( search forums )
ctf_mines
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
-Ghost-
March 8, 2006, 6:00 am
I'm nearing completion of my map ctf_mines, but have become unsure of the general reaction it will recieve. So I have posted this image of it in its near-completed form
[IMAGE]

This is my first (real) map to do and I dont want to [CENSORED] it up :P

Soulsnipa
March 8, 2006, 6:58 am
some parts are just too triangly and pointy. Also beef up the edges, they are just too skinny. Get rid of that sun scenery, its ugly. Shading isnt too bad I guess. Needs some work, overall its not too bad.

rabidhamster
March 8, 2006, 11:53 am
i like it soulsnipa. the vibrant green against the black contrasts in a nice way, and the thin and pointy polygons appear all the time in the default maps. although try setting the moon flare thing to an fx_spot scenery, with an opacity of around 80.

Soulsnipa
March 8, 2006, 7:41 pm
default maps are the suck visually so dont compare

rabidhamster
March 8, 2006, 8:53 pm
aww don't be hatin' on the default maps, they're my favorite (visually).

-Ghost-
March 9, 2006, 2:00 am
Thanks for the input guys. I'll work on my map some more and might post more pics of a "better" stage later.

-Ghost-
March 10, 2006, 12:55 am
There ya go! I've made some tiny changes: smoothed out a bunch of corners, added colliders on cover, fixed getting stuck on (most) polys, I thickened up the ground, fixed some shading, changed to background colours so they are lighter, and got rid of the lens flare/sun scenery.

I'm determined not to let this go until I think it is perfect so probobly not for a while.

Overview shot
[IMAGE]
Where the underground shading is lighter, there are lights.

One in-game screen of Alpha base
[IMAGE]

Soulsnipa
March 10, 2006, 6:22 am
ok now post a wireframe of your entire map... and in a select 2 areas: 1 towards the bulk and one somewhere of your choice. I wanna see how you placed your polygons so I can suggest further advice.

May I suggest using 90% BLACK to shade the underside of polygons, really gives good definition.

darkmatie
March 10, 2006, 6:54 pm
i liked the darker background more, i think the slightly brown-ish doesnt fit really good

-Ghost-
March 11, 2006, 2:26 pm
Wire frame number one (near middle of the map)
[IMAGE]

Wireframe number two (Bravo base)
[IMAGE]

These screens were just before I got started with darker shading (Thanks Soulsnipa it looks great *gives thumbs up*)