( search forums )
? Soldat Apps Depot ?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Web Pages
Deleted User
March 28, 2006, 6:53 am
Just wondering, as I have another project quite similar.
If it would be alright to set up a site that hosts fan apps.
It happens to me quite often that alot of apps I want have broken download links.
Is this possible for me to do so, is it against copyright/do I need to ask permission or have to let the author host his own file.

Thoughts/comments welcome

DePhille
March 28, 2006, 3:34 pm
I'm trying to host applications on SoldatPage but it's not as easy as it seems.
The problem is that a fan app can contain virusses. It can be that the programmer meant to add a virus in it or that another virus on the programmers PC infected the file. It could also be some program that looks like a program that does what is said in the description but when you type a specific key combination it opens up a cheat menu.
Therefor I didn't write a whole automation script for fan apps, I receive them by mail , check them with three virus scanners and run the program and test it etc.

It's not needed to ask permission from the author to host the fan app. Because the chance that it's actually copyrighted is very small. And if it is copyrighted and the author does sue you he'll eventually lose years because of the trial (yes , it does take alot of time , and the chance such a small issue gets handled is very small too) and also alot of money.
BUT: Unless you want to make yourself extremely unpopular to tghe whole Soldat community you should not do this. Everyone's free to host my apps but they do need to mention that I made it and a link to my site or the forum topic , or something official I can easily change. If someone doesn't do that and he disregards my attempts to change the problems I can easily do something annoying to them. In short , just ask for the permission :)

Grtz , DePhille

FliesLikeABrick
March 28, 2006, 5:02 pm
You should not run into any issues with copyright, considering that they have been posted publicly and they say nothing about not wanting it mirrored.

The worst that could theoretically happen is that the author will contact you and ask you to remove the content, they pretty much have to do that before any theoretical legal action

Deleted User
March 28, 2006, 8:24 pm
Thx for the replies.
When I get back on my other comp I'll finsih the Soldat Apps Depot off.
Plus I was thinking of not having any automatic process (too risky), instead going round to the different topics and pming the authors of the apps for permission. Then doing as you do DePhille, checking it with anti-virus' and testing it myself