( search forums )
Reload on picked up guns
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
3rd_account
March 12, 2006, 3:21 am
So I was just thinking it's a shame that you no longer can pick up a gun and start shooting with it, just like in the older versions. Don't remember the reasons for auto reload on picked up guns, but surely we all wouldn't mind being able to beat an enemy and instead of waiting for an agonizing reload simply take his gun.

It's sorta self-explaining... Vote!

HYPERFUNKBOT
March 12, 2006, 4:11 am
remove

_Mancer_
March 12, 2006, 5:42 am
Remove it. I hate having to wait like 20 seconds to reload a barret. you dont even live 20 seconds in soldat :|

UNKNOWN
March 12, 2006, 5:44 am
i agree with every1 who so far posted...remove it

frogboy
March 12, 2006, 7:03 am
It was implemented because of the exploit where you could reload something quicker by dropping it on the ground.

person
March 12, 2006, 7:15 am
I thought it was there to help prevent weapons from jamming, especially the knife.

I have not noticed a significant difference between now and then on this matter, really. It still happens a lot with the knife.
So basically yeah, I too prefer the old way of doing things there.

And frogboy; I'd say that "bug" is pretty pointless and almost never comes into play anyway... less than the crouch "bug" even.

Deleted User
March 12, 2006, 8:00 am
Remove it!!

a-4-year-old
March 12, 2006, 1:48 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by person

And frogboy; I'd say that "bug" is pretty pointless and almost never comes into play anyway... less than the crouch "bug" even.

because it was fixed.

the bug was that you could throw a weapon (law) away and pick it up again and it would be fully reloaded.

Unless MM finds a better way to fix this bug the reload stays.

person
March 12, 2006, 2:32 pm
I meant I barely noticed it when it was present... I'm surprised I just had to point that out.

rabidhamster
March 12, 2006, 2:33 pm
i think it should be an option in the weapons.ini file.

a-4-year-old
March 12, 2006, 3:03 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by personI meant I barely noticed it when it was present... I'm surprised I just had to point that out.

good, you didn't abuse it like some people.

rabidhampster, i have no idea what you are saying, i mean it would totally change the game for some people.

It would be like hacking, just change a setting in a file and you can have a law that reloads from a bug.

HYPERFUNKBOT
March 12, 2006, 3:09 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-old Quote:Originally posted by person

because it was fixed.

the bug was that you could throw a weapon (law) away and pick it up again and it would be fully reloaded.

Unless MM finds a better way to fix this bug the reload stays.

Why didn't he just make the weapons keep track of their reload time/number of bullets present, and then continue where it left off in the clip when the weapon is picked up? That way, if you drop a weapon that is being reloaded, it pauses reloading, you pick it up, and you have to continue from the same spot in the reloading process.

Keron Cyst
March 12, 2006, 4:07 pm
^ How unrealistic.

As for the actual poll, I like it better this way. You need more tactics.

Deleted User
March 12, 2006, 5:07 pm
in the older versions I thought it was like the gun keeps the same number of bullets it had when it was dropped. And it restarted the reloading if dropped when reloading. Am I mistaken?

mar77a
March 12, 2006, 5:43 pm
Keron, you are wrong. Throwing a weapon to reload it faster is indeed a techinique that was worth knowing. (Especially mid air throw-catch, that looks very cool).

a-4-year-old
March 12, 2006, 9:01 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOTWhy didn't he just make the weapons keep track of their reload time/number of bullets present, and then continue where it left off in the clip when the weapon is picked up? That way, if you drop a weapon that is being reloaded, it pauses reloading, you pick it up, and you have to continue from the same spot in the reloading process.

it was like that mostly, just not the reloading, if you dropped it it would ether start again or give you full.

Deleted User
March 12, 2006, 9:24 pm
Actually, you had to drop it and pick it up again twice in quick succession for it to be fully loaded, otherwise it would just be the regular amount of ammo. If it's removed, people will just start exploiting the bug again. I know I will.

HYPERFUNKBOT
March 12, 2006, 9:34 pm
well than fix the picking it up twice bug.

Zegovia
March 13, 2006, 12:29 pm
Remove it for christ sake... nothing beats of having lost your weapon and you make a roll over a barret and nails em!

The barret still should be prepearing the next bullet even if you pick it up again..

HYPERFUNKBOT
March 13, 2006, 5:09 pm
basically the current solution is like curing a disease by killing the patient.

a-4-year-old
March 13, 2006, 10:31 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOTbasically the current solution is like curing a disease by killing the patient.

thats not really a very good analogy, it would be more like covering up the bug like it is some secret in the government ¬_¬

bja888
March 14, 2006, 12:29 am
1) put it back the way it was
2) fix the law bug
3) FIX ALL 3 FREAKING GUN JAMS!!

Deleted User
March 15, 2006, 12:48 am
It's a better solution if the bugs were fixed.

How's this analogy: We're stopping the thieves by locking the door, and now everyone's annoyed that they have to carry a key around. It's better if the thieves didn't have anything to steal in the first place

- Tek -
March 15, 2006, 1:30 am
I can settle for half reload or half ammo.

a-4-year-old
March 15, 2006, 2:07 am
 Quote:Originally posted by shoesIt's a better solution if the bugs were fixed.

How's this analogy: We're stopping the thieves by locking the door, and now everyone's annoyed that they have to carry a key around. It's better if the thieves didn't have anything to steal in the first place

better, but it seems it should seem more troublesome than that.

how about, in a safe deposit box at the bank, to stop theves they locked the box, but now, nobody can get the stuff in the box. and it would be better if there was just nothing to take from the box.

huh? huh?

person
March 15, 2006, 3:38 am
In medical terms: It's treating the symptoms, and not the cause.

Ie: giving medecine to a patient for a genetic disorder.

3rd_account
March 15, 2006, 8:48 pm
..or paying double for daytime hookers

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 16, 2006, 8:46 am
what the most sensible thing to do is to completely do something else... this is to re-program so that when you pick up a dropped weapon, you continue the ammo/reload point from when it was last dropped, e.g sniper killed with 6 bullets of barret and next person picks it up with 6 bullets in it... i hope this idea gets though about, it would be the most relistic i thnk

3rd_account
March 16, 2006, 2:40 pm
That's exactly how it used to be, lamzzor. Wasn't anything wrong with that! ;_;

bja888
March 16, 2006, 3:52 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by l33t lamZz0r c4mp3rwhat the most sensible thing to do is to completely do something else... this is to re-program so that when you pick up a dropped weapon, you continue the ammo/reload point from when it was last dropped, e.g sniper killed with 6 bullets of barret and next person picks it up with 6 bullets in it... i hope this idea gets though about, it would be the most relistic i thnk

I agree!
In fact... how does this bug even exist?!?!
If you don't know anything about programming, here is the logical way it should work...
Each gun is an object, each object should hold its own stats like how much ammo is left. It should only reload when it is told to. So.... how does picking up a weapon change change its properties... the only thing that should change is who that instance of the object belongs too...

I don't understand where most of the bugs in the game come from. I think MM needs to re-program the whole game.

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 17, 2006, 12:30 pm
wow... it used to continue from last ammo???? i havent been playing soldat for THAT long....

Deleted User
March 18, 2006, 1:41 am
oh come on. The reload is nothing more than an annoyance. You can pretend the guy is checking to see if the gun is jammed or something.

Raptor
March 18, 2006, 2:51 am
Remove.

a-4-year-old
March 18, 2006, 5:09 am
 Quote:Originally posted by l33t lamZz0r c4mp3rwow... it used to continue from last ammo???? i havent been playing soldat for THAT long....

what is your first version?

1.2.1 and i thought i was new.

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 22, 2006, 11:14 am
Wait... i somehow found the 1st ever ever Soldat in my older brothers computer... lol SOCOM used to be automatic... yeh... the weapons DID continue from last reload... but not the fire interval... so you could shoot barrett drop pick and shoot barrett... OLD IDEA WAS BEST!