( search forums )
Pro in soldat, sucker in UT.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
numgun
March 15, 2006, 3:43 pm
quite funny, i've been playing soldat for about 3 years and im damn good in it. usually i come up as top 3 in DM, in ctfs i make most kills and stuff.
But now i found another cool game: Unreal Tournament 2004
it has all the things i dreamed to have in soldat. vehicles, weapons, special moves, and loads of other stuff that didnt come to soldat.
the only point is that its 3D first person shooter. i started playing it a month ago and its totally diffirent. i literally suck in it.
now im starting the way to the top once again...
and now i noticed: if ur good at 1 game u cant be good in another.

u guys had same experiences? just intresting to know ; )

GAMEOVER
March 15, 2006, 6:42 pm
Not to sound like a prick, but I highly doubt your "pro" in soldat. Real pros usually tend to dominate in pub servers (DMorCTF) because the competition level isnt there. You want to be pro go win a league such as SCTFL or TNL and consistantly beat top clans some who are pro some not. You are a vet which just means your "expierenced" but not necessarily pro.

lithium
March 15, 2006, 7:31 pm
Well if you want to nitpick nobody's really "pro" because pro is short for professional, which would mean you get paid to play Soldat :p

Back on topic: other games suck. I haven't played any other games for the last five months, since I started playing.

CrazyKid980
March 15, 2006, 8:00 pm
Soldat to Counter-Strike.
I'm O.K. in CS, but it's mostly luck :P can't hit for [CENSORED].

Deleted User
March 15, 2006, 8:39 pm
So you realized that being good in Soldat doesn't mean that you'll be good in a completely different game? Congratulations.

Swarmer
March 15, 2006, 9:01 pm
I was playing an epic game of Monopoly one day, and was losing, until I remembered my Soldat skills and dominated everyone. With violence.

Deleted User
March 15, 2006, 9:46 pm
Well, you obviously knew what he meant by pro. Jeez, he even explained it himself,he gets high scores.
No need to hit him for saying it. -_-
Anyhow, yeh, I disagree, I can own in any other game! :P
Muaha.

Deleted User
March 16, 2006, 4:25 am
Not only do you have to aim, you have to aim in one more dimension :)

Pride is for teh suxor

Deleted User
March 16, 2006, 7:36 am
in cs i own in soldat i kinda own in ut i suck big weener in most otehr games i own.

Ok
March 16, 2006, 8:46 am
 Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERNot to sound like a prick, but I highly doubt your "pro" in soldat. Real pros usually tend to dominate in pub servers (DMorCTF) because the competition level isnt there. You want to be pro go win a league such as SCTFL or TNL and consistantly beat top clans some who are pro some not. You are a vet which just means your "expierenced" but not necessarily pro.

I concure.
Ofcourse when I concure, I do it for a reason.
You see the fact that after 3 years you haven't really gotten really profesional in soldat, is because you're not that good in these kind of games, prehapes you'll be better in NFS?
Being good in one game actualy helps you being good in another similiar game.

Even if its 2D and 3D, its the understanding of the concept that matters, for example, I can have the least kills and still be the guy who won the game, EVEN though I never capped once.

I started playing Blitz1941, its more similiar to UT I think, but I used the same principles I used in Soldat, team work, communication, and using your mates as decoy and distraction while you sneak in their base or just from behind.

These are war games, which means they require strategic thinking.

_Mancer_
March 16, 2006, 11:53 am
 Quote:I concure.
Ofcourse when I concure, I do it for a reason.
You see the fact that after 3 years you haven't really gotten really profesional in soldat, is because you're not that good in these kind of games, prehapes you'll be better in NFS?
Being good in one game actualy helps you being good in another similiar game.

Even if its 2D and 3D, its the understanding of the concept that matters, for example, I can have the least kills and still be the guy who won the game, EVEN though I never capped once.

I started playing Blitz1941, its more similiar to UT I think, but I used the same principles I used in Soldat, team work, communication, and using your mates as decoy and distraction while you sneak in their base or just from behind.

Couldnt have said that any better myself

Deleted User
March 16, 2006, 1:45 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Ok

But it's mostly a bloody zerg or pure luck.

Deleted User
March 16, 2006, 3:27 pm
In soldat i pwn but in Enemy territory i totally suck!

bl00dy_n0se
March 16, 2006, 8:48 pm
I think I'm quite good in CoD2 but I have nothing to compare my skill with, cuz I just play on Public Servers!

But there are some people who can play any game at a very high skill level, dont know how they manage to do this, but its true! A friend of mine really owns everygame he plays, he is amazing :D

Eagles_Arrows
March 16, 2006, 11:02 pm
The only game I played & sucked at was Counter-Strike. It's ET and UT I'm skilled in xP

bond_james_bond
March 16, 2006, 11:52 pm
I'm good in Soldat but can not play any first-player shooters...

So I stuck with startegy games =)

Ok
March 17, 2006, 7:41 am
Games are built in a way that anyone who plays it, gets good at it.
Its just those high levels that determines the difference.
For example, in soldat its that spilt second that you react before others do (in this case mostly because of lag) , so its not that big of a difference.
Also alot of stuff to consider, like computer hardware and keyboard/mouse.
Eventualy if you have a great setting and you play the game like a madman you'll get quite good at it because its built for that.

Captain Ben
March 17, 2006, 2:13 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERNot to sound like a prick, but I highly doubt your "pro" in soldat. Real pros usually tend to dominate in pub servers (DMorCTF) because the competition level isnt there. You want to be pro go win a league such as SCTFL or TNL and consistantly beat top clans some who are pro some not. You are a vet which just means your "expierenced" but not necessarily pro.

THANK YOU! Even so, I can't imagine someone who manages one kill and 26 deaths is a pro...
I pretty much suck at 3d fps games... I can't spray :(

numgun
March 17, 2006, 2:44 pm
[CENSORED] you cpt ben.

in soldat i see the player/soldat i control and its much easier to dodge threats than in 3d games where u dont see ur player. : /
tho UT 2004 has an option for behind view, but the camera is too low and i cant see my crosshair properly because the player is blocking it.
and also i cant shoot up while in behind view. Dodging is easier now, but now shooting is hard. (i hope they fix this issue.)

btw, where can i join these sctfl and tnl leagues?

a-4-year-old
March 17, 2006, 11:32 pm
im good at age of empires 3 and that has nothing to do with soldat.

i used to be good at call of duty 2 but i got so good at it that online was too easy so i quit until everyone caught up with me. now i suck at the game.

Raptor
March 18, 2006, 12:50 am
I got COD2 not long ago, and I'm really getting good at it!

Antifate
March 18, 2006, 1:27 am
Top 1-3 in DMs? Yeah... 1-26, and your in the top 1-3. Great. You must be playing with some mighty skilled people. I highly doubt that you are "pro". You can play for 10 years and simply not have the reflexes to be good. Experienced? Yes. Pro? NO.

Anyway, what are you getting at? Well, I'm the bomb at Tetris, so I MUST BE GREAT AT ALL OTHER GAMES!

WHAT'S THIS? I'M NOT GOOD IN THIS GAME? BLASPHEMY!

Just because you play "good" in one game, doesn't mean your good at the others.

a-4-year-old
March 18, 2006, 5:17 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Antifate
Just because you play "good" in one game, doesn't mean your good at the others.

i think the last like, 12 posts established that.

lol, monopoly is fun to cheat at

*robs monopoly bank* BOARDWALK MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

do us a favour and wrap yourself and all your friends in teslacoil so every computer you touch explodes

Captain Ben
March 18, 2006, 2:43 pm
Thank you, Antifate...
In my view, I've played SOldat for a [CENSORED]ing long time, but I don't see myself as a pro, nor a veteran... I win alot of games, but hey, I play in public servers and I'm Australian -_-.

Elevator Action FTW!

Ok
March 18, 2006, 3:02 pm
If the games are similiar in their basic idea, then it does have a connection and being good in one gives you a better chance at being good in the other.

It doesnt matter if its 3D or 2D its a matter if its a stratagy game, or a game based on fast reactions.

This is wrong:
 Quote:"Just because you play "good" in one game, doesn't mean your good at the others."

This is right:
"Just because you play "good" in one game, doesn't necessarily mean your good at the others."

Antifate
March 18, 2006, 3:14 pm
Well fine, then you can argue that by playing... Rock, paper, scissor, shoot can help you, because you have to predict what they're going to do. They're too entirely different games... Sure you may be good at both, but don't expect it.

Deleted User
March 19, 2006, 12:55 am
I have really good luck with soldat.....Other games which i play:

Call of duty 2: top 5-10, depends on gametype, ping, map (my fps is low on big maps)
Americas army: Top 5...always top 5 if i'm being serious
Enemy territory: One of the lowest kekekekekeke

Now with soldat if i havent played for months or weeks, it usually takes around 15 minuts for me to get used to the controls, and i end up getting top 5......but next round i get 1st or 2nd, depends if the people are good or just noobs :)

Deleted User
March 19, 2006, 11:04 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by numgun
and now i noticed: if ur good at 1 game u cant be good in another.
Actually, thats not true. If you played UT as much as soldat, in theory, you should be really good. Just remember, practice makes perfect. For example, I used to do a quick 30 match in soldat every night. Now I can do it in 3 minutes.
Also, every game is different. I'm good at soldat and Total Annihilation (strategy game), which are completley different.
So don't feel bad, keep trying.

scarface
March 21, 2006, 1:07 am
I think the main difference between 2D and 3D is the dodging. In classic 2D dodging was always important and Soldat has a lot of that. You can play Soldat better with supermario skillz, but it also supports the more 3D style where good aim and low lag is everything. In 3D you can't really dodge bullets etc and that brings out very different strategies.

SeanCapsAss
March 22, 2006, 1:36 am
I rape my friends on Call of Duty 2. 3d shooters really dont take that much skill, its basically point and shoot. In most shooters I've played leading your target doesnt seem to come into play (even WW2 games). Soldat definatly takes more skill.

Marbire
March 28, 2006, 12:40 am
I stopped playing pubs for a while, especially DM..... decided I would play a little today:

[IMAGE]

Pubs are so hard to be pro in.

headstone
March 28, 2006, 2:21 am
hahahaha nice one

Deleted User
March 28, 2006, 4:51 am
 Quote:These are war games, which means they require strategic thinking.

Soldat required strategic thinking? hahahahahhahahahahahahhaha. No, by my standards soldat is a pure arcade type game. I mean the strategy is pretty much non-existent. Obviously you have to play smart to win, but I wouldnt call soldat a game which is strategic or requires strategic thinking. When I think about strategy i think more about games like civilization 4 ;Q.

Btw yeah marb, pubs are easy as hell.

lithium
March 29, 2006, 8:12 pm
I thought I was the only one who played civ poop :D

I prefer civ3 by far though.

On topic, it's basically what everybody else has said, just cos youre good at soldat doesnt mean you'll be good at UT. Maybe having experience in soldat will have trained your reflexes, but there's nothing that can beat experience in the game itself.

Mini G Master
March 30, 2006, 4:22 am
Shooting/Action all the way.

Strategic skills are ok, i just like to call my self a TACTICAL Bas--....well ya know.

I Stink in RPG.I usually cheat in those games *lol* _NWN_ Debug mode.