I suggest you buy an ADM64 3500 or higher for such a GFX card.
Also , here in Belgium ATI is way better than GeForce is (ATI has the fastest card here and it's also the cheapest brand for it's performance) , dunno about Israel though.

A little tweak you can do with the memory: Buy 2x512MB instead of one 1024Mb , but make sure your motherboard is capable of handling two 512Mb RAM sticks.

Also , the motherboard is very imprtant , don't go buy the cheapest out there , make sure they can handle the speed and transfer your memory , processor and graphical card produce.

Grtz , DePhille

Chakra`
March 3, 2006, 3:59 pm
Ahh yes, good point. Buy two sticks of 512mb of ram. Theres a reason why, but I have far too large a flu-induced headache to explain. It'll benefit anyhow.

I got the GF 6800 GS and a AMD 64 3200+ ...can't say it does too bad, and it has some overclocking potential. I was sticking to a budget and for what I got, seems to do alright. Oblivion will be my illustration of how good a system I got going......16 days.... 16 days....

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 5:38 pm
Yea chakra but when you upgrade your CPU only you'll already notcie a big diffrence , the GFX card can finally work at 100% then.

Grtz , DePhille

bja888
March 3, 2006, 6:52 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by mar77aThe only thing is suggest is, dont get wireless keyboard or mouse, it's useless and you spend a lot of money in batteries (which last 1 week only).

Power to the anti-wireless revolution!!

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 7:58 pm
Heh , I've bought a wireless keyboard and in the first few weeks my batteries had to be changed every week indeed. BUt now I'm using these batteries for over a month , and they're rechargeable so they last less longer than average batteries :/
I've bought my wireless keyboard because I can watch movies from my bed now.
I suggest not buying one because mine sometimes misses keys if I tap them.

A wireless mouse is suicide though , a mouse has to send a signal every x miliseconds to send the current position , a keyboard doesn't so a mouse really bugs and uses up batteries alot.
Besides , I like tall and light mice. Wireless mice weigh alot.

Grtz , DePhille

-VzX- Silverflame
March 3, 2006, 8:05 pm
they dont weigh alot....maybe like the same as a wired mouse..its not heavy at all.

a-4-year-old
March 3, 2006, 10:25 pm
all this talk about mice is making me hungry :)

1 gig of ram? ram is liek teh liek totally liek cheapest way to upgrade. get as much as you can possibly jam into your motherboard.

PLEASE BE SMART! GET A BIG CASE

with more than one fan and a big power supply. the worst thing you can do is be like my idiot friend and get a SL Edition because it sounded cool, little did he know SL stood for slim line, he got a tiny case that has NO ROOM for improvement.

have a corded backup if you are using games. so many games have bugs with lag/problems detecting. the more things you have wireless, the more things that can go wrong. (plus no paying for batteries)

MOUSE EXTENTION CORD FTW!!!

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 11:45 pm
I'm also using an extension cord for my mouse hehe :)

Anyway, while you're buying a completely new PC it's best to put the rest of your money in a processor. memory can always be upgraded afterwards without having to worry too much about motherboard sockets and bandwidths.

Grtz , DePhille

Ok
March 4, 2006, 5:55 am
Yes exactly! I always upgrade my memory, sometimes my graphic card, because in the cost of a new grahic card now I can buy a lesser one now, and another one later on.

I still have some unanswered questions.
Why is AMD better than Intel?
Did anyone check that website? I can't find Geforce there :(

http://www.passmark.com/cpureview/index.htm

a-4-year-old
March 4, 2006, 2:07 pm
unanswered questions:
they have a different settup on the actual thing, making it process games better than the intel and less good against it for processing.

google...

DePhille
March 4, 2006, 3:25 pm
Ye I posted an answer in the topic named "Athlon" :)