( search forums )
No barret startup
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Soldat Improvements Discussion
l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 16, 2006, 10:21 am
I wish there was no start up time for barret, though it does make sad campers and hiders (unlike me) reli easy to shoot... a way to resolve this could be more bink? nore recoil? just giving a suggestion becuse i dont think real sniper rifles (e.g Barret M82A1 and HK PSG-1) have start up time....

zaraza
March 16, 2006, 12:35 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by l33t lamzoblahblahblahi dont think real sniper rifles (e.g Barret M82A1 and HK PSG-1) have start up time....

No they don't but it's something like aiming before shooting

Swarmer
March 16, 2006, 6:52 pm
If we made barrets realistic, then they would be semi-auto and firing faster than Deagles. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice realism for gameplay.

Deleted User
March 16, 2006, 10:53 pm
[CENSORED] no, barret would be picked up again as a "newb weapon" not to mention remedy..

Arbalest
March 17, 2006, 6:42 am
Personally I agree with no start-up time. Start-up time totally destroys Barret's key advantage: Range. With start-up time even when your crouching or prone it allows the target to get to your screen before you can take it out because you have to aim delicately at it cause of the start-up time. Why is this a problem? Retaliation. If the shot fails AND the target is on your screen frame he can see exactly where you are AND any of your attempt to hide or run away, basically he will chase you down and not give you another chance to settle down and aim. If you try to shoot will moving the bink will totally get to you and if you try to stop mid-air and shoot then you have chance but if the guy have a auto he will inflict bink on you with his bullets which keeps you from having a good aim.

If the barret does not have a start-up time. Sure the guy would still be able to see your bullet tracer and vaguely determines your location because he has not entered the screen your on. SO, you have a second chance! Before the guy enters your screen you can quickly run away, hide(optional), and reload (Just get out of your original camp position). Then when the guy is trying to relocate you, you should be close to finish reloading and when he finds you you should be already settled down ready to shoot again!

I understand that without start-up the barret will be way easier to aim. But it alreadys has a slow reload and interval. Without start-up it can really allow a sniper war and make barret truly a sniper/camping weapon. Plus it also trains people to move in caution or in an unpredictable manner. It will make Barret more thrilling and it sure is better then go up to a guy and blow his face-off with a m79 shell.

Sigh... I guess most of you won't buy this SO... here is my final statment:
Make the start-up time shorter damn it! Barret isn't a freaking LAW that fires bullets!

Zegovia
March 17, 2006, 9:41 am
I wouldnt mind having the barret startup time removed, but it makes things much harder, so you much think when using it...you have to act like an actuall sniper when using it, change posistion after each kill and/or when your posistion is revealed...

Edit: couldnt we consider the barret startup time as that the user slowly squeaases the trigger..

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 17, 2006, 9:59 am
AGREED with all of yous, except Zamorak... True that you do have to sacrifice realism for gameplay otherwise it WILL become a "n00b weapon" but then you could always conpanstate with other atributes such as mov acc. bink etc. VERY true that the start up time could be thought of as time to aim but if you shorten the "aim time" for mov. acc. and bink it would make more sense...

Yuth
March 17, 2006, 1:39 pm
Barret's startup time is very needed indeed.
Without this startup time it would be used by more unskilled players.

I just think Soldat needs even MORE things to add more skills than laming into use.
Making the Barret more complicated would be to give it more advanced usage.

WHICH I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD ACCEPT!
"Please remove the startup time so I can become better"
Aww come'on, if you can't deal with this [CENSORED]ing startup time that's your lack of skill.

SOLDAT NEEDS MORE OF THESE ADVANCED USAGE IN WEAPONS!
Please stop whining, and come with more solutions instead of removal.

person
March 17, 2006, 1:53 pm
This is another instance of how things have been previously in the game, "too l33t for me to be bothered typing your name correctly".

Now I'm pretty sure the startup time was made to make the gun more difficult to use, right? And that's because it was the MOST used weapon in the game by FAR. It was followed closely by the M79, which has since taken off considerably.

Even with the startup time, it can be very deadly; I use it usually when I'm on the alt. route in wars and do quite well with it.

So in the end, forget about your little ideas. The thing about the barret is that it already DOES and DID have a very high movementacc value, and a lot of bink also. And I hope you can guess that it wasn't stopping it from being incredibly powerful.

a-4-year-old
March 18, 2006, 1:00 am
 Quote:Originally posted by YuthBarret's startup time is very needed indeed.
Without this startup time it would be used by more unskilled players.

I just think Soldat needs even MORE things to add more skills than laming into use.
Making the Barret more complicated would be to give it more advanced usage.

WHICH I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD ACCEPT!
"Please remove the startup time so I can become better"
Aww come'on, if you can't deal with this [CENSORED]ing startup time that's your lack of skill.

SOLDAT NEEDS MORE OF THESE ADVANCED USAGE IN WEAPONS!
Please stop whining, and come with more solutions instead of removal.

good... good... let your anger flow through you

now, if you had any skill at all at anything, you would be able to shoot with the barret in the air and hit with accuracy.

this is a perfect example of "change soldat so i can be gooder"

changing the barret's startup time would set soldat back a few versions.

and the way you use the barret, it basically is a law.

Alamo
March 18, 2006, 1:18 am
I don't see the necessity for the removal of the startup time. I'm not especially training with the Barrett but I can still use it very good. It's not hard to get a hit from midair! Most of the time, you hit the enemy anyway (at least if you are a little skilled/trained).
The startup time gives everything a little realism too. The Barrett is a sniper rifle! As opposed to an automatic assault weapon, which you'd normally use impulsively (with a weight of maybe 5kg - easy to handle) and just pull the trigger without thinking when something shows up, the Barrett has considerable weight (15kg) and recoil. Aiming a gun as heavy as the Barrett just takes some time... As you can't simulate the time you need to move the gun around (it would just drive everyone nuts to not be able to decide how fast you aim), why not add that tiny startuptime?
And don't tell me about the minigun being close to uncarriable - it's still too weak and has to still be able to compete with the other guns.

Antifate
March 18, 2006, 1:32 am
The Barret's job, right now in this version, is to be a camping weapon. Strangely enough, in real life, sniper rifles are USED as a camping weapon. Huh... Coincidence? I THINK NOT! Okay, sorry, but I really wanted to say that.

F3nyx
March 21, 2006, 7:09 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SwarmerIf we made barrets realistic, then they would be semi-auto and firing faster than Deagles. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice realism for gameplay.

The M82A1 is indeed semi-automatic, but there exists another version, the M95, which is similar except for being bolt-action. Thus the original version was perfectly realistic. http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn03-e.htm

Now back to my hiatus.

-Ghost-
March 21, 2006, 7:07 pm
I dont know about you guys, but since the start-up was put in, Ive gotten a hellova lot better with it because Its forced me to "lock on" the target for a bit, rather than fire too early

tRaQs
March 21, 2006, 10:06 pm
Ghost that is a very good point, it allows the shooter to relax and lock on, rather than panic and put their bullet into the ceiling.
I have noticed that myself when I had to use the law with a delay.

I feel that the barret should be given stats more suitable to what it is used for. This COULD be no delay(could argue that myself, but it's not the point right now), more movement accuracy, more bink, and longer range.

The range at least should be longer than it was before, for the obvious stated reasons above because of the new delay.

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 22, 2006, 10:37 am
No one never said anything about shooting straight away with a barrett... you can always lock on before you click... but indeed the barrett startup time does make it more reasonable for barretters but like i said... you cab even it out more by more bink, maybe recoil and mov acc... lots of mov. acc. because this is mean to be use for "sniping" not a fast paced "on the move" weapon.

ssams
March 22, 2006, 10:03 pm
i thing insted of removing stard up the should incress view range to compinsate so u could lock on then still have tme to start up and shoot before ther 20 yards ahead

ssams
March 22, 2006, 10:07 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SwarmerIf we made barrets realistic, then they would be semi-auto and firing faster than Deagles. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice realism for gameplay.
this is not true the recoil is so horable with barrit u cant posssibly be be able so shoot it a buch of times
anyway they should change barrit to M24 becuse then the recharge rate would be relilistic and barrit is used for anti tank not anti personal so what is it doing in a came with no tanks anyway

-Ghost-
March 22, 2006, 11:48 pm
I agree with ssams, the view range between crouching and prone is so small its pointless to go prone and take the time to zoom in :/

About the barret being an anti-ARMOR rifle (not just tanks) I like it the way it is. (Makes it seem more badass) But if it is an anti-armor rifle I would think the bullet could go through about 40 people, not just 2-3.
Edit: unless they're wearing 1-foot thick steel plating.

Arbalest
March 24, 2006, 5:13 am
 Quote:Originally posted by ssamsi thing insted of removing stard up the should incress view range to compinsate so u could lock on then still have tme to start up and shoot before ther 20 yards ahead

I agree. Either we add more range to the Barret or we shorten the start-up time by a bit. I have given reasons to this in my earlier post.

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 24, 2006, 6:37 am
im still sticking to my no startup time and increase mov acc and bink... lol ghost... very true edit...

Deleted User
March 24, 2006, 8:45 pm
Removing the barret delay would make Instant-Remedy unstoppable once again...

Phaylanx
March 24, 2006, 11:41 pm
the barret is fine the way it is, infact its perfect

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
March 27, 2006, 11:47 am
still not happy... i love leo's server's weapon mod... the he took off the barret delay time and i dont see anyone complaining about that...

Chakra`
March 27, 2006, 12:47 pm
That's because it's a real mode server. Different rules apply to that and 'vanilla' Soldat.

The End
April 2, 2006, 9:48 am
I have a reason why the barret should be changed a bit:
Teammates. They can irritatingly just walk infront of you and thus make your bullet absolutely useless. And the "teammates locations" thing can show anyone who's infrot of you, but, to be honest, it's already hard to quess the bullet drag and the enemies locations. It probably doesn't happen on the really good (and password protected) servers, but happens a lot sometimes on leo's. It's irritating.

I can't think of what to suggest against that, unless we can count a public awareness campaing an option ^^'

dr.ON
April 2, 2006, 10:03 am
I'm barret addict.
And i like startup, n0 1 can call me barretard now and say that barret is a easy way to kill, cuz not so much people can use it now ^__^

vash763
April 2, 2006, 11:31 am

There would also be a [CENSORED] ton of recoil to balance it out.

Flying_Dutchman
April 5, 2006, 1:08 pm
There was this suggestion somewhere to remove the aim cursor when walking and let it appear again when crouching or going prone.

shoover
April 6, 2006, 9:09 pm
The barret was designed for long sniping (not 1 shot kill really). and you still got it even with a small delay, so techincally the barrets main purpose is still there. You just have to continue aiming after you made the shot.

Deleted User
April 6, 2006, 9:48 pm
The barret did not have a start up time in 1.2.1. MM changed it in 1.3.1 cause it had turned into a noob weapon.
I personaly think that was a really good choice. It taught players to develope skills for other weapons.

numgun
April 7, 2006, 7:36 am
uh... dammit, i got used to it already. o_O
it would be a funny experience to change things again tho. ; )

*unsure support*

vash763
April 7, 2006, 7:43 am
Maybe the barret should be replaced with a different kind of sniper, that way we get no more of this "OGM IT IS SEMI AUTO W/ N)0 SRT TYME>

shoover
April 7, 2006, 11:46 pm
yes vash, actually barret isnt a noob weapon, enough ppl just hated it enough so it would be a noob weapon.

After all if we died in a war cause of sniping, we dont go, "OMG noob weapon"

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
April 14, 2006, 3:40 am
Yeh flydutchman... just like in CS there is no crossahair unless you zoom into your scope... excellent.... though this still dosent answer the question about the barrett start up time.... i still strongly recommend that you remove startup time and replace with no crosshair and bink and much more mov acc... i tried this with my own weapon mod and it works fine!!! my mod for this was, Damage: 1000; Fire intv: 65; Speed: 850; Bink: -50; Mov acc: 18 NO STARTUP TIME!~!!!... try it! it will definately change the whole barret feel. No more cheap barretists running around in the air.

Aegis
April 14, 2006, 3:45 am
Startup time is the greatest addition to the barrett. It's much funner to use now, and it actually helps me aim when I am using it. No more accidental mis-fires when I click and it would have missed, thereby causing my doom.

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 6:37 am
No point in even reading all the posts.

The barret delay will stay, the barret is extremely powerful being it kills instantly alone. If you can't use a gun thats just slightly harder to use but rewarded with extra power, then learn a new gun or make your own mod. The barret should be nerfed even more, the delay only makes it harder, not weaker.

kkazican
April 25, 2006, 2:40 am
You guys a simple remedy that obviously everyone has been aiming for since 1.1.5 when barret was exploited hardcore is to simply just get rid of the barret and replace it with more automatic weapons. Then get rid of the ruger for more automatic weapons and lastly get rid of the law for more automatic weapons and make sure that the minigun doesn't fire so fast because it is too easy to sail around the map with.

Barret < Machine Gun
Ruger < Machine Gun
m79 < Machine Gun
Deagles < Stronger Deagles
Minigun < Less Firerate by about 70%
Law < Ninja Rope

All of these subjects have been covered and I think that the barret has been bruised, beaten, and raped enough through the point of 1.1.5 Mid-Air Prone snipers until 1.3.1 when it is nothing more than an enormous schlong with which to attempt to get a shot off before the 1/80 bullet spam hits you and makes it completely inaccurate.

DmenX3
April 26, 2006, 2:22 pm
Do not fear! DmenX3 is here! I have made a remedy to the barret: Damage=600
FireInterval=60
Ammo=10
ReloadTime=330
Speed=800
BulletStyle=1
StartUpTime=4
Bink=-160
MovementAcc=18
This is all included in my mod which is modeled after the realism in Americas Army. Graphics and weapons physics all have been redone, and I will put a link to my sight where you can download it any time. The new mod makes it feel more trench war-ish. If you run out, a guy will pop a 3 round burst of M4 and kill you. A good honest head shot with an M4/M16/SPR/pretty much any weapon, will kill in one hit. It makes you play tactical.It gets the sprayers owned and the sneaky bush hiding soldiers to be the winners. I'm making a lvl called war head, and its gunna be a CTF and Team Death match. In it there will be 2 bases and a huge battlefield with tunnels, damaging barb wire, and other things. Then in the base there will be tons of scenery to hide behind. Then we'll get the M249 Sawwers to come in and sit behind the bunk beds. w00t! =D

David S7
April 26, 2006, 10:23 pm
I agree with l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r, I don't like either the barret with startup. I liked how it was, click 'n' shoot; not hold click, after 1 or 2 secs it shoots.

PixelNinja
May 5, 2006, 12:12 am
You can shoot someone 10 times in the head with an AK and they will live but you can shoot someone in the foot with a Barret and they fall apart.

If you ask me, all the guns need reformed. I think Barrets should be removed and be replaced with something useful.. that makes things go boom. Soldat is losing it's meaning. It should be a game of gore and blood and violance. Seeing someone use a barret is really rare since the last update because it isn't fun to use. It used to be fun to screw around and blow peoples head off, now it's been made boring because of the whiney little noobs who piss and moan about it because "IT DONT TAKE SKILL" Boohoo.. But I don't see why it shouldn't just be completely removed since obviously all everyone does is complain about it.

Well, not now since it's been gimped to death (made useless and not fun) it made all the [CENSORED]s happy.

This game should be about fun not skill.

The Geologist
May 5, 2006, 12:21 am
It doesn't take skill to use the barret. I just got out of a game where half of a team was using the barret. Quite your whinin', really. Game not fun? Don't let the door hit ya on the ass on the way out.

This game is reaching its final stages...adding a new gun now is pretty much out of the question So...no.

PixelNinja
May 5, 2006, 12:54 am
This is a 2d game, if you want a game that takes skill play CSS. But really, what's the difference from taking the barret out and adding something people USE rather than keep updating and gimping a gun everyone complains about?

I'm just sick of noobs who complain about guns, there will always be a n00b weapon. Now it seems like every server I go in some [CENSORED] is complaining about the m79. It's never going to stop no matter how many guns you guys make suck.

Thanks for sucking the fun out of a game that's supose to be about blood and gore and non-sence.

The Geologist
May 5, 2006, 1:01 am
Maybe you're not understanding me. This game is nearing its completion. That means there aren't going to be continuous updates that "gimp" the weapon. And for someone who is so sick of "noobs" complaining about guns, you seem to be doing a lot of it.

Edit: There's an open discussion for weapons balance, there's a WM test server for this kind of issue...had any input in there?

PixelNinja
May 5, 2006, 1:15 am
How am I complaining about guns? I'm complaining about noobs complaining about guns, and I know how to resolve it. By taking out the guns people complain about. Common sence. I really don't care that the barret is 1 shot 1 kill, because I know I can respawn and have another chance to kill him, but now I never see people using the barret anymore, once in a GREAT while. And the people I do see using them who are good are still called noobs, so remove the weapon and get on with life. Put in something that's FUN instead of gimping an otherwise fun weapon to the point of no return. Just a sugjestion.

So what if the game is nearing it's completion, big whoop if the game isn't fun anymore because of [CENSORED]s who whine and moan when they get killed. This game is going to turn into a game where all the weapons suck ass because there will ALWAYS be a weapon that's better than the other ones and that's the gun new people will use until they get bored with it.

pepper
May 9, 2006, 10:21 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by PixelNinjaHow am I complaining about guns? I'm complaining about noobs complaining about guns, and I know how to resolve it. By taking out the guns people complain about. Common sence. I really don't care that the barret is 1 shot 1 kill, because I know I can respawn and have another chance to kill him, but now I never see people using the barret anymore, once in a GREAT while. And the people I do see using them who are good are still called noobs, so remove the weapon and get on with life. Put in something that's FUN instead of gimping an otherwise fun weapon to the point of no return. Just a sugjestion.

So what if the game is nearing it's completion, big whoop if the game isn't fun anymore because of [CENSORED]s who whine and moan when they get killed. This game is going to turn into a game where all the weapons suck ass because there will ALWAYS be a weapon that's better than the other ones and that's the gun new people will use until they get bored with it.

Hear hear! I think the Berret is a great gun, and it has been totally crippled with 1.3.1. I say that ppl should STFU and play, or quit the game and go milk a [CENSORED]ing cow!

l33t lamZz0r c4mp3r
May 18, 2006, 1:07 am
Hey people... im gna start a poll on whether the barret should be edited (no start up time) or leave it as it is! VOTE FOR CHANGE IT!!! START UP TIME REALLY SLOWS ME DOWN!

livingdalife
May 18, 2006, 10:55 am
Its not the Barret that needs playing around, its the M79...Quit [CENSORED]ing about the good weapons. what peeves me, is when I set up a shot with my ruger/barret/law I hardly have any chance to shoot, when suddenly sum major (or other fukwit) come's in and blows me into a thousand pieces. M79 Needs startup time, and barret is fine the way it is..

Deleted User
May 18, 2006, 2:46 pm
Oh yea, I am not in favour of this; and I use barret as my primary.

Also, polls are broken.

TACKLEbeast666
May 19, 2006, 6:53 am
if you want it realistic here it is:

miniguns should have the power to bring down airplanes....i'd think one bullet no no, let's say 3 bullets can easily kill an average soldier?

mortal_soldier
May 20, 2006, 8:08 pm
lol, if this game was totally realistic the deagles would as powerfull as the barret (deagles are 50 cal)...and minigun would deffinetly be pwnage weapon...

i really cant think of any reason to make barret less noobish..maybe we should get rid of it and replace it with thompson (that gun would pwn)...

but m79 would be better if the amount of ammo would be same as the amount of grenades you are carrying..(as m79 is grenade launcher)..this would reduce m79 pwnage in ctf...but lets face it...woteva is changed..someone WILL always complain...

Deleted User
May 20, 2006, 9:07 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by mortal_soldierdeagles would as powerfull as the barret (deagles are 50 cal)

Well it does also depend on the muzzle velocity and bullet type (hollow point, incendiary etc).

If I carry on like this, I might as well join the firearm-fact-correction-nazis on the Raven Shield forums XD