( search forums )
Barret Animation
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
TopGunSF
March 26, 2006, 5:20 am
Realistically, when you pull the trigger on a gun it fires immediatly. From what I have heard, it is for balancing reasons that the pre shot lag time has been added to the barret which is all well and good but it looks kind of funny with the soldier just sitting there after you click fire.

THE IDEA:
Add a small animation to the barret fire sequence which would show the soldier (character) bringing the scope of the barret up to his eye. Once it gets there (or maybe a tiny bit of time later, after all, the dude actually has to get a look at what is through the scope) it would fire. This wouldn't really change anything about the game but it would explain the lag time on the barret and it would also look really good. (I love little details like that, of which is game has so many.) :)

Sorry if this has already been suggested, I did look but I may have missed something. (Like one of the 10 or so pages on the search I didn't check...)

papasurf31
March 26, 2006, 12:43 pm
Hrmm, that's actually not a bad idea. And, when the soldier is moving, he wouldn't do that animation to explain why the shot is innaccurate.

Deleted User
March 26, 2006, 12:48 pm
I agree with papasurf its great idea!

livingdalife
March 26, 2006, 1:40 pm
Agreed...

a-4-year-old
March 26, 2006, 2:24 pm
wow, this idea is great

make vice do something that looks like it :P

Keron Cyst
March 26, 2006, 5:30 pm
That is genius. Full support.

TopGunSF
March 26, 2006, 5:35 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by papasurf31Hrmm, that's actually not a bad idea. And, when the soldier is moving, he wouldn't do that animation to explain why the shot is innaccurate.

That would be a good addition. If you were to implement that however, I would suggest making the sniper itself innacurate (not just the player) when moving/standing but taking out the pre shot lag. It would still make targets hard to hit and it would make a bit more sense (again, the lag time just looks funny if the soldier is just waiting for the shot to go off).

Glad you all like the idea. :)

Arbalest
March 26, 2006, 8:55 pm
THE ANIMATION IS ALREADY THERE! Yes it is! When you go zoom with the scope you can see that animation. The soldier brings the scope to his eye whenever you decide to zoom ahead. But i'm not at all against the idea of showing that same animation when you fire. I believe this would also shorten the delay sightly so I support the idea all the way!

bond_james_bond
March 26, 2006, 10:08 pm
the delay is not shortened - basically you have the same delay time, but to make things more interesting, you add an animation.

This is the best idea ive ever seen in these forums - the same should be applied to the law and knife

bl00dy_n0se
March 26, 2006, 10:28 pm
Yeah I like those ideas, those small details make a game very cool 8-)
Hmm i think the Soldier could raise his arm in the air, than throw the knife. But it would look bad if you just push the button without holding it down, the movement would be very fast^^

TopGunSF
March 26, 2006, 11:02 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bl00dy_n0seYeah I like those ideas, those small details make a game very cool 8-)
Hmm i think the Soldier could raise his arm in the air, than throw the knife. But it would look bad if you just push the button without holding it down, the movement would be very fast^^

Maybe the longer you hold the button, the higher he raises his arm. The higher his arm is, the more damage the knife does (would also fly farther and faster the longer the button is held).

Deleted User
March 27, 2006, 1:38 am
i personally think the delay shouldnt be there...but i ..ehh...sorta like it because of realism..
The effect in real life where you exhale and squeeze the trigger and all that jaz (i think its also like this in the game Sniper Elite (empty lung effect).
But hey, since when is soldat all about realism...

Keron Cyst
March 27, 2006, 4:44 am
@Arbalest: it would not shorten the delay time in any way. Animations and weapon stats. are independent of each other.

EmperorofChoas
March 27, 2006, 5:03 am
 Quote:Originally posted by bond_james_bond - the same should be applied to the law and knife

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK SOME 1 METIONED ABOUT HE KNIFR ALREADY I LIKE THAT IDEA....

BUT THE LAW I THINK IT WOULD LOOK BEST WHEN READY TO BE FIRED OBVIOUSLY

BUT THE SOLDAT SHOULD BRING THE LAW UP TO HIS SHOULDER TO FIRE SEEIN SINCE IT'S A ROCKET LAUNCHER AND ALL....

JUST THOUGHT CUZ IT LOOKS LAME....A MAN FIRIN A LAW FROM HIS CHEST OR FROM HIS WAIST |LOL|

dr.ON
March 27, 2006, 7:03 pm
Good idea.

a-4-year-old
March 27, 2006, 10:16 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by EmperorofChoas Quote:Originally posted by bond_james_bond - the same should be applied to the law and knife

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK SOME 1 METIONED ABOUT HE KNIFR ALREADY I LIKE THAT IDEA....

BUT THE LAW I THINK IT WOULD LOOK BEST WHEN READY TO BE FIRED OBVIOUSLY

BUT THE SOLDAT SHOULD BRING THE LAW UP TO HIS SHOULDER TO FIRE SEEIN SINCE IT'S A ROCKET LAUNCHER AND ALL....

JUST THOUGHT CUZ IT LOOKS LAME....A MAN FIRIN A LAW FROM HIS CHEST OR FROM HIS WAIST |LOL|

I THINK YOU SHOULD TAKE OFF CAPS LOCK!

now about the topic, what would you have for the knife? it can be released at any time so any kind of animation would be kind of weird, no animation like that for grinade.

Arbalest
March 28, 2006, 12:58 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Keron Cyst@Arbalest: it would not shorten the delay time in any way. Animations and weapon stats. are independent of each other.

Oh i see, I thought that we're gonna modify the delay time so it paralles with the amount of time the animation takes. I think we can do that cause I mean I really wants it to fire immediately after the animation is done. But I guess it won't really show that much of a difference. So if we do it like that it might shorten the delay slightly. That's what I had in mind.