( search forums )
CTF_Paradiso
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Norris Scott
March 8, 2006, 1:41 am
Description: Medium CTF map with other game types available on it. Designed as a tropical island/king-of-the-hill esque battle for supremacy. There's two routes to the enemy bases-- just be careful not to drown underwater!

Waypoints: no
Recommended Players: 6-8/8-12
Date Uploaded: 03-07-2006

Overview:
[IMAGE]
http://sml.u13.net/maps/overview/Overview_01.jpg (18.37 KB)

Screenshots:
Red Base: [URL]
Underwater Route: [URL]
Hilltop: [URL]
Blue Islandside: [URL]
Bottom of the Ocean: [URL]

** Download **
(40.87 KB)

I had to edit the automated post, Snipa, 'cause something messed up in the post

Also, note that screenshots were taken before I changed the background color-- things are much lighter in-game now.

To add a bit of 'realism' to the map, the polys underwater all hurt-- just as if you were drowning! It's Realistic playable-- the low route really is just a rush-point to the flag. It's much faster then the upper route, but the drawback is the danger of taking it.

Jets are set to low... it's enough to get from the low route to the base, and from the base to the island, etc... but you have to use it wisely or you'll fall to the depths.

rabidhamster
March 8, 2006, 1:59 am
the symmetry, it burns! even though my contest map is symmetrical as well :/

it's alright, but there's no scenery at all, right?

Norris Scott
March 8, 2006, 2:17 am
No, there is, and it's included in the .zip

There's the sun and there's grass to make it look spiffy :D

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 2:21 am
looks pretty cool :D
*downloads*

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 2:30 am
I think it could use some shading. It looks like such a simple little map too lol.

Eagles_Arrows
March 8, 2006, 2:36 am
Pros:
> Nice water effects

Cons:
> Layout's too simple.
> Zomg, where're the trees?! O_o

g-force9
March 8, 2006, 2:58 am
I like the water effects the fact that the flags are on little desert islands, and the underwater passageway. Having said that, I have some thoughts. The island needs sand, it can't completly lush green from top to bottom, and the islands where the flags would be set need to be completly sand. And the main island would need to be larger, and if you comeback to make a newer versoion, make the island bigger depending on howmuch people can play on it.

Deleted User
March 8, 2006, 3:00 am
in asia, theres areas like his map, but yea some sand(and trees) would be nice

Norris Scott
March 8, 2006, 3:58 am
I was thinking about making it bigger, yeah... I'm just really unfamiliar with how to do multitexturing. I've read the tuts, but I'm still lost on it.

As far as trees, if you guys have ANY tropical tree scenerys (all of mine seem to be forest...) then post them here for me, I'll see about that.

I agree entirely with the sand thing, I just don't know how I'd go about doing it.

Raptor
March 8, 2006, 4:32 am
Not a really good map, lacks shading and texture stretching. Imagine the map witout the water scenery =/

Norris Scott
March 8, 2006, 6:30 am
It's been shaded... o_O

I guess I didn't shade dominant enough then... I'm still learning unfortunately, long as I've been going at this.

rabidhamster
March 8, 2006, 11:48 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Norris ScottAs far as trees, if you guys have ANY tropical tree scenerys (all of mine seem to be forest...) then post them here for me, I'll see about that.

*cough* jungletree1 and jungletree2 *cough*

darkmatie
March 8, 2006, 12:42 pm
good:
-nice water
bad:
-any vegetation but grass?
-texture goes to look ALOT like a patron, like i had in my map ctf_bunkermania, you should stretch the textures a bit at random, like i did
-the light is supposed to come from the sun, why is the shading like the light comes from the whole line of the sky