( search forums )
inf Abel's Warehouse
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
OutofOrder
April 1, 2006, 3:10 am
If you're addict enough to the game, you'd quickly realize the thread title is about merging two of the default maps into another one. :P
Indeed, since those are my favourite default infiltration maps (along with Moonshine), i tried to merge both maps into a single infiltration hybrid. The idea was to keep almost everything of Abel and everything except bravo base (and it's lower tunnel) from Warehouse.
What i didn't do:
- Touch any shading.
- Touch any scenery, or change any of their colouring.
- Touch the remaining layout or its relative spawns.

What i did:
- Merge both maps' waypoints. Added 4 more waypoints.
- Inevitably merge the correspoding "orphan" polygon sides.
- Change the texture: Multitexturing this (to both their original looks) would have been way too much work, and i only wanted to do this quickly.

Map settings and BG colours both belong to Abel, except the map name which had to be changed. The result... well you can see it and jugde it for yourself.

[IMAGE]

I found it somewhat interesting; never expected it to be original. I dare not post this at the New Maps, since it's just two great maps joined by the will of a devoted player.
Tell me your impressions.

Edit: oops! forgot map file!
http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/index.php?act=dl&file=aW5mX0FiZWxzV0guemlw

Deleted User
April 1, 2006, 3:16 am
This is a nice map! I thought it would take a long time to get from the blue/alpha to the blue/alpha base, but it is just the right length ;)

vash763
April 1, 2006, 8:42 am
Good idea.

Could have been executed better. Some texture stretching especially.

Deleted User
April 1, 2006, 1:47 pm
I would suggest you add something in the middle, cause atm it looks like it was cut off, also consider the length of the map,
nice idea nevertheless.

rabidhamster
April 1, 2006, 2:40 pm
looks hard for alpha... place the flag somewhere else.

OutofOrder
April 1, 2006, 6:05 pm
Thanks for your support.
Well, all i did was cut off one part of each map and merge the remainings, and nothing else (not even wanted to do anything else). That is why any comment not regarding the places where i sliced both maps has little interest for me, i'm sorry. Anyone else can do another version of this hybrid on their own, which i don't think it deserves to be called a "new map", like i implied above.

Flame: good to hear.
Vash: thanks.
Sgt. B: but it IS cut off xD And perhaps it is a bit long, yeah. Let's see what others think.
rh: not as hard as inf_abel itself, imo.

rabidhamster
April 1, 2006, 6:09 pm
really? is that because you gave it more jet fuel, or what?

by the way, abel + warehouse = outpost.

Eagles_Arrows
April 1, 2006, 6:48 pm
Interesting idea...but I fear Infiltration x_X

The Geologist
April 1, 2006, 7:50 pm
'eh...the purpose is good, yet poorly executed. The middle potion looks awful, especially with that big block just floating there (which people can get on to). The contrasting colors/textures could be smoothed over as well, do more than just cut and paste. I like the idea, but do these two maps really work together? Not really imo, at least not without some change in the distance. You've got a very long map that removed what I believe to the best part of warehouse. Running for so long only to get killed isn't too fun, and considering these two maps are particularly prone for spawn killing from bravo it seems like the distance would give people plenty of time to respawn and come at you two or three times depending on how often they're killed.

A good concept, just doesn't get my thumbs up yet.

OutofOrder
April 1, 2006, 8:45 pm
Now that's an adequate reply, Geologist. It fits the dialectic kind of discussion one expects.
I guess you're right about those maps not working together.
As for the looks, i repeat that i never wanted to edit them. I guess the new texture is a negative effect, but any other texture different from the original ones had to be a negative effect.

Anyway i don't think i'm doing something like this again :P Perhaps someone else wants to go ahead with it.

Deleted User
April 3, 2006, 6:08 am
Wow this is very different than anything I have ever seen.
Pro's:
Very originial, good gameplay.
con's;
colors are depressing, big map, whats the point of the big stupid block in the middle?

Chuckie
April 5, 2006, 3:16 am
yeha i went into a server and this map was in it it was pretty tight

OutofOrder
April 5, 2006, 4:19 am
Seriously??
There are so many good maps worth being hosted, and this one gets free space. Meh...