( search forums )
sell soldat?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
zyxstand
March 7, 2006, 9:56 pm
Would it not be better for Michal to sell soldat to a big company?
For all i know, a good 2D engine doesn't exist. They have insane HL2 type engines (though glitchy) but why is there no 2D one?
I'm sure if Michal were to sell it to some big company they could work on it a lot more and actually add things like triggers and campaign mode, etc.
As part of the soldat community, I think this is a valid subject for us (the people of the soldat community) to discuss.
It'll give MM more time for his other projects to work on, too.

numgun
March 7, 2006, 10:13 pm
interesting idea... this would start ppl make new 1337 2D games like soldat.

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 10:35 pm
Keep

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 11:21 pm
keep it, don't be a sellout(unless its alot of money)

Deleted User
March 7, 2006, 11:38 pm
I enjoy everything that Michal has done to this game.
He has even given us a way to mod different things and experiment with his game.
I dont think this should be given out of any companies to sell.

Though it would be nice if he fixed the 'netcodes?'...

Koon
March 7, 2006, 11:49 pm
What company would buy a 2D engine? They are only concerned with 3D games and they wont be looking back. We'll have to leave our nice simple little games like soldat up to independant programmers like Michal.

Chakra`
March 8, 2006, 12:18 am
Plenty of people would. Think of all the hand held consoles, freeware games you can download on your Xbox, mobile phones even. List goes on.

But I don't think he could. Theres too many minor bugs that he'd have to clear up, which may not be actually possible. He build the basics of the code years ago when he was just a kid and wet behind the ears, and has come along way, but built on top of previous inexperience ever since.

....maybe he should patent it.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 12:36 am
dont sell it..no matter how beneficial it would be....i like our nice little community...a big sell like that would mean the population would sky rocket compared to what its at now....and i hate crowded places :(

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 12:46 am
Selling it... it wont be unique anymore.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 12:54 am
I voted no because if MM did sell it the future of soldat would be uncertain. But since I embrace change he should fix some of the glitches before going any further in upgrades.

CrazyKid980
March 8, 2006, 1:35 am
Keep it, Soldat is great the way it is. Quote:Originally posted by AgresivulI voted no because if MM did sell it the future of soldat would be uncertain.

Exactly, knowing the odds, Soldat could fall in wrong hands. They could just abandon it right away, they could make Soldat completely different, or they could make Soldat worse. I don't like it at all.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 2:11 am
sell it.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 2:22 am
 Quote:Originally posted by citAsell it.

Shame on you.
As for patenting, it might stop those koreans, but it would probably cost too much.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 2:25 am
:P lol

@citabadperson
why would you even think about that!
that should call for a ban! (not really)

--------------

yea, but i like our little communitie.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 2:49 am
what enesce said, selling it would just make a whole lot of new 2D games that are crap, and eventually soldat would be phased out...
why do you need a campaign mode anyway?

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 2:53 am
Lol, if Soldat's gaming population rose, I wonder what would happen to these forums?

Would they still be open to the public?

LolI bet the moderators will turn crazy.

peemonkey
March 8, 2006, 4:39 am
Soldat is ours.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 5:50 am
How many members have we got on these forums.
Peemonkey: Soldat is MM's, then ours

Echo_Trail
March 8, 2006, 11:08 am
In the end it's all up to michal, and for all I know, he won't sell it just ebcause the forumers tell him to. nor the other way around.

As a forumer and a big fan of soldat, I am very much against Michal selling the game. It is clear that soldat has come such a long way because of the love that one man have to this game, and the fact that he is able to.. customize it as he wants. Selling the game would make soldat less of a personal game. in my eyes anyway.

As it is now, the small people, the forumers, the ppl that actually play soldat has a voice of their own. We can even contribute to soldat with ideas, complaints and suggestions. If solat was owned by a big company of some kind, I fear this would no longer be possible, or at least not as much as it is now.
Thank you, echo_trail aka CE | Djinn

Dark_Noddy
March 8, 2006, 2:55 pm
nice post Echo :)

Soldat is MM's lovechild >_> and we are the other half.. The game is GAMEPLAY not money, as MM has stated many times he hates flashy games with lousy game quality so do I, thats why I love soldat !

Not that I think he ever would, but dont sell it ! eeep

Mr. Domino
March 14, 2006, 7:38 pm
I wonder if he'd have anything to gain from selling through Steam. It's certainly expose the game to a lot of people who don't know about it. The only real advertising the game gets is the occaisional word of mouth and links in other independent games like N.

livingdalife
March 14, 2006, 8:59 pm
are u outta ur mind why have another good game go commercial? that would be stupid, I don't wanna have to buy soldat, keep it freeware!!!! Don't sell it michal, I love it to much!

Deleted User
March 14, 2006, 9:05 pm
sell it.. it needs evolvement!

headstone
March 14, 2006, 10:44 pm
Why are you guys pleading Michal not too sell it... when he's never even mentioned or talked about doing so?

Pathos
March 15, 2006, 11:40 am
stupid idea really.

but soldat needs more developement ... more bug fixes.

Deleted User
March 15, 2006, 1:09 pm
Keep it!

Deleted User
March 15, 2006, 2:39 pm
Bah, why would he do that?

Deleted User
March 15, 2006, 2:43 pm
I think he should sell it eventually and let a company produce a commercial Soldat 2.

ThaD
March 15, 2006, 5:07 pm
I agree with Stalky. Michal won't spend the rest of his life on improving Soldat; one day he will say 'stop' and it'd better for him and us to sell this game then.

Rusty_Screw
March 15, 2006, 11:34 pm
Im not sure cause everything has a high and a low. If he sold it to a company he would make alot of money and get time to spend to himself but the downside is that he might become a sell out. If he kept it he could make it better on his own pace but if he sold it to a company they might make console versions and other stuff like action figures :P and comic books.

zyxstand
March 16, 2006, 3:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by EnEsCeSelling it... it wont be unique anymore.

are ye crazy? don't any of you want to see new REVOLUTIONARY features such as TRIGGERS??? CAMPAIGN MODE???
selling it will most likely give us these availability...
also, just thought of this, it would be cool to have a good 2D mmorpg that actually requries some sort of skill to advance (unlike other stupid 2D mmorpg's such as maple story (NO SKILLS AT ALL)) - it would be rather revultionary on a global scale... i believe since soldat will be the only major good 2D (unlike all those 3D (could name you at least 20)), it would be played by so many people - it won't even be funny... and if this would be an mmorpg it would be so totally overplayed. also, most mmorpg's main concern is the economic state of everything (how much things cost, how hard it is to earn money, etc.) and only secondly the killing part - whereas soldat has an already well developed gameplay and the monetary conern won't be hard to deal with.

I always dream of the day that soldat becomes big and popular and even an mmorpg... missions to go out and kill npc's - fights between people and clans... a banking system, upgrades for weapons and such, earning more jets, health packs, grenade carrying case, buying (bonus) packs (pred mode, berserk), buying flame thrower, vest... etc. etc. - owning a house maybe even (or renting one?)... - the point is that the possibilities are virtually endless!

EDIT:
 Quote:Originally posted by Da cHeeSeMaNonly for 300 billion else ill kill you MM

OMG OMG death threat! BAN BAN!

CrazyKid980
March 16, 2006, 3:14 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by zyxstand

I always dream of the day that soldat becomes big and popular and even an mmorpg... missions to go out and kill npc's - fights between people and clans... a banking system, upgrades for weapons and such, earning more jets, health packs, grenade carrying case, buying (bonus) packs (pred mode, berserk), buying flame thrower, vest... etc. etc. - owning a house maybe even (or renting one?)... - the point is that the possibilities are virtually endless!

Wow, I never thought there were so many ways Soldat would die if it became a MMORPG. Banking Systems? Weapon Upgrades? Owning a house? (Sure, I love to buy a beach house right next to that mine over there.) I dont care how long you've played Soldat, you seem to forget that Soldat is meant to be a skill game, and ONLY just a fair, skill game. MMORPG's always find ways to make it unfair, impossible to level up, and it's not unique. Isn't that what we want Soldat to be? Different from other games? There's so many MMORPGS out there, that making another one would make the internet explode. Yea, I know the possiblities are endless, but that's whats scares me about it. What if Soldat becomes a big dissapointment? What if Soldat loses to a competiving game? This is something that'll take maybe years to think about. It's just too big of a step too early.

GAMEOVER
March 16, 2006, 4:34 pm
I didnt read what everyone else said but after reading the question my instant and ONLY awnser is NO. One of the very reasons I love Soldat is because its made by an independant source. MM can relate and better respond to our needs in a game and keep this community happy. If MM were to sell this to a big corp in a years time the game would probably either die or be a whole nother game! Do not ever sell this game.. Being an entrepreneur myself, if I were in MMs shoes, id start a small company since he seems to be wanting to develop other games and stay small. I think hes from Poland but you guys from the USA ill give you an example. Jones Soda or Faygo, they make great pop and its better then beverages distributed by big companies imo or better yet go into mcdonalds and youll feel like a robotic customer compared to if you went into a familly owned diner. Its not just the game (or in my example the food) that draws customers its his what seems down to earth approach to the public and if not draws, keeps. MM could be like the next Rockstar games.

ONX
March 16, 2006, 5:10 pm
soon you know... there will be no 2d games. i seem evil, but i know that. the only 2d games will be little class projects... all games will be 3d. the ingenuety of games will go down the crapper... all independent programmers wil lhave a hard time. dude, we are goin into ultra high tech. soon battlefield 2 will look like a cheaply made game