( search forums )
First Map: Asteroids! (criticize plz)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Frenris
March 26, 2006, 4:21 am
Yeah, I just semi-finished my first map. Well it is practically finished, but I do plan on integrating any feedback people have thus the inclusion of the prefix "semi" and the posting of the topic in this forum as opposed to the other one.

The map takes place in an asteroid field, and the gameplay is probably closest to "blox"; here is the description I left at Soldatpage:

Quote:
The map is fast paced and original. Set in an asteroid field players have enough jet fuel until the realize they missed the jump, and hurtle to their death below.

This is my first map. The aesthetics and quality of the shading are passable, though the gameplay is excellent.

The map is unwaypointed as it would be nearly impossible to waypoint it with the layout it has.

Dowload the map, good-luck, have fun, and gib some campers for me.

And oh, critique is wanted.

The map has custom scenery and textures and I think it is pretty good (definitely so for a first shot).

The map and a screenshot are uploaded at Soldat page here:

[URL]

So please go and dowload it and check it out! (and then come back here and tell my you think it rules/sucks.)

Deleted User
March 26, 2006, 6:07 am
its alright, more shading could be utilized, the sun doesnt go away in space, and scenery could be better, you've done a good job with poly placement though (rounding, no sharp edges)

Frenris
March 26, 2006, 5:29 pm
What sun?

EDIT: [EDIT: Bug solved]

Keron Cyst
March 26, 2006, 5:35 pm
I think that's what he means; you're missing a sun (although that's quite a narrow-minded statement, since the map could be in a place far away from any stars).

It's all right; better than most. It kinda lacks shading although the texture somewhat limits shading possibilities. The terrain is good but I personally think there are too many small asteroids and not enough larger ones. Still, not bad at all for your first map. :-)

EDIT Quote:Originally posted by Frenris
... The red outlines indicate areas of "no go" where entrance means immediate respawning, as if you had fallen off the edge of the map (but had NOT died). Any idea why this bug is occuring/ what I need to do to fix it?
Recompile. It happens.

numgun
March 30, 2006, 6:39 am
finally something futuristic themed... looks good to me : )

Echo_Trail
March 30, 2006, 2:10 pm
yeah, it looks great. It's just a little boring though. Maybe you could add a few more details?

Frenris
March 31, 2006, 10:46 pm
There are two stationary guns (strategically placed to allow people to kill them if they are really trying, but to still have a large fire arc)

And thanks a lot for the advice Keron it worked :D. I actually had tried recompiling before but I forgot to save it. (Grr why does MM have to have different compile and save buttons! [and yes I do use polyworks as well as MM so no need to recommend it]).

The sun sounds like a good idea, I think I'll end up putting one in, not a huge one, but one faint and distant (still a sun though).

Echo what exactly do you mean by more details?

shoover
April 9, 2006, 2:54 am
That is a very small map, and im sry but it was exactly like i was expecting it to be. and u know how i like suprises ^_^

The To armory sign, i dont think thats needed, it doesnt seem real for sum1 to go to an asteroid and put it there.

Make the stars a little bit more realistic, either the screenshot is stretched or the stars look real tall.

8/10 overall, if u follow most of wat i said its perfection