( search forums )
SoldatPage remake?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
DePhille
March 3, 2006, 4:06 pm
Hi,

I think I'm going to re-make the whole SoldatPage website (again).
I really do like the current look but I don't have width to add some new functions.
The menu's will also be filled up bigtime so I'm thinking of writing some expandable menu's for it.

Why I'm creating this topic?
I want a simple and efficient yet good-looking look , and I'm no graphical expert. I'm also not going to add "Graphics by xxx" at the bottom of the site so I can only give few credit to people who want to design a look for SoldatPage , so I'm mainly asking for tips.

The second thing is a namechange I'm thinking of.
SoldatPage sounds a tad too childish in my opinion , I want something more unique yet general because SoldatPage will be hosting alot more new functions for the community.

Since I hope this'll be one of the last SoldatPage re-makes I'd like to ask you what you'd like a Soldat Communitypage to look like and act like. That's also why I posted this in the lounge and not in web pages.

Grtz , DePhille

Ok
March 3, 2006, 4:06 pm
No you're not, you're too busy now!!
REMemBER?!?!!?

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 5:37 pm
That's why I'm posting this now , so people actually have time to reply :)
First things first huh Ok , so don't worry ;)

Grtz , DePhille

mar77a
March 3, 2006, 6:52 pm
Mmm, maybe you can keep it simple, like my site.

DePhille
March 3, 2006, 7:55 pm
Yea I'm really doing it to make Soldat more simple , especially in the coding parts.
Currently SoldatPage had around 200Kb of code attached to it.
I'm sure I can bring that down alot and make the script atleast 50% faster , more efficient and less buggy than it is now.
The other problem is that the left-hand menu is quite a terror to a virgin visitor I think.
I'm going to divide it in some simple categories like "SoldatPage" , "Maps" , "Mods" , "Clans" , "Webring". I don't think apps are needed too much , so I'm letting them out. Also , those menus would all be expandable and only the active menu is expanded so you have a simple and clean interface.

I don't know what to do with the Poll and Shout box for example , Maybe I can make two buttons at the top-right side that expand when they're clicked? And that are higlighted when there's a new poll or message for example?

For me it's all no problem , I know every byte SoldatPage is made of. But a new visitor doesn't , so that's why I am asking what could be improved instead of doing it all myself again.

Grtz , DePhille