( search forums )
Make me a PC
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Deleted User
March 3, 2006, 1:28 pm
Well im still figuring out if i should buy a laptop or a desktop. So in the mean time lets see what sort of specs i can get with my budget.

You have $2000 Australian to buy the parts/pc with, so what do you buy. Try and include the price of the parts.

(if possible with links to company sites and the such for further research into the subject)

I want the best possible computers with the budget now hustle you Twats

Captain Ben
March 3, 2006, 2:15 pm
I got a custom made computer recently (the [CENSORED]er won't work- screen issues), but if you wish, I can try and get a list of the parts... It can run COD2 and Quake 4 on reasonably decent settings, although I'm not sure of the cost because it was a gift.

Or else you could always wait until March 23 to make your decision ;D

-VzX- Silverflame
March 3, 2006, 2:40 pm
GO WITH A LAPTOP!!!!!!!!! www.gateway.com has computers for all different kind of budgets :P

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 3:41 pm
I do not have a site from australia from which I can choose parts.

But what you do certainly need with that amount of money:
an ATI card with 256Mb Mem , AMD64 processor and atleast 1GB RAM.
With those specs you're safe for every current game.

Hook me up with some australian PC shops and I'll pick out some good parts for ya.

Grtz , DePhille

FliesLikeABrick
March 3, 2006, 3:44 pm
you do not want a laptop if you plan to play games, go with a desktop. with a dekstop, you can also get more for your money and you're also able to upgrade much more in the future

Chakra`
March 3, 2006, 3:44 pm
Can't say I know how far an australian dollar goes, but you seem to have a bit of cash. First work out, do you want to have the minor and difficult-for-some pains of putting your own pc together (which'll save you about £100 minimum), or getting one pre-built and ready to go? ..if you got money to waste, convenience is nice.

Dephille is right otherwise in his general modern needs list. Wouldn't necessarily an ATI card, as my Geforce 6800 GS ran the game F.E.A.R on max detail like a fookin' dream guv, and the card cost me pennies.

-VzX- Silverflame
March 3, 2006, 3:46 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickyou do not want a laptop if you plan to play games, go with a desktop. with a dekstop, you can also get more for your money and you're also able to upgrade much more in the future

not exactly true flies, i have a laptop and i play big name games :P like soldat!!! and others >_>

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 5:45 pm
I bet you cannot run BF2 at ultra high graphics with still atleast having 60fps ;)

Chak: The card runs indeed like a dream but the ATI does that more , I had a geforce too but an ati that costed half of my GeForce easily outran my card. In fact , that guy with the ati card can still play most games , his card is two years old and is ATI ofcourse with only 128Mb Video memory. Anyway , it mostly depends on what your motherboard is like and what sort of GPU you have. AMD matches the best with ATI imo.

Grtz , DePhille

bja888
March 3, 2006, 6:51 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by -VzX- SilverflameGO WITH A LAPTOP!!!!!!!!! www.gateway.com has computers for all different kind of budgets :P

Laptop... I guess that classifies you as an enemy now silverflame.

1) How much is that in USD?
2) Do you need monitor, kayborad and mouse?
3) Can you put togeather and configure your own computer?

FliesLikeABrick
March 3, 2006, 7:19 pm
I'm not saying you can't play games on a laptop, but anything that is considered a "gaming laptop" is huge, weighs about 15lbs and you'd just be better off with a desktop in the end. Almost every game runs fine on my laptop, but I'm not a gamer. If I was, I'd definately have a desktop for gaming

-VzX- Silverflame
March 3, 2006, 7:45 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888 Quote:Originally posted by -VzX- SilverflameGO WITH A LAPTOP!!!!!!!!! www.gateway.com has computers for all different kind of budgets :P

Laptop... I guess that classifies you as an enemy now silverflame.

1) How much is that in USD?
2) Do you need monitor, kayborad and mouse?
3) Can you put togeather and configure your own computer?

1)$1900
2)not an external one.. its a laptop. everything u need is good right out of the box!
3)yes...i own 3 computers 2 laps and a desk...

Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickI'm not saying you can't play games on a laptop, but anything that is considered a "gaming laptop" is huge, weighs about 15lbs and you'd just be better off with a desktop in the end. Almost every game runs fine on my laptop, but I'm not a gamer. If I was, I'd definately have a desktop for gaming

No way flies, mine is about 7 - 8 pounds. Plus you better off with a laptop: not much maintaince to do and its portable. Laptops in my opinion are better than laptops now!!! back then desktops ran better and faster than laptops did. Now days more people end up buying laptops!! and yes flies i am a so - so gamer meaning i dont game alot now other than with soldat, but in the future (2-3yrs) im gonna be making computer and console games!!!

a-4-year-old
March 3, 2006, 10:30 pm
i could give you american sites that will take hours to load...

-VzX- Silverflame
March 3, 2006, 10:50 pm
mines an american site though :P

Captain Ben
March 4, 2006, 2:04 am
Take an Australian dollar. Halve it and you've (roughly) got its value in USD.

frogboy
March 4, 2006, 3:04 am
According to Google:
2 000 Australian dollars = 1 492.8 U.S. dollars

Deleted User
March 4, 2006, 4:02 am
Thanks frogboy.
Here are a list of australian sites.
http://www.techbuy.com.au/
http://www.computermarket.com.au/
http://www.gamedude.com.au/ (reccomended)
others can be found on google.

http://www.gamedude.com.au/ (currency converter)

EDIT: frogboy You hot piece of meat you :P glad to see ya

bja888
March 4, 2006, 4:15 am
Fine, if it has really come down to this....

I'll compair the desktop I am building to a 1,500$ alienware laptop.

My computer...
AMD 2.2 Ghz 64 X2 bit processor
1 GB ram Dual-channel(plan to upgrade to 2 in less than a year)
(6)120 GB SATA 1.5 G/s hard drives 72000 RPM
(4) in a Raid 0/1
(2) in a Raid 0
Clear case with everything fro UV lights to fan filters.
Price.. about 1,500 USD

Area-51® m5700
Intel® Pentium® M 760 2.0GHz
Alienware® m5700 17" WideXGA 1280 x 800
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz
(1) 40GB 5400 RPM SATA
Price... 1,564 USD
[URL]

Just for fun... lets see what we how much it will cost to get the same desktop I have....

Aurora? m7700
AMD Athlon? 64 X2 4400+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
1GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 512MB
120GB (60GB x 2) 5400 RPM SATA
Price.... 2,803 USD

What my computer has that the laptop doesn't....
- Mine has 4 more hard drives that spin at a faster speed.
- Mine looks better :)

What the laptop has that my computer does not...
- Screen (I have (2) 17 inch flat panels that I don't need to buy again)
- A $15 keyboard (Mine was $40 when I bought it)
- Support (I can fix my own problems)
- An OS (I already have windows XP pro 64x edition)

Any questions?

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 9:14 am
go to a NZ site u will get $4000 worth :D

bja888
March 8, 2006, 9:50 am
With shipping worth more than the part :D

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 12:06 pm
why do you need 60 fps to play a game properly, hell 20 is good enough for me :)