( search forums )
Help me make up my mind:
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
peemonkey
March 27, 2006, 5:39 am
I've got a birthday comming up and a hankering for a new leadslinger. I've got my desires down to 3 rifles, and I want you anime-loving freaks to help me decide:
Ruger 10/22:
+Easy to customize, ammo is cheap as hell, price $275.00 USD
-I'm not the biggest fan of the smallest calibers.

Swiss K31:
+Straight-pull bolt=fun, i love WWII infantry rifles, and i have a sick 3 foot bayonet for it. Price is (Big5 sells ALOT of surplus K31's) about $90.00 USD
-I'd have to start making my own bullets, ammo is harder to find than most

SKS:
+It's a god damn SKS. price is about $100.00 USD
- Have to make sure you don't buy a chinese or yugoslavian variant, they lack chrome.

So, which rifle do yall think I should get with my birthday uppence? It'll be my first rifle bought by others, and I want it to be something I'd have fun with. Can't get too particular about which one as of yet, they all appeal to me.

Ok
March 27, 2006, 10:37 am
Well I searched realy hard trying to find out what the hell is a leadslinger...
I can only assume you misspelled something that I also dont know about?

So you want a weapon for your birthday ey!
foorrrr the laannnddd of the free and the hooooooome of the braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave!

cheers for US laws.
^_^

Deleted User
March 27, 2006, 11:57 am
.....on the 31st i'm getting a scoped airrifle just to shoot something while i'm at my cottage, the thing looks cheap but it was only $60.....

EDIT: get the ruger 10/22, looks sexier

Captain Ben
March 27, 2006, 12:43 pm
Swiss K31, mainly because bolt action guns are damn stylish... Even though yuo might have to make your own bullets, go for it! I was helping my friend make them on saturday, although it's all up to you, because you might get impatient, etc. My friend also has four rifles, three of which are fitted with scopes and he also has some awesome bullet belts and a rifle from WWI.

Although I want to get an air rifle... $50 for 10,000 pellets and they don't require a licence. I could sit on my balcony and shoot soldier crabs :D Although I wouldn't want a scope... that's taking it a bit too far.

Rhombus
March 27, 2006, 2:58 pm
leadslinger = something that slings/throws/shoots lead
and since most ammunition is made out of lead....

Deleted User
March 27, 2006, 3:15 pm
i say Ruger.. easy and light and more fun to shoot. (my uncle has one)
you don't need anything heavy, cause i quess your not gonna kill someone. (if you do, then kill that [CENSORED] of a president)

peemonkey
March 27, 2006, 4:21 pm
I don't plan on killing anyone, i'm just a shooting kind of fella. I do prefer large calibers, but a 10/22 is the most economical, and that's good for a person with litte current income.
Ok, leadslinger = gun

damnnation
March 27, 2006, 5:16 pm
ruger10/22

peemonkey
March 27, 2006, 7:25 pm
3 for the ruger, 1 for the schmidt-ruben, and none for the SKS. If I only had a poll :)

mar77a
March 27, 2006, 7:44 pm
ruger, btw, what do you use weapons for?

Deleted User
March 27, 2006, 7:52 pm
skeetshooting, animal killing, target range or homefreeshooting? (open you roomwindow and shoot at random objects? my favorite:P)

Deleted User
March 27, 2006, 8:48 pm
i shoot at squirrels, and at frogs......ugh frogs that means you frogboy

Deleted User
March 27, 2006, 8:58 pm
i shoot a seagul through the head once. it was like a horror movie.

Ok
March 27, 2006, 11:10 pm
seriously I searched, nothing on the net on leadslingers
:(

n00bface
March 27, 2006, 11:26 pm
it's slang Ok, he's a hick!

Bullets are made of Lead, a gun is therefor a LeadSlinger. It's a word kind of like [CENSORED]Waffle. It's not really a standard insult, but more a combination insult? Maybe?

peemonkey
March 27, 2006, 11:32 pm
Recreational shooting, home protection. Well, I don't plan on using a WWII rifle as home protection, so mostly they're for recreation and getting my aim better. Might join amry or marines or something in a few years.

Ok
March 27, 2006, 11:36 pm
Oh god, you americans drive me nuts.
You don't have to join the army ! why, why on earth would someone do that when he has a proper life going on.
I can understand if you have no future as a civilian (no education, no aquired skills) but comon, so many american want to join the army because it sounds "cool and fun" that's a quote btw.
You don't strike me as someone who has no education and skills, don't be a fool, create a good future for yourself with something you KNOW you like.
Errrrrrr....

So, what's recreational shooting?

Soulsnipa
March 28, 2006, 12:00 am
ruger cuz its soldat. and if u die u can shoot at ur computer screen and blast glass all over the place and need to buy new monitor. but then if u went with sks u could say u had a gun no one else had but then there are weapon mods

Ruger

papasurf31
March 28, 2006, 12:58 am
Ruger, I think it looks pimp. That's right, pimp!

?
March 28, 2006, 1:06 am
 Quote:So, what's recreational shooting?
Going to a shooting range and blowing out some bullets, or going into a forrest and shooting stuff,its what I do every now and then, but now im out of bullets and to young to buy more :( or skeet shooting, basicly target practice for fun

peemonkey
March 28, 2006, 1:57 am
Skeet skeet skeet is hella fun, mossberg 500A makes it easy to kill them clays :)
Mostly i just target shoot these days, because the range i go to doesn't allow lead shot anymore because there's a small creek forming and the environmentalist are [CENSORED]ing, even though there;s 50 years of daily lead shot BLANKETING the field.

OK, I've only got a GED and currently have no job, but that has nothing to do with joining the military. Nor does "being cool". It's to serve my country, server a purpose, build character, gain experience to use in a later carrier in LE, to set myself and family up for life with good coverage, and to have personal pride, satisfaction and dignity. Yea.

Let's make some half-assed charts:

Ammo price, decending:
K31, 7.5x55 Swiss, $9.79 per 20 round brick
SKS, 7.62x39, $6.71 per 20 round brick
10/22, .22LR, $1.10 per 20 round brick(High Velocity)

Customability, decending:
10/22; barrels, stocks, scopes, muzzle brakes, trigger styles, magazines, speedloaders, bipods.
SKS; Stocks, bayonets, scopes.
K31; bayonet, scope($194.98 at Helm's)

Origionality, ascending:
SKS; I've never been to the range and not seen at least 5 of these on a rack or being fired
10/22; Not too common, but have seen some nice tricked-out 10/22's with massive 50 round illegal clips
K31; Only ever seen 1 out there, and they opnly had 10 rounds

Opinions of Sumpf, my father:
10/22; "They're fun and cheap as hell, I gotta get me one"
K31; "Feels like that mauser you had, I gotta get me one"
SKS; "What's with these damned russian guns? I gotta get me one"
.357; "Buy me one!"

Likelyhood of taking out to the range on a regular basis:
10/22; cheap as hell ammo
K31; i like to show off my WWII rifles
SKS; close 2nd, but the war in Iraq is taking up most of the russian surplus, and i'd likely stockpile it.

Okay, so the group is telling me to get the ruger, I'm thinking this may be my choice, .22's are fun, but will never stand up to me love for 180+ grain loads.

Deleted User
March 28, 2006, 2:50 am
He's right, if your enlisted, then there is no point. If you were to join some armed forces, i'd join the air force, less chance of getting shot.......

Captain Ben
March 28, 2006, 5:57 am
[CENSORED] what I said earlier, get the ruger!
Although, a bolt action .22 is fun in my books...

-VzX- Silverflame
March 28, 2006, 2:47 pm
ruger all the way!!!!!!!!

lithium
March 28, 2006, 8:20 pm
K31. Bolt action rifles are nice.

Rhombus
March 30, 2006, 11:07 am
 Quote:<br>It's to serve my country, server a purpose, build character, gain experience to use in a later carrier in LE, to set myself and family up for life with good coverage, and to have personal pride, satisfaction and dignity. Yea.

This is rediculous... You can't be proud of yourself without joining the army? And a character isn't built... it's born. If you have no character... there is no way you will get one later on. And serve a purpose? You'll just be some freaking pawn, used by some moron who never even knows his own speaches by heart... BUSH.

Oh... and someone sayd you'll probably not get shot on the air force... but modern wars are fought in the air... The marines don't really do anything...

m00`
March 30, 2006, 11:17 am
How come so many Americans have guns, someone in my class once brought a hand gun to school and he was like full on showing off about it and stuff, and he bought it for over $500 illegaly or somthing and he showed me it o.0 yah so anyway I dont really think George Bush should whine about terrorism when practically 70% of americans have guns

Rhombus
March 30, 2006, 3:11 pm
terrorism is about an act...
you can have a gun without doing anything illegal with it... but terrorism is a whole other league.

peemonkey
March 30, 2006, 5:59 pm
Rhombus, marines are the ones dying constantly, don't say they do nothing, that's [CENSORED]ed up and incorrect. This is about what kind of gun I should get, not poilitics.

Milkman Dan
March 30, 2006, 8:06 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by RhombusAnd a character isn't built... it's born. If you have no character... there is no way you will get one later on.

You aren't born with character, all that kinda crap depends on how you were raised.

lithium
March 30, 2006, 8:15 pm
Despite the fact that most people think that, I've known people who were raised to be pretty bad kids that found it in themselves to turn their lives around.

But like I said before, K31.

Deleted User
March 30, 2006, 10:13 pm
rhombus, when they invaded iraq of course the air force [CENSORED]ing bombed the hell outta the iraqi army, but peemonkey is correct and soldiers are dieing everyday......so invading is the easy part, occupying is the hard part. you are right though, most modern wars are fought by aircraft, unless its some poor country, fighting another one in africa.

oyah what rhombus said about you being a pawn, he is %100 correct

peemonkey
March 30, 2006, 10:34 pm
SHUT UP THE POLITICS! WRONG TOPIC! NO MORE DEBATE POLITICS!

Ok
March 30, 2006, 11:00 pm
You can't blame me this time!!!! pfft

Rhombus
March 31, 2006, 2:44 pm
sorry... I see there's another topic about this discussion. No arguments from me here anymore...

peemonkey
April 2, 2006, 1:53 am
Okays guys, here's an update:
Got home from another great "Code of the West" gunshow, and I purchased and SKS with skeletonized stock and custom-assed bayonet. It'll be delivered in 10 days due to the background check. So, now which should I get, a K31, a Ruger 10/22, or put money to a new pistol?
The kimber is gone by the way, she was getting ugly, and someone offered to buy it, and i'm meeting them in 2 days :D

a-4-year-old
April 2, 2006, 2:04 am
 Quote:Originally posted by dascooHe's right, if your enlisted, then there is no point. If you were to join some armed forces, i'd join the air force, less chance of getting shot.......

NATIONAL GUARD FTW!

Ima gonna git me a steelshooter! (ok has no idea what im talking about XD btw go for the ruger cause the name sounds cool.)

Deleted User
April 2, 2006, 5:29 am
YOU DIDNT BUY THE RUGER????!

peemonkey
April 2, 2006, 7:03 pm
Well this was with my own money, as my birthday isnt until the 26th. There happened to be a gunshow, and I happened to go. Turns out someone had a sick SKS, so I bought it right up for a low price.
Perhaps I will get a ruger...:D

Swarmer
April 2, 2006, 8:38 pm
Just becuase the Air Force does a lot of work doesn't mean they are at much danger. The only countries with thier own air force aren't going to really be in conflict with the US anytime soon. The Army is the group that suffers casulties.

The Army is pretty good training for discipline and physical fitness. And you can make money.

Get any gun that is bolt-action, they are too cool. Nothing is more satisfying then turning that bolt and having the shell fly out with a nice ka-chunk sound.

Deleted User
April 5, 2006, 2:19 am
1 word: boltactionriflesownalltheothers-anywaytheremyfavetoo-andtheww2onesespecially

:P

peemonkey
April 5, 2006, 4:24 am
Here's the thing about the K31: It's bolt action, but it's straightpull bolt action. I already have a nice Mosin and recently got rid of a K98, and this action is totally cool, yet different.
Instead of the bolthandle being on the side, you rotating the entire bolt, pulling it back then forward and down again, the K31's action is more fluid. The handle is more of an "O" hanging directly off the back of the receiver, which when pulled, rotates the bolt and expends the spent shell. When pushed forward, it pushes another bullet in and rotates it shut, all in one fluid motion.
Another reason I like the K31 so much is that I'm the rarely-seen lefty bolt-action shooter. It's easy to cycle even though the bolt type is made for right-handed shooters, but the one time I fired a K31, it felt just soo much easier and more natural.

So far alot of people say Ruger, and I might get one. They're cheap on the internet, and easily moddable.

Swarmer
April 6, 2006, 6:20 am
As long as the bolt still makes the meaty ka-chunk sound, it's good in my books.

LUNATIC COW
April 6, 2006, 12:48 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Rhombus Quote:<br>It's to serve my country, server a purpose, build character, gain experience to use in a later carrier in LE, to set myself and family up for life with good coverage, and to have personal pride, satisfaction and dignity. Yea.

This is rediculous... You can't be proud of yourself without joining the army? And a character isn't built... it's born. If you have no character... there is no way you will get one later on. And serve a purpose? You'll just be some freaking pawn, used by some moron who never even knows his own speaches by heart... BUSH.

Oh... and someone sayd you'll probably not get shot on the air force... but modern wars are fought in the air... The marines don't really do anything...

1. Character is definately built. I'm proof of that.
2. You're not a pawn, but you do follow the orders as they come down the CoC.
3. You don't join the military to try and not get shot. You join for the reason's he stated alreday.
4. Tell the 600 dead marines that they don't do anything. Tell the 1,300 + soldiers that they don't do anything. Even the navy lost like 50 and the Airforce about 22. Probably construction/weather battalions.

Either way, you're wrong. Completely wrong. You don't know what something's like until you've done it. You should be thanking him for defending (or wanting to) your right to think and say what you've just said.

Swarmer
April 6, 2006, 2:50 pm
I've never understood the difference between the Marines and the Army. Can someone enlighten me? Marines sounds more specialized or something.

LUNATIC COW
April 6, 2006, 4:11 pm
Marines make amphibious landings (and usually go in first to secure a beachhead), and hold it. The Army is responsible for all land actions.. this means they are the "primary force" on the ground, which is why they take the most casualties. After initial invasion, Marines and Soldiers usually have fairly similar missions: recon, combat, intel, etc. There are some differences: Soldiers (army) get the dogwork most of the time. The not too favorable jobs. Marines get ones that are more involved, such as difficult terrain (because they tend to be basically trianed better.)

Marines have cooler covers (hats). They have the 8 point as opposed to the Army's round cover. Marines are much more tight nit (because it's a smaller group) and they are more diciplined.

For individual development, the Marines is the place. Plus, the Marines haven't lowered their standards of acceptance, whereas the Army has. You're more likely to get a moron who will get you killed on your squad in the Army. Marines (contrary to popular belief) are smarter (when it comes to doing their job, not in other things.)

Plus the Marine Corps is considered a Sea service, so the Navy League does nice things for ya. If you don't get sea sick easily, the Marines is for you.

peemonkey
April 6, 2006, 5:07 pm
Guys, no more discussing military matters or politics or nothing, this is about small arms and which I should get for my birthday :P

Deleted User
April 6, 2006, 7:45 pm
I'd buy cookies instead.