( search forums )
Onslaught Mode (UT2004 style)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
Swarmer
March 6, 2006, 1:19 am
Has anyone played Unreal Tournament 2004? Well, Onslaught mode is simply the best thing since, uh, sliced bread. And we all know that sliced bread is the apex of human civilazation. For those who dont know, here is a general overview:

-It takes place on huge maps, and has a lot of cool vehicles (mmm.. vehicles).
-Each team (2 total) has a base, with a power core. This power core has 100 health. The goal is to destroy the opposing team's power core. The power core cannot be attacked unless it is linked to your team's power core via power nodes.
-Around the map there are power nodes. Your HUD map shows how they are linked together. You must capture power nodes so that they form a link to the opponents power core.
-To capture one, you must touch it, and then it starts to get built. To increase building speed, you have a special weapon that helps you build faster. Once a power node is built, players can respawn from there, and your vehicles respawn there.
-You can only attack an opponent's power node if it is connected to your power node. Basically, the only nodes that are in danger are the ones that are on opposing sides and connected to each other. A power node has a specific amount of health, but can be repaired with the weapon that does it. To destroy it, you just shoot it until it dies.
-Players cannot respawn from nodes that are under attack.

I guess it's pretty hard to visualize; you'd have to play the game to understand fully. Obviously, we wouldn't have vehicles in a soldat version, and the map would have to be very vertical oriented, in order to seperate the nodes at strategic locations.

I'm not sure how well it would translate into soldat, but all I know is that it is the most fun gamemode i have ever played in any game.

Deleted User
March 6, 2006, 1:27 am
Choosing Spawnpoints, something that Soldat may or may not ever do.

a-4-year-old
March 6, 2006, 1:34 am
not for soldat.

Nuts
March 6, 2006, 9:21 am
Actually, i think this would work in soldat.

Ive played the game once or twice and i see how it works.

*thumbs up*

Deleted User
March 6, 2006, 9:30 am
I agree with a-4-year-old.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 3:05 am
i have played UT 2k4 and love onslaught, i would love this to come to soldat, but i think that nodes should be sped up not by shooting at them (its not two link guns ;0) but by standing on them for a couple of seconds, maybe 3

LawSuit
March 10, 2006, 3:20 am
Never tried UT, but doesn't sound like Soldat. There's just too much programming in it for Michal to actually care, and it would require a WHOLE NEW set of maps (people are lazy, and we all know it), and NEW weapons. UT is fun because it's an FPS, but this is in 2 dimensions- If everyone crowds around the node, and one team is constantly spawning there, then the fun's sucked out. And you said vehicles. Everyone wants vehicles, but it just won't happen. Nuh-uh.
Like I said, it doesn't feel like Soldat.

Swarmer
March 10, 2006, 7:08 pm
But if they all crowd around a node, then the other nodes can get taken easily. Also, a node that is being shot at wont let people respawn there. I'm sure it could be done without vehicles too.

Outcast
March 10, 2006, 7:40 pm
This would rock for soldat, teritorial battles. And a map three times as long as run. With various strategic points that need to be defended, every kill matters because you have to travel a distance to get there.

Judge_Man
March 10, 2006, 9:42 pm
Yeah Ut2k4 Owns soooo much (UT 2k7 relativly soon!!!!!!!!!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAA)
But yeah it could fit in soldat and it would be awesome, unlike .. *cough*HTF*cough* hmm yeah.

Deleted User
March 10, 2006, 10:19 pm
no, vehicles, even if implemented, wouldn't be used much, cause you need a relativly flat map, and THAT wouldn't be fun

Deleted User
March 10, 2006, 10:22 pm
UT2K4 is the best game ever made(apart from soldat :P)

hmm well it would be cool...but it doesent really suit soldat......thats kidna like having unreal titans in CS it just doesent fit the theme....but then if u wanna make soldat more crazy de it is go ahead....it wil lbecome my fav round...and i wil lget addicted lol.

Judge_Man
March 10, 2006, 10:22 pm
 Quote:Obviously, we wouldn't have vehicles in a soldat version, and the map would have to be very vertical oriented, in order to seperate the nodes at strategic locations.

read?

Deleted User
March 10, 2006, 10:40 pm
ahh, forgot that, i read it then didn't bother to read it again

Antifate
March 10, 2006, 11:06 pm
I wouldn't like it, seems a bit too complicated... And, VEHICLES!?

Swarmer
March 11, 2006, 4:17 am
lol. THERE WOULDNT BE VEHICLES. Antifate, is your soldat name REALLY ~Saw + Nades~ ??? Thats like, exactly mine, except with + instead of " 'n " and with some ~'s. Plagiarism!!

I think there should be SOME new gamemode that actually doesnt suck. Something that will break the dominance of CTF. What makes CTF fun is that its 2 teams vs, so not-so-great players can fit in and find a role for thier team. There are many feel-good things, like killing an EFC or capping, that makes someone happy that thier team gets to appreciate it. With Onslaught mode, it is also 2 teams, and there are even more strategic feel-good things you can do, like killing a node, holding one, etc.

Eagles_Arrows
March 11, 2006, 1:47 pm
I don't think this is a good mode for Soldat.

Sure, Onslaught Mode pwns in UT2k4, but I cannot see what pwns about it if it's featured in a side-view, 2D game like Soldat.

Antifate
March 11, 2006, 4:44 pm
Plagiarism. Dang, got caught, lock me up chief. Sorry, but I couldn't fine a better name, because I'm stuck up. If someone kills me, I CAN'T stand them boasting "PAHAHAHA I R TEH KILLZOR U!" I want them to know that I'm not "trying" my best, by showing them that I'm only using "Saw + Nades"

Swarmer
March 12, 2006, 7:12 pm
Yeah, but anyone who sees you using a saw knows that you are using a saw. And I try my best with only saw and nades. Yeah, you're allowed to use it, but it's just that the name is 99% like mine. Mine is "Saw 'n Nades". Now we've got our reputations mixed up. D: