( search forums )
Ctf_Kingdom and Ctf_Flaoting Castle (updated 3/18)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Pride
March 18, 2006, 7:38 pm
Hello. This is the first map I've realeased so I'd like constructive critisicsm.

[IMAGE]

Ctf_Kingdom

Ctf_Floating Castle aka Ctf_Kingdom_2
[IMAGE]

Ctf_Floating Castle

Eagles_Arrows
March 18, 2006, 8:09 pm
Seems we're getting alot of "first maps" lately.

Pros:
> Good shading.
> Good wall background.

Cons:
> Underground passage is too narrow. Easy snipage.
> What's that diagonal beam of light in the second structure from the left supposed to be?
> Weird "roof" textures.

OutofOrder
March 18, 2006, 8:19 pm
Even tho looks don't seem to be atractive, i feel like trying this out. Wait for my post edit ;)

Edit indeed: Allright, building structures have no shading at all, that's something you should fix. Being those windows only light sources, and being those background walls so dark, you should try some dark shades as well.
I really like the non-colliding polygon stairsteps... quite a cunning resource.
About gameplay.... the map's unbalanced for alphas. It's too easy to fly from blue base to red base. While you need m79 boosting to get the blue flag quickly. Did you consider game balance when facing the mapping process?
Keep it up.

Pride
March 18, 2006, 9:21 pm
Alrighty, I'm working on fixing the problems with the map. It's already looking better. I'll put In game screen with v2.

Zero72
March 18, 2006, 9:38 pm
Could we get some in-game screenshots?

Raptor
March 18, 2006, 10:36 pm
Hey man, nice map! Good gameplay and stuff

Zero, if you want in game screen shots, download the map and play in it!

Deleted User
March 18, 2006, 10:41 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Raptor
Zero, if you want in game screen shots, download the map and play in it!

well said!!:D

the map looks nice. try some other colors. that would make it better.

Deleted User
March 18, 2006, 10:48 pm
also, the shading, you got that sun there and the blue base there, but somehow the light is getting past the blue base. IMO be careful with your shading

Soulsnipa
March 19, 2006, 3:03 am
I think the map looks pretty good. Actually, really good for first maps. I suggest shading all of the polygons and not making all three vertices of one polygon completely black

Deleted User
March 19, 2006, 3:11 am
your new map floating castle is, IMO much better than ctf_kingdom, although shading could be touched up abit, its definatly an improvement

Pride
March 19, 2006, 3:33 am
Thanks, I wanted to add more, but I already had 500/500 sceneries. Is it possible to add more?

DeMonIc
March 19, 2006, 10:56 am
Hmm, if you use polyworks, you could scale the structure's background scenery to 200% width and height, that way you'd sprare space. With the right choice of colours, it also looks better. The texture is pretty pale, you could try something out of a custom texture pack, like potato2 or rustedmetal.

For the balance, I recommend you either make your maps simmetrical, or place the bases on an equal level, and only variate the middle of the battlefield, so no team gains the advantage of height.