( search forums )
This fixes some font-bugs...
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
DePhille
March 14, 2006, 3:06 pm
Hi,

I had some spare time and I opened the snitz CSS file and fixed some stuff.

[Bugfix1]
.spnMessageText /* Don't [CENSORED]ing know */
Change it to:
.spnMessageText { font-size:11pt } /* First message SPAN*/

I changed it to 11pt and the first message's font shows the same as all the other posts.

[Bugfix2]
-> In the ASP code prolly.
Use <font size="-1">TEXT</font> instead of <small>TEXT</small>. the small tag isn't supported by every browser while the font tag is. Ofcourse they both produce the same output.

[Bugfix3]
-> In the ASP code.
In the code that generates the first post:
Find <span class="spnMessageText">HERE's THE USER's SIGNATURE</span> and remove the span tags.
Find the <font color="" face="" size="">HERE's THE USER's SIGNATURE</font> and replace the first tag with <font size="-1"> (Or <small>).

This fixes the huge signature output.

[Bugfix4]
-> In the ASP code.
Find <font face="" size="" color="">Edited by - DePhille on 14 Mar 2006 14:37:18</font> and replace it with <font size="1">Edited by - DePhille on 14 Mar 2006 14:37:18</font>

This fixes the huge "EDITED BY" text under the first post.

There is a bug in the ASP code that generates the first post where it doesn't fill in <font color="" size="" face=""> and some other properties of other tags. Someone made a mistake by replacing the admin system with the CSS file probably.

Grtz , DePhille

GluLm
March 14, 2006, 6:17 pm
Good one DePhille. I hope our admins will consider your fixes and edit the css now.

Deleted User
March 14, 2006, 6:59 pm
good.. fixes is good. everything is back to normal. somewhat:p

bja888
March 14, 2006, 8:11 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by DePhilleHi,

I had some spare time and I opened the snitz CSS file and fixed some stuff.

[Bugfix1]
.spnMessageText { font-size:10pt } /* Don't [CENSORED]ing know */
Change it to:
.spnMessageText { font-size:11pt } /* First message DIV*/

I changed it to 11pt and the first message's font shows the same as all the other posts.

.spnMessageText { font-size:1.2em; }

Quote:Originally posted by DePhille
[Bugfix2]
-> In the ASP code prolly.
Use <font size="-1">TEXT</font> instead of <small>TEXT</small>. the small tag isn't supported by every browser while the font tag is. Ofcourse they both produce the same output.

<span style="font-size:0.8em"></span>

[Bugfix3]
-> In the ASP code.
Find <span class="spnMessageText">HERE's THE USER's SIGNATURE</span> and remove the span tags.
Find the <font color="" face="" size="">HERE's THE USER's SIGNATURE</font> and replace the first tag with <font size="-1"> (Or <small>).
This fixes the huge signature output.

From the w3....
 Quote:Use styles (instead of the <font> tag) to define the font face, font size, and font color of text.
Use the <span> tag to group inline-elements to format them with styles

[Bugfix4]
-> In the ASP code.
Find <font face="" size="" color="">Edited by - DePhille on 14 Mar 2006 14:37:18</font> and replace it with <font size="1">Edited by - DePhille on 14 Mar 2006 14:37:18</font>

This fixes the huge "EDITED BY" text under the first post.

There is a bug in the ASP code that generates the first post where it doesn't fill in <font color="" size="" face=""> and some other properties of other tags. Someone made a mistake by replacing the admin system with the CSS file probably.

Grtz , DePhille

...no comment on the last one.

DePhille
March 14, 2006, 8:42 pm
Bja888: actually px is the bext thing to use. em sometimes interferes with percentages (open the snitz.css file , percentages are used).

I also recommend to use styles instead of plain HTML tags (It's easier to modify it later on). But it requires alot of work to remove all <font> tags and use proper CSS for them without having a huge CSS file (which is also bad).

atm we're just looking for changes that will hardly make a diffrence (styles instead of <span> , em instead of pt , ...) Since they all have their bad and good points.
SO let's just edit the CSS file with pt like the whole forums are built on , and do the same for <font> vs <span>.
We don't want that half of the forum uses em and the other half pt for example. same for <span> and <font>

Grtz , DePhille

bja888
March 15, 2006, 3:54 am
 Quote:Originally posted by DePhilleBja888: actually px is the bext thing to use. em sometimes interferes with percentages
lol, em is always a percentage :)

Its the "correct" way to display font sizes. I was on a Mobil device called a "pocket surfer" earlier today. The true test of how well a site has been put together. Allowing the device control the font size it the best way to decide font sizes.

DePhille
March 15, 2006, 1:42 pm
Using em isn't the adviced thing to do. It is less bug-free than px or pt but it does display diffrent from browser to browser. If you want to set some static font size the best thing to use is px , you can check the i'net for that. BUt if this site is using pt already then why cause problems and move to another unit?

Grtz , DePhille