( search forums )
Athlon
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Koon
March 4, 2006, 3:02 am
Hey, I've heard a lot about AMD Athlon processors and that they're supposed to be really good for gaming, I'm getting a new laptop soon and I'd like to hear from someone who has used one how good they are.

rabidhamster
March 4, 2006, 4:21 am
athlons are funneh.

Koon
March 4, 2006, 5:11 am
well, that was productive. ;)

Ok
March 4, 2006, 5:57 am
Yea I would like to know too, what's so great about them that they are good espacialy for gaming.
I mean, how can a proccesor be good for gaming alone?
Its just a matter of speed isn't it?
Is it just faster than others?
AMD in general, what's the difference betwin that and Intell?

Rune
March 4, 2006, 6:16 am
An AMD processor has a higher performance/clockspeed ratio than an Intel + they are cheaper + Intel are some of the main people behind Trusted Computing. Ask Chibi if you want more info ;0

Ok
March 4, 2006, 6:20 am
Well that's not always true.
http://www.passmark.com/cpureview/index.htm

DePhille
March 4, 2006, 9:43 am
Heh there's alot to it , believe me.

A processor uses several pipelines , intel's pipelines are longer than AMD's.
I think AMD also uses a pipeline more than Intel does though I'm not sure about that.
There are some other diffrences between two CPUs but I won't go into that (have to look em up too).

It comes to this: Intel needs a higher clockspeed to beat AMD , which leads to a more expensive processor. AMD uses more power and becomes hotter than the Intel (Mine is always around 40° , an intel 30 or 35). AMD is much faster in gaming than the Intel , vice-versa: Intel is much faster than AMD in raw calculation.

So if you've got two the same systems , one with an Intel and one with an AMD, the AMD system will be cheaper. The AMD System will run BF2 at for example 60fps constantly while the Intel has also 60fps but easily drops down to 10fps when smoke grenades are thrown or you're driving in a vehicle. The AMD will consume more power and become hotter than the Intel.
When we start extracting a zip file for example the Intel wins over the AMD.
Opening an application is almost the same with two CPUs

Grtz , DePhille

Ok
March 4, 2006, 9:58 am
When you say AMD becomes hotter, is that critical?
or just another factor to keep in mind?
'Cause I prefer building my computer towards gaming, since I aint working with my comp.
Though I do like doing stuff with voice and graphical programs.
I don't mind waiting 1 more minute for my RAR to open, or my image to get blurred, but I do mind seeing my game go slower , seeing less imagese on the screen and so on.

DePhille
March 4, 2006, 10:31 am
Alot of people say that processors can get a maximum of 90° before they die.
I've only known two people with AMD processors that got a higher temperature than 60° , my friend got 112° (About a year ago , he's still using that process or , AMD3000). And my brother AMD Duron 2600 , he got 98°. In both cases I ordered them to pull out the plug asap andget the dust out of their cases , after that their processors didn't reach 50 anymore (Friend is an intense gamer).

SO basicly yes , the temperature can get critical. But that's only after some years or sometimes months in a dusty area if your heatsink is completely filled with dust. Clean it and it's fixed.
Also , more heat requires a better fan , that's why a standard AMD fan makes more noise than a standard Intel fan. Buy a case with rubber connection like I did and you can let the PC run while you're asleep 1 metre from it.

If your just thinking about building a gaming computer I'd already buy an AMD so in your case it's definitely going to be and AMD.
Hook me up with some shop sites near your area and your budget and I'll put something togheter.

Grtz , DePhille

frogboy
March 4, 2006, 1:13 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by DePhilleIt comes to this: Intel needs a higher clockspeed to beat AMD , which leads to a more expensive processor. AMD uses more power and becomes hotter than the Intel (Mine is always around 40° , an intel 30 or 35)
I always thought Intels used more power and were hotter, with the exception of some of their new laptop CPUs. Looking over some benchmarks quickly, looks like they're catching up with performance per clock cycle too.

a-4-year-old
March 4, 2006, 2:00 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by DePhilleAlot of people say that processors can get a maximum of 90° before they die.
I've only known two people with AMD processors that got a higher temperature than 60° , my friend got 112° (About a year ago , he's still using that process or , AMD3000). And my brother AMD Duron 2600 , he got 98°. In both cases I ordered them to pull out the plug asap andget the dust out of their cases , after that their processors didn't reach 50 anymore (Friend is an intense gamer).

SO basicly yes , the temperature can get critical. But that's only after some years or sometimes months in a dusty area if your heatsink is completely filled with dust. Clean it and it's fixed.
Also , more heat requires a better fan , that's why a standard AMD fan makes more noise than a standard Intel fan. Buy a case with rubber connection like I did and you can let the PC run while you're asleep 1 metre from it.

If your just thinking about building a gaming computer I'd already buy an AMD so in your case it's definitely going to be and AMD.
Hook me up with some shop sites near your area and your budget and I'll put something togheter.

Grtz , DePhille

C or F, my cpu runs at about 24C all day, if you think you will have a problem with heat, buy a better case that comes with more fans (or watercooled)

lol, 1/2 of my fans dont even run because it is so cool in my pc (purrs like a kitten)

Deleted User
March 4, 2006, 3:07 pm
who made this comparison:

amd is like a bus and pentium is like a sports car.....

DePhille
March 4, 2006, 3:28 pm
Good comparison, the AMD has a lower clockspeed (speed of the bus) than the Intel (speed of a sportscar). But AMD does more per clockcycle (Bus carries more ppl than a sportscar).
This also shows that Intel looks good on the outside (Who wants a bus instead of a sportscar) but if you think about it the AMD is more efficient.

My PC is near my central heating heh , I know that's dumb but as long as everything stays below 50° I'm happy. Also , the noise is less in that location ;)

Grtz , DePhille

AerialAssault
March 4, 2006, 9:28 pm
its acually that Inels are notoriously very hot and use alot more power. AMD 64s have a reputation for staying very cool on stock cooling. amd for gaming, intel for work.

a-4-year-old
March 4, 2006, 11:34 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by DePhilleGood comparison, the AMD has a lower clockspeed (speed of the bus) than the Intel (speed of a sportscar). But AMD does more per clockcycle (Bus carries more ppl than a sportscar).
This also shows that Intel looks good on the outside (Who wants a bus instead of a sportscar) but if you think about it the AMD is more efficient.

My PC is near my central heating heh , I know that's dumb but as long as everything stays below 50° I'm happy. Also , the noise is less in that location ;)

Grtz , DePhille

just so all the americans understand him 50 degrees is very hot 122 degrees farenhight

Deleted User
March 5, 2006, 12:10 am
my processor barely ever goes over 20 degrees, do you guys leave your computers on all the time? i always shut mine off......

frogboy
March 5, 2006, 12:23 am
My Intel runs at around 60°C. Back on the stock Intel cooler it ran up to about 80°C. Prescott processors are [CENSORED].

Deleted User
March 5, 2006, 4:16 am
wtf is prescott? wait ill www.wikipedia.org it

m00`
March 5, 2006, 5:48 am
I used to have an AMD it was terrible, it was like a heater in my room and it sounded like a vaccuum cleaner, it was terrible itell you, TERRIBLE.... OH GOD THE HORRORRRR

Deleted User
March 5, 2006, 8:19 am
AMDs own yo [CENSORED]!

Ok
March 5, 2006, 8:26 am
So to sum it up...
Buy AMD for games, buy a good cooler, and if you also mind the noise buy a silent .. erm computer box (forgot its name)

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 12:51 pm
you mean a silent ATX case?