( search forums )
Lag problems
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server discussion
Michal Marcinkowski
April 2, 2006, 10:44 am
There are many complaints that the network code got laggier during versions 1.2 - 1.3. The problem is I don't really know why it is like that. I didn't really change the network code during those versions. If you're an admin then you can change the server settings, here are my ideas:

The thing that changed most was adding PacketRate_Adjusting=1 to soldat.ini. Change it to PacketRate_Adjusting=0 on the servers and see how it plays.

You might play with the soldat.ini options for setting packet send rate T1_*, works when connection type is set to T1 (Internet_Connection=3)
example: T1_Snapshot=40, sends this packet every 40 ticks (60 ticks = 1 second). The bigger the numbers are the less bandwidth the server needs but the gameplay will not be as smooth as with small numbers.

You might also try disabling anti-cheat - Disable_AntiCheat_Kick=1.

Also you might remove all entries in lobby_servers.txt so that it doesn't communicate with the lobby servers.

Play around with these and please let me know how it works.

Deleted User
April 2, 2006, 11:08 am
Dont you read your PM's anymore?

I Found:
Changing 'T1_Snapshot=' to 30 made the ping lower by 33ms.
Changing 'Disable_AntiCheat_Kick=' did nothing.
Changing 'PacketRate_Adjusting=' resulted in less ping fluxing.

rabidhamster
April 2, 2006, 9:05 pm
Sorry to spam, but was the "x map cannot be found or downloaded" problem on servers running off of routers (or whatever the problem was) ever solved?

Michal Marcinkowski
April 3, 2006, 3:10 pm
EnEsCe found a possible solution to the bug a couple days ago. I'll try to fix it using that knowledge.

rabidhamster
April 3, 2006, 8:02 pm
Sounds great. If this problem is solved, it should be posted in the Information Gathering section of the forums immediately.

shoover
April 7, 2006, 11:15 pm
by erasing everything at lobby_servers.txt, u want us to delete the file also? That might help

Michal Marcinkowski
April 8, 2006, 10:54 am
The Wrong Map bug happens if the player or server uses a map that has less than 3 sceneries used. I can't fix it without making a client patch so avoid using maps like that for now.

PureGrain
April 8, 2006, 2:31 pm
Would someone be so kind as to compile a list of those maps?

Also, where is the best place to get NEW map packs for servers?

shoover
April 8, 2006, 8:26 pm
well if u want i could send u n8v io rs's map pack

Dj-SAGI
April 9, 2006, 3:53 am
Its didnt change alot MM( about the lag )

PureGrain
April 10, 2006, 5:07 am
 Quote:Originally posted by shooverwell if u want i could send u n8v io rs's map pack
That would be great. Can you link me or should I give you some FTP site too hit me up with it?

TeRRoRinFANt
April 10, 2006, 7:46 am
Hmm, I've set the T1_snapshot to 35 from 40 and I've disabled packet rate adjusting. I think it does seem to be better in terms of lag, but my question is - what am I loosing now, what exactly was the packet rate responsible for?

FliesLikeABrick
April 10, 2006, 8:04 am
the server will most likely use a bit more bandwidth now, since it is sending out a packet every 35 ms instead of 40

TeRRoRinFANt
April 11, 2006, 8:35 am
Hmm, after several games there I noticed most people had better pings, sometimes though the ping of one or two persons would begin to wobble between say 100 and 300. Hmm, also - is it using more MY bandwidth, or SERVER'S? Mine, right?

Deleted User
April 11, 2006, 8:41 am
Server and you, but mostly the server