( search forums )
AMD vs Intel
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Ok
March 6, 2006, 10:15 am
So I researched it like a madman!
I didn't get all the technical details, but I think I've got a nice little way to explain it to ignorant [CENSORED]s such as myself.

A simple comparison to internet connections can explain this.

THIS IS JUST A [CENSORED]ING METAPHOR !! meant to explain the difference betwin Intel and AMD using other terms! Internet connections do not have anything to do with your CPU!

AMD = someone with 1.5mbit connection but a very HIGH ping.
Intel = someone with 256kbit connection but a very LOW ping.

Eventualy, what you'll get that the "AMD" guy will be able to download things faster, example, it will take him about 1hour to download a movie of 700mb while the intel guy will have to spend hours downloading the same movie.

HOWEVER, when it comes to online gaming, the Intel guy will not lag and will play smoothly with his low ping, while the AMD guy will lag like a madman.

This is why Intel is good in raw calculations (little bits of information being calculated faster) while the AMD is good with games when you need ALOT of information calculated faster.

Needless to say, that its not like both proccesors are black and white, its not like you'll be noticing the difference in a way that will actualy bother you, not now anyhow, later on when games demand more, prehapes you will notice it..

Besides, do you REALLY mind waiting 1 more minute for your RAR to open up?

I decided that other than the heating problem with the AMD its the best solution for home usage.. where time is less of a factor for you.

thekingkitty
March 6, 2006, 10:28 am
I just get the cheapest computer in the store and call it a day :9

bja888
March 6, 2006, 1:15 pm
Wow! Dude, processors have little if nothing to do with internet connection...

Other than that you almost right on the money. AMD processors (64x or 32x) can do more per cycle. While Intel can do more, smaller cycles. When it comes to heat, intel has no problems. If you arn't stupid you'll just clean your AMD fan once every 2 months.

Ok
March 6, 2006, 1:20 pm
It was a metaphor!!!!!!

Deleted User
March 6, 2006, 1:22 pm
yah dude i get 53 ping on call of duty 2, i get the lowest ping outta everyone mostly :) the only problem is that i get 8-20 fps most of the [CENSORED]ing time so its more like 300 ping :)

bja888
March 6, 2006, 1:29 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by OkIt was a metaphor!!!!!!
Lol, ok.

Quote:Originally posted by dascooonly problem is that i get 8-20 fps most of the ing time so its more like 300 ping :)
I hate to do this twice in one topic....
Fps usually has nothing to do with your processer speed ;)

Ok
March 6, 2006, 1:53 pm
Not so sure about that mate.
Actualy I'm VERY sure you're wrong.

Not because I'm such an expert, but because of this:
Whenever I start soldat while having other crap in the background (such as bitcomet) I have to go to Alt+Ctrl+Delete then go to proccess then set the CPU priority to soldat on Above average, otherwise my FPS start going nuts in the middle of the game from time to time.
Dropping -20 FPs or even more at times.

and if I have winamp playing music on top of that, that "trick" doesnt help.

So I would say FPS has alot to do with the CPU, espacialy when it comes to Soldat that doesnt requir alot of power from your graphic card.

DePhille
March 6, 2006, 4:55 pm
One of my friends has exactly the same ISP and conenction as I do , though I get way faster pings than he does. It's true that Intel calculates bits fatser than AMD (Has to do with AMD's on-die cache and Intel's clockspeed) but you really won't notice that in the pings as long as you're not looking at the values below one miliseconds.

Processor speed has alot to do with your FPS , a whole lot. It mostly depends on what other parts your PC consists of and what game but really , a CPU gets the GPU's load sometimes and then CPU speed matters like 80% of your total FPS speed. Hard to explain but you can look that up.

YOu have to watch out for Intel sponsored researches. Intel's more expensive than AMD and some of their processors are worse than a cheaper AMD. AMD knows of this and tries to do the same sometimes and is looking for evidence to sue Intel for such things (You can also look that up). Benchmarks are what I think a good way to compare computer parts , but you must make sure none of them are overclocked.

From what I know AMD wins over Intel in my case. If I'd have a PC that has to do calculations and interact with the other parts as fast as possible (Games do not to interact that fast but they really need a high bandwidth so I think that's mostly why AMD wins over Intel in games) I'd go for the Intel because of it's higher clockspeed. But since I'm doing huge calculations like compiling maps or converting to MP3 all the time I really prefer the AMD.

Anyway, I could go on like this for hours but my best config is: AMD processor , ATI Graphical card and Dual memory (2x512MB , 2x256MB).

Grtz , DePhille

FliesLikeABrick
March 6, 2006, 5:10 pm
Ok, absolutely nothing in your first post makes any sense... processor speed has nothing to do with download speed unless you're talking about 1mhz procssors versus 2mhz procssors

edt: I just had to edit to point out even more that none of what you said makes any sense and has any truth to it whatsoever. I'm curious to see these "resources" from which you obtained your "information" while "researching"

edit: sorry dephille, you're not doing much better either :-/

edit3: I would post and set everything straight but I'm in class and can't do that right now

Chakra`
March 6, 2006, 5:55 pm
Hello, i'm a layman.

*waves*

Long story short and all wrapped up into a nutshell, AMD processors are cheaper than Intel at equivelent processing power, and are hallmarked very well as the 'gamer's processor' for various technical reasons I know jack about.

And Bricks.....luv. Knowing your computers like the back of the hand can be a very enduringly painful skill. Seeing others around you talking about crap they probably don't know about, mixing up facts and fiction like a smoothie maker, ya just feel like stepping in and setting things straight from the very good inside you. Doesn't always work out though does it? And there'll always be others needing the same guidance from the few who truly know. The endless cycle continues... *spooky hand movements*

Let your children go luv. They must fly the nest and work things out themselves.

DePhille
March 6, 2006, 6:02 pm
The first alinea I wrote are practical things I found out. Another example: I've always one of the lowest pings in a game , even though more HL2 Gamers have an Intel CPU than there are with an AMD CPU. But that's something rough. Basicly it could be that there is a diffrence but in these days processor are so fast that a milisecond for a processor is like a century for us , so I'm not really sure about that.

My second alinea is correct though , Your GPU uses 1% at one time and can be using 200% for example , the other time (Well it won't be exactly that huge diffrence ofcourse :) ). When it uses 200% your CPU takes the extra load. If your CPU also has to do some longer time to parse those 100% remaining from the GPU the other graphical data will have to wait causing a lower FPS. That's a very simplified version of why a CPU does make diffrence in the FPS. Other reasons are collisions , player movements , background programs (Operating system mostly) , bullet calculations , RAM interaction , ...

The alinea about the "AMD vs Intel" commercial battle is partly 100% correct and partly practical too, I've read some AMD vs Intel researches where it said "Sponsored by Intel" on another page of the website. I also follow some computer news sites , and there have been articles about the fact that AMD is willing to sue intel for subjective commercials. Basicly it comes to the fact that you must not trust the internet 100%. Probably not even 60%.

The alinea about why Intel loses to AMD in my case can't be wrong or right since it's my personal vision of why I use my PC and why AMD is better than Intel in my case. Budget has alot to do with it ofcourse.

For the rest you can look up the stuff I'm saying. Most sites will prove I am correct some of them won't. (atleast for the fact I was 100% sure of)

Besides ,you don't have to be sorry Bricks, I like to hold discussions like this. Such discussions teach a whole lot more than my classes do these days :).

EDIT after chakra's response:
One cannot know 100% of something, even Bill Gates doesn't know all about Windows or Microsoft. That's why there should always be a way to discuss and talk about stuff. If Einstein decided to ignore someone's thoughts thinking he doesn't far much about it as I do he'd be too dumb to calculate an IQ on. I've been ignored and underestimated for stuff because I was too young or because I'm just someone who's doing it all for fun and not for money (job) , and there have been times I've been overestimated. Basicly the underestimate part will drop and the overestimate part will grow as I get older. Anyway , this is getting more a psycholigical talk hehe , I also like to hold such discussions but believe me , 99% of all readers will close this topic down once they start reading so I'll keep the topic alive and stop talking right here :D

Grtz , DePhille

FliesLikeABrick
March 6, 2006, 6:20 pm
-> From puffy [DCC(318(PEA))], to ranttalk:
- You should instruct them in the usage of ice picks to create so-called speed
- holes in the hood of a car that makes the car go faster by letting the air
- out of the hood.

a-4-year-old
March 6, 2006, 8:49 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by dascooyah dude i get 53 ping on call of duty 2, i get the lowest ping outta everyone mostly :) the only problem is that i get 8-20 fps most of the [CENSORED]ing time so its more like 300 ping :)

pwnt i get 48 (a pic to prove it)

just nade spam until the lag goes away :)

Deleted User
March 6, 2006, 9:05 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888 Quote:Originally posted by OkIt was a metaphor!!!!!!
Lol, ok.

Quote:Originally posted by dascooonly problem is that i get 8-20 fps most of the ing time so its more like 300 ping :)
I hate to do this twice in one topic....
Fps usually has nothing to do with your processer speed ;)

no [CENSORED], i know i have a [CENSORED]ty graphics card. did i say it has anything to do with my processor? No. i said the only problem was that i get 8-20 fps most of time so its more like 300 fps is because im telling you that it feels like 300 ping because it does, bad card, i never said it had anything to do with my processor........

EDIT: o yah 4 year old i just got 38 PING HAH!

bja888
March 6, 2006, 9:11 pm
I have 4 things to say and then I will not post on this topic again.

1) Ping has basiclly nothing to do with processer speed. You cannot tell someones computer speed for in any game. (unless they do not meet min requirements)

2)Woot! Files didn't say i was wrong :D

3) On my right is a 17 inch flat panel on a $200 AGP card. To my right is a 15 inch flat panel on a $15 PCI card. Both are hooked up to the same computer. I know the diffrence between CPU and GPU lag.

4)Love Jack :D

Ok
March 6, 2006, 11:47 pm
For the LAST TIME! it was a [CENSORED]ing METAPHOR!!!! I do not believe for one second there is a connection betwin your CPU and your PING!
It was just a metaphor like saying "AMD is like a bus and Intel is like a sports car"

Get over it jees, and I got my info from googling stuff on "AMD vs Intel"
Also this thread is another reach for information, I would also appreciate if you would explain why are these comparisons of "intel being quicker with small packages of info and vise versa for AMD" are so popular when they are not true.

So many articles and statistics, please enlighten me instead of bashing my METAPHOR because I just want to know what is true and what is the difference betwin the both.

a-4-year-old
March 7, 2006, 12:03 am
 Quote:Originally posted by dascoo[quote]
EDIT: o yah 4 year old i just got 38 PING HAH!

OMFG I JUST GOT 999 PING!

[CENSORED]ING ROUTER!

i pwnt myself :(

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 12:57 am
bja, your stupid

a-4-year-old
March 7, 2006, 1:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by dascoobja, your stupid

you are stupid

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 1:33 am
tank j00

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 4:33 am
How about the AMD DUal Core VS the Pentium D

LazehBoi
March 7, 2006, 5:55 am
AMD vs Intel discussions just aren't the same without Palloco... :(

Captain Ben
March 7, 2006, 6:02 am
FLAB, because you're the only one here who really knows what the [CENSORED] they're on about, could you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease just say which you prefer?

I have an AMD but I know jack crap about it :D

Vijchtidoodah
March 7, 2006, 6:13 am
 Quote:Originally posted by LazehBoiAMD vs Intel discussions just aren't the same without Palloco... :(

Neither is backseat moderating. I still carry the scars of the Intel vs. AMD crusade, though.

frogboy
March 7, 2006, 6:30 am
 Quote:Originally posted by jrgpHow about the AMD DUal Core VS the Pentium D
Intel Core Duo > Pentium D - Core Duo's and Athlon X2s are fairly evenly matched.

Ok
March 7, 2006, 9:03 am
What does "DUAL CORE" mean?

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 12:46 pm
dual core means when a processor has 2 cores instead of just one making it twice as fast.

DePhille
March 7, 2006, 4:06 pm
Not completely jrgp, you have to mention that it has two PHYSICAL CORES.
It means that there are two cores (material) stuffed into one processor.
THere's also a thing like virtual cores. The processor has one core , but the PC recognizes it as two cores and thus increases your speed.
The virtual cores can be very handy when some program is using up 100% of the CPU , you can still use other programs quite fast because those 100% are 100% of your first virtual core , so your second is still available. Those virtual cores are called Hyperthreading (Intel jusrt announced they are going to stop producing these).

Also , this is the LOUNGE and not the bashpit so please don't ruin someone's topic by spamming useless crap in it.

Captain Ben: Your AMD will work better than a comparable Intel (Comparable of performance and not price) on games and will work slower on core calculations. For example, open you windows calculator and keep on pressing the button that says X^2 (dunno how to pronounce in english , maybe "to the power of two"?). After some time the calculations will take a long time to do (like 1 minute) , an Intel can do this faster than your AMD. If you want to know the reason to that: Intel has a higher clockspeed.
I'll make it yet more simplified. Clockspeed is the amount of "parses" it does in one second. Intel has a higher clockpeed than AMD but Intel parses for example 4 unuts in every parse while an AMD can do 6 for example.

Conclusion: Since bare calculations only need 1 entry per clocktick the Intel will win over the AMD because he can do more parses per second ("Clockspeed"). But when your gaming , the game needs as many entries as possible so the AMD does 6 entries per clocktick while the Intel does only 4.

That's an explanation to just give you an idea of why the two processors differ. In real life these "entries" are factors such as the length of the "cables" inside your processor , the temperature of the core and all sorts of other factors.

Grtz , DePhille

XenocidE
March 7, 2006, 5:58 pm
I don't think everyone understand why AMD processors are labeled with a Lower Clock Speed. The reason is that the pipelines on the Processor are laid out differently and made more efficiently. So even if the clock speeds will read slower, this is because it will take less time for the processor to run the application. I actually did a long research about why AMD is better then Intel Processors. AMD processors do run much hotter and this shouldn't be an issue if you know how to properly cool with the correct heatsink.

I don't know a deep information about these things, but if I was going to talk with someone about any that is computer Hardware related. Tweaker would be the one to talk to. This man is a genius in my eyes and he's the one who got me to learn and know more knowledge on the hardware side of computers.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 9:08 am
ive got a amd i get 5-10 ping

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 9:10 am
and my computer runs like SPEOEOEOSPOEZPW fast so PWNT!