( search forums )
Human shield
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
nidpants
March 24, 2006, 11:33 am
As mentioned in the "grabbing and hitting" thread, i had this idea, then someone else suggested it. Being able to grab a fresh corpse and use it as a human shield would be incredibly cool and cinematic. Of course it'd fall apart after a small amount of fire like they normally do, but while you're carrying it around, you're a lot heavier, can't move or jet as fast, and of course it only protects you from the front (and not your head). To pick up a corpse, crouch on top of it, to let go, crouch again.

Using a living person as a human shield would be pointless since anybody you'd be using you'd try to kill anyway, right? I guess you could sneak up behind someone, hit D to grab them, and put a bullet in their head (or twist/slit their neck).

Deleted User
March 24, 2006, 6:48 pm
sneaking up on someone? are you in the right forum? only way to do that is if they are AFK :P
and I dont think 2x extra weight would be worth protection from only a couple of shots

Deleted User
March 24, 2006, 7:59 pm
Yeh, but Psycho, when you play against noobies, they are slow reactors since all they do is walk on the ground. While ME = Flies across the screen like 3x the speed lol. I can probably catch one.

Btw, croutching behind someone can buy time to possible reload/make the other person waste bullets.

Eagles_Arrows
March 24, 2006, 8:04 pm
Yeah but most of the time, there isn't a fresh corpse anywhere. People would just shoot at the body even though it's dead... Unless some generous dudes spare your corpse from being ripped apart...

bja888
March 24, 2006, 8:16 pm
To prevent respawn issues, you shouldn't be able to carry a dead body.

Conditions....
1) you are facing them
2) they are not facing you
3) your gun must be idle (not shooting or reloading)
4) the person your grabbing must be alive

When you have someone....
1) Boost is very weak
2) movement is slow
3) you can only fire at a slower rate (like when you duck behind a collider)
4) knife, saw and punch kills hostage
5) when you prone, you hide under the hostage

Hostage is reliced when...
1) he dies
2) you kill him
3) he presses the duck button at the rate of 4 times per second for 2 seconds

nidpants
March 25, 2006, 12:15 am
By sneaking up on someone, you would only be able to actually accomplish this in Realistic games.

As for the use of it, it would give you an edge in an even firefight, like a mini-bulletproof vest. The respawn issue is something i considered, but i think either if the body just falls apart when the respawn happens, or if the body sticks around until it can no longer be used as a shield (as a different object, so the player may respawn) it could work.

The physics would be very easy to calculate - you just have twice as much inertia for jumping, running, boosting etc.

Agreed with bja about the collider-like rate and accuracy of fire, but proning under a live hostage is a bit silly. I do like the idea that he can remain alive, and can free himself eventually.

a-4-year-old
March 25, 2006, 3:01 am
 Quote:Originally posted by DrivenUnderYeh, but Psycho, when you play against noobies, they are slow reactors since all they do is walk on the ground. While ME = Flies across the screen like 3x the speed lol. I can probably catch one.

yeeee haaawww! ROUND EM UP BOYS!

i would love to see a noob like "WTF LEMMY GO!"

this is the first topic of its kind that i would aprove as long as you cannot shoot from behind them cuz common, free shield AND you can shoot? that would be too much like a free-moving colider.

Deleted User
March 25, 2006, 8:03 am
Ok i love the idea but if its opinion!

UGK
March 25, 2006, 9:28 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Psychosneaking up on someone? are you in the right forum? only way to do that is if they are AFK :P
and I dont think 2x extra weight would be worth protection from only a couple of shots

Or if your playing R/S

dr.ON
March 25, 2006, 12:48 pm
only in r/s while body is dead.
Cuz it isnt funny to be a shield while u r alive.

Mini G Master
March 30, 2006, 2:37 am
Well it is kind of a war..(in DMs anyway)

(EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF *hint hint*)

How about if the victim has a knife,he could use it to counter the grabber,killing him instead.Lucky Barretards.

Quote:Originally posted by nidpantsTo pick up a corpse, crouch on top of it, to let go, crouch again.

That'd be annoyin.Cuz' if i happen to crouch on some dead unlucky guy and i accidentally picked him up while trying to run away,I'll be dead before the killer can even say "PWN3D!", because i got slower with the corpse.