( search forums )
M79 Reload Time
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Weapon Balance Discussion
Deleted User
March 19, 2006, 10:58 pm
I played the 1.1b(I think) beta a little while ago with some people (s4r, seancapsyourass, aji etc) and I thought it was, overall, pretty good. Nothing seemed overpowered (at least blatantly so). One thing I did notice though, is that while I'm glad that the M79 reload time was increased, it felt a bit too long. I admit, the games we played were fairly small (2vs2 to 3vs3), so I don't know how it would fare in larger games, but for what I played, it felt just a bit too long. Perhaps a 3.5-3.7 second reload would be more appropriate.

Any other opinions on this (for those that have played the beta)?

DeMonIc
March 20, 2006, 5:28 pm
In 1.1b M79 reload is 3 seconds, and it has 0.3 second delay. You sure you played the latest?

Deleted User
March 20, 2006, 5:58 pm
1.1b is perfectly balanced IMO

Deleted User
March 20, 2006, 9:25 pm
I'm not entirely sure which beta it was. M79 had 4 second reload, I know.

Deleted User
March 24, 2006, 2:20 am
 Quote: In 1.1b M79 reload is 3 seconds, and it has 0.3 second delay. You sure you played the latest?

Meh... not listening to the public once more. 4 second reload is BETTER than a .3 second delay. Im not really going to argue about this 500000 times, but I seriously think you should listen to what others have to say, and its clear alot of people believe a delay to m79 is the worst way to go. Its also clear most clans/league communities such as sctfl and TNL believe this way.

DeMonIc
March 24, 2006, 1:45 pm
Poop, I played a cw with lenghtened reload M79. It sucked.. the slowness really kills you, since you can't react to ambushes, and will barely make it out of the base alive during a raid ( which will occur quite often after the first rush ) that's why we're trying delay. No complaints as of yet.

Yukwunhang
March 24, 2006, 2:27 pm
I won't pick M79 when my base is being rushed. You are suppose to shoot ASAP, but M79 does the opposite.

kagze
April 10, 2006, 10:00 am
I think the M79 should be removed from the game..
Theres to many kills with it..

my opinion

jimmy7512
April 11, 2006, 4:23 pm
The M79 is great in deathmatches why would you want it removed ?

rabidhamster
April 11, 2006, 7:13 pm
(Excuse the caps)

THE M79 ISN'T GOING TO BE REMOVED. MICHAL SAID HE'D NEVER REMOVE A WEAPON.

bond_james_bond
April 13, 2006, 9:44 pm
Add one second of reload time and one second of chargeup/startup time and it will work out fine

Deleted User
April 13, 2006, 9:49 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by rabidhamster(Excuse the caps)

what a relief..

Deleted User
April 13, 2006, 10:08 pm
do what the hell u like with the m79 I banned it from my server (and the barret)
but it dont need less reload time for sure.

Sowaka
April 13, 2006, 10:11 pm
I think a delay along with the current reload time would be great. The delay gives the opponent a chance at dodging while shooting at you before you fire the weapon. Most complaints that I hear are just beased on the fact that you can fire the weapon immediatly and kill the opponent before they get two shots out of their auto-gun. o.O

halo2smoker
May 6, 2006, 1:48 pm
m79 needs to be toned down a LOT!
it needs to have a 2 hit kill, so other players have a chance. keep the reload. if you lower the damage, it becomes a less noob friendly weapon. The m79 is the MOST noob friendly weapon in the game. IT IS A AUTOMATIC ONE SHOT kill..but i know, your saying...what about the barret? well the bink, and the delay and reload time on the barret cripples it. so you cant use it in deathmatch or teammatch, and if you do, you get killed as soon as you spawn because you can't shoot.

3rd_account
May 10, 2006, 12:00 pm
Oeh, in order to keep some variety in the game, this 1-hit killer should remain chargeupless. They say 3 seconds is too short, 4 seconds too long... Hello! 3.5 seconds, anyone?

CardBoardWarrior
May 11, 2006, 2:07 am
 Quote:

^^^
Learn to defeat those with a weapon, don't just go complain about how it is overpowered and needs to be removed, etc. because it isn't going to happen.
 Quote:it needs to have a 2 hit kill,
Two hit kill? Are you serious? Anyone who would use that along with the reload times and delay is looking for a death wish. By the way, when do you think the last time was that someone was hit in real life by a grenade laucher and kept fighting?

shoover
May 13, 2006, 5:28 am
Yea thankx card. M79 would take so long to shoot at somebody that you will not be able to not only have time to reload but have time to think about the rate of the shot via gravity to shoot at it. So leave the m79 alone.

m00`
May 13, 2006, 5:43 am
 Quote:Originally posted by CardBoardWarrior Quote:
[quote]it needs to have a 2 hit kill,
By the way, when do you think the last time was that someone was hit in real life by a grenade laucher and kept fighting?

the bad guy in terminator 2!

TACKLEbeast666
May 20, 2006, 3:54 am
 Quote:
Two hit kill? Are you serious? Anyone who would use that along with the reload times and delay is looking for a death wish. By the way, when do you think the last time was that someone was hit in real life by a grenade laucher and kept fighting?

When do you think the last time a guy in real life got hit by a anti-aircraft minigun bullet or even 5, and still kept fighting? When's the last time in real life modern barretts shoot 1 shot every 3 seconds when it's semi-automatic?.....realistic-ish sense is sacrificed for the sake of the balance.

but anyway, the only thing i think they should do is the delay, and i'll give you my reasons. it is true that most people complain about the m79 for the fact that in close range confrontation, m79 can take you out instantly; even if he has no skills whatsoever, and reacted slower than you.

the fact of the matter is, that m79 is weak enough at long distance, slow bullet time made the weapon impossible to hit anything not standing still at long distance, but i don't think they should make the weapon too powerful at close range to balance its failure.

bgretydews
May 20, 2006, 10:19 am
All explosion type weapons kill in 1 hit anyway, even if you get it to 1 Damage still kills for a direct hit

TACKLEbeast666
May 21, 2006, 12:28 am
yea, make a delay and everything's ok, that'll give other players time to dodge back or kill m79s with deagle or something.

Bounty Hunter Guy
May 21, 2006, 2:41 am
 Quote:Two hit kill? Are you serious? Anyone who would use that along with the reload times and delay is looking for a death wish. By the way, when do you think the last time was that someone was hit in real life by a grenade laucher and kept fighting?

"Are you serious?" Put the one hit kill in realistic mode. Put the 2 hit kill in the other modes.

TACKLEbeast666
May 21, 2006, 2:49 am
ok....so it's like single rounded ruger with less range, more bink, slower bullet traveling time, longer reload.....

yep, that sounds fair to me :)

Deleted User
May 21, 2006, 4:02 am
^^He's right, a two hit kill m79 would destroy the need for it altogether. Plus, it's a grenade launcher. Do you really think a two hit kill grenade laucher would make that much sense? What about splash damage?

However, i don't like the idea of a delay. I think a longer reload time would do the trick; 3.5 seconds sounds good.

wolfbr
May 22, 2006, 9:16 pm
very sux,aff, to each version of the game gets worse the weapons, would not be better to add new weapons?

Seph
May 22, 2006, 10:29 pm
The m79 of soldat 1.3.1 its perfect, nothing to modify

k0r0n
May 22, 2006, 11:33 pm
OMG, "so other players have a chance" .. funny ? Each version I get more disapointed whit this game, and each version I think more in seariously stop playing, just nerds that just play ctf doing everything to "others players have a chance..."
I dont know if that is relevant, but im the admin of www.soldat.com.br (forum.soldat.com.br) , and i can say that A LOT of brazilians players disagree whith that.

Tomorrow, will be dalay for the nades , or maybe for the jump ^^

Megadeth
May 23, 2006, 12:29 am
m79 +: 1 hit kill, rocket jump, fast response
m79 -: keep some distance and you will never get a hit
isn't that balanced enough?
it is a short range weapon, if u want to kill a m79 pro easily u should get a long range weapon like barret or ak74.
can´t do that? so the weapon is not the problem
the problem is YOU!

Hex
May 23, 2006, 12:49 am
Totally disagree with modifying m79. Why hell change something that is already balanced?
If you try to play with this new m79 in a TM, DM, PM, RM game, not just in the CTF you will see that you are not giving chance to everybody, just giving chance to mp5er players kill easier in CTF.
I must be wrong(I hope that), but I think that it's not fair to make a weapons.ini just thinking on 3x3 CTF games. There are 6 gamemodes in Soldat and they must have the proper attention(believe, there's not CTF only).

Deleted User
May 23, 2006, 2:38 am
 Quote:Originally posted by k0r0nOMG, "so other players have a chance" .. funny ? Each version I get more disapointed whit this game, and each version I think more in seariously stop playing, just nerds that just play ctf doing everything to "others players have a chance..."
I dont know if that is relevant, but im the admin of www.soldat.com.br (forum.soldat.com.br) , and i can say that A LOT of brazilians players disagree whith that.

Tomorrow, will be dalay for the nades , or maybe for the jump ^^ Quote:Originally posted by Megadethm79 +: 1 hit kill, rocket jump, fast response
m79 -: keep some distance and you will never get a hit
isn't that balanced enough?
it is a short range weapon, if u want to kill a m79 pro easily u should get a long range weapon like barret or ak74.
can´t do that? so the weapon is not the problem
the problem is YOU! Quote:Originally posted by HexTotally disagree with modifying m79. Why hell change something that is already balanced?
If you try to play with this new m79 in a TM, DM, PM, RM game, not just in the CTF you will see that you are not giving chance to everybody, just giving chance to mp5er players kill easier in CTF.
I must be wrong(I hope that), but I think that it's not fair to make a weapons.ini just thinking on 3x3 CTF games. There are 6 gamemodes in Soldat and they must have the proper attention(believe, there's not CTF only).
I Agree!

TACKLEbeast666
May 23, 2006, 3:43 am
yea, i believe most players who get really pissed off by the weapon is because when this gun kills them it's so sudden and unexpected they couldn't have responded, and they feel annoyed and helpless in those situations.

because in most cases, even in small close range maps, the m79s doesn't really get that much more kills than other weapons.

Sano
May 23, 2006, 4:30 pm
m79 is perfectly balanced, "give other players have a chance", your chance is the weakness of m79: IT'S A CLOSE COMBAT WEAPON!
don't get close, don't get killed, here is your chance!
If you put a delay you will f*** the weapon, because it wouldn't be even close combat weapon, would be "lucky combat weapon" or "camper combat weapon", barret has delay, but barret is long range, put delay to m79 is like put delay to knife throwing.

Wilk
May 23, 2006, 6:44 pm
Yeah...

It is better remove one shot guns, and substituite them by autos... Who use barret/law in ctf? And autos? Now it is time of m79... It was good while it lasted =/

What will be the next gun? Make you bet...LOL =p

I thought that games could estimulate our reflexes. But soldat no... just appoint you mouse ahead and hold the fire button \o//////

And why this delay? In this topic: http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?topic_id=32047 40% of voters wants delay, but 60% DONTTTTTTT want O.o

Clash
May 23, 2006, 9:20 pm
I like the new m79. I think Desert Eagles was already horrible and it got worsers, you guys should return the fireinterval to 22 and raise a bit the damage to something like 190.
It was above 205 on the 1.1.5, when it was overpowered, now it's 176, which is kinda of crap...

Clash
May 23, 2006, 11:19 pm
And the mp5 needs balancing, it's overpowered.

TACKLEbeast666
May 24, 2006, 2:09 am
nothing needs balancing.
i can use deasert eagles effectively and get the top score sometimes, so therefore it DOESN'T SUCK.
and mp5 sucks at long range, and because it doesn't has the ability of a m79 at close range(aka, 1 hit kill at close range, instant death, no respond time for enemy), it really is not overpowered.

Spikee
May 24, 2006, 7:48 pm
put a delay in 79 is screw an atk weapon and make m79er an target for autos....

Deleted User
May 24, 2006, 7:52 pm
..No.

To be honest, i think the weapon balance in 1.3.1 is about as good as we're ever going to get.

wolfbr
May 24, 2006, 9:45 pm
soldat need "more" weapon,of noob not wanting to only ruin the existing weapons because it does not obtain to kill

Yuth
May 31, 2006, 1:45 am
My opinion would be to just make the M79 more advanced.
Or toss it out in exchange of a similar weapon, but with Charge Up Time.

What I mean by Charge Up Time is like if you hold the button it will - By time gain speed for longer ranged attacks.

Mr. Domino
June 1, 2006, 10:07 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SephThe m79 of soldat 1.3.1 its perfect, nothing to modify

I agree. The increased self damage was a good improvement, but that's it. Any further changes would ruin the usefulness of the weapon. As it is you still don't have a guaranteed kill, splash damage means you'll kill yourself in crowded areas even surrounded by teammates, and the reload time is long enough where a smart player could easily take out a M79 user with any distance shot.

Does anyone really complain about the M79 in Death Match? I find all the whining takes place in CTF, and it's because people stink too much to adapt to the weapon, choosing to blindly charge into its range instead of thinking first before shooting.

T-Bone
June 7, 2006, 6:37 am
 Quote:Originally posted by TACKLEbeast666hey actually, this is from the other post, and i think the idea is pretty good.

how about make m79 with a delay, but less reload, less bink, so it's good for long range too? therefore it's not so unfair for m79ers.

Good players (as been stated before) can adjust to delay easily within a day. Similar cases happened with the barrett. So now essentially the m79 is improving a great deal with your suggestion but gains a setback that can be mastered in a good 2 hours of play. The M79 is good how it is, people just need to learn to counter it.

vash763
June 7, 2006, 7:06 am
So what. The number of people that are good is a minority to the number of people that are bad. Therefore, it will drop the use of the weapon. Leaving it hugely divided.

People who can use it, and piss you off cause they are super good with it.

And People who can't use it, and get pissed cause they suck with it.

Just like the Ruger.

jettlarue
June 7, 2006, 7:54 am
i think no matter what we do to weapons, someone will [CENSORED] about them. if we make m79 delay, then shotgun will be next for delay. i think it is just fine. and if you cant see a m79 NOOB waiting for u to get close. just shoot him and u have ur half second to move out of the grenades way. if you cant do that its your fault you suck. i can dodge almost all m79s except when i use up my jets and i have to reload and were in a straight line and we are both high off ground....otherwise, its same as any other weapon. and i think vash is right in his post. i think i am fairly good with m79, but i rarely kill anyone closer than 10 meters to me, unless im in enclosed space. and for the dumb 2 hit idea, that already happens because of lag :) all the best

Mr. Domino
June 7, 2006, 8:29 am
zomg ryu is so cheep nly lamerz use dragon punch it need 12 second delay rawr!!!!1111