( search forums )
ctf_am v1.1- redid part of the top route and stuff
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
rabidhamster
April 1, 2006, 3:04 am
i spent a good three hours mapping this one, and about an hour perfecting the gameplay sketch during school. spawn placement is inspired by soap's ctf_swamp.

so, without further ado, the double decker toilet presents you ctf_am.

[ old overview ]
171kb

[ 1.1 overview ]
196kb

[ 1.1 download ]
121kb
notes

polies - 816 812
scenery - 223 219
spawnpoints - 13 42
waypoints - none yet, although i would like it if ea, keron, or semagae would do it (hint hint)
stuff i forgot in the overview - flags are on the little islands held up by the triangular supports, and player spawns are in the highest part of the cave things. does not support htf, or any other gamemode.

Maka
April 1, 2006, 3:28 am
Well the overview looks good, but Im too lazy to download it right now. I do have to say, all the cool people stopped killing kittens to download this map hours ago.

Deleted User
April 1, 2006, 3:36 am
hmm, the building and platforms are a little thin, i like the concept though *d/l's*

Koon
April 1, 2006, 5:19 am
It's a good all around map.

DeMonIc
April 1, 2006, 8:29 am
When you said three hours, I was expecting something... more jaw-dropping. This would look much better with a nice hybrid/multi-texture, and some background for the caves ( it looks rather empty. ) The scenery placement is well synchronised with the colouring and texture though, nice job.

As for gameplay: the upper 'route' needs to be accessed from the battlefield, which makes it pretty unusable ( has no real tactical value this way, the speed benefit from taking the lower route is much greater than the cover it provides ). I suggest you modify it to something like this, so the upper way comes to play more often.

Deleted User
April 1, 2006, 10:14 am
whoa.. i got surprised of how good that map is:D

rabidhamster
April 1, 2006, 1:16 pm
when i drew this map, i thought long and and hard about the entrances to the caves, and the spawpoint placement.

but, not about the top route. that was more of a secondary thing (same with the coloration, i had no idea what the theme was going to be). so, i am going to redo the top route. expect an update later today, or early tomorrow.

thanks for the feedback.

OutofOrder
April 1, 2006, 6:11 pm
your nerdy OV, which i found amazing, has convinced me to d/l this map.

Eagles_Arrows
April 1, 2006, 6:41 pm
Ahh, I'm using Dial-up, and yet I get a transfer rate of 11 KB/S o.O

Pros:
>Neat & Colorful
>Good Scenery Placement

Cons:
>Very Thin Platforms
>Easy to Get Spawnkilled

*waypoints*

rabidhamster
April 2, 2006, 2:50 pm
originally, i was going to put cols on the platforms, but i dediced otherwise, which gives me this map :/ although i kind of like it.

about the spawnkilling, i almost directly copied soap's ctf_swamp spawns, and i really like the "one long route to your own flag" idea. prevents stalemates from occuring. the only disadvantage to the stalemate preventor is that if a stalemate begins, it will take a very, very long time to end (almost like a double sided infiltration map).

OutofOrder
April 2, 2006, 6:21 pm
what's a "stalemate" ?

DeMonIc
April 2, 2006, 6:34 pm
A stalemate is when both flags are taken away, and the teams struggle to assasinate the enemy flag carrier. Occours quite often in 'serious' games.

The edit you did makes it a bit easier to access the top route, but still not smooth enough imo ;\

rabidhamster
April 2, 2006, 7:01 pm
the main point of the top route was to have some other way to get to the flag. the reason why i made the top route harder to access was because i wanted the bottom route to be the "main" route that nearly everyone takes. besides, after some practice with the map, the upper platforms are much easier to access than before.

by the way, do you think that the alpha team has an advantage?

Raptor
April 2, 2006, 8:56 pm
I don't like the look of the map, but I have to admit that the gameplay is pretty awesome!