weird snowflake thing
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
rabidhamster
April 8, 2006, 5:55 pm
95 degrees.
54.392 bytes

Artsy desktop version, 95 degrees.
313.323 bytes

Darker, colorful 5-chute version for Geologist, around 135 degrees.
197.603 bytes

^Note that these are my backgrounds, so they have my initials slapped on to all of them. The last one isn't too obvious.

If anyone wants the screensaver (It randomly generates them in full color), I'll upload it temporarily. :D

OMGZ SCREENSAEVR
1.023.004 bytes (gamemaker sucks at compression)

Any suggestions to make it more realistic? Currently, they are generated like so:

Step One
Six "chutes" come out from the center.
Step Two
Every 64 pixels the original chutes travel from the center, two chutes come out from every currently existing chute. They come out x degrees counter-clockwise to their parent's traveling direction, and x degrees clockwise to their parent's traveling direction. The pic I took was 95 degrees; each degree amount creates a different, equally interesting pattern.
Step Three
After the original six chutes are 384 pixels away from the center, the process is stopped.

Edit: The program can now handle more than just 6-base snowflakes. It can now do 3 to 8 base.

Deleted User
April 8, 2006, 6:34 pm
slap some glow, colors filter effects or whatever on it and you got something cool. and change background color to black as it goes well with glow.

rabidhamster
April 8, 2006, 7:07 pm
Edited, I added a gradient background, replaced the scan lines with a grid pattern, added a very nifty zoom blur, and changed the font to something more suitable.

Deleted User
April 8, 2006, 7:11 pm
now we're talking

Swarmer
April 8, 2006, 7:28 pm
I want the SS!

Although my current savers are already awesome: http://www.reallyslick.com/

rabidhamster
April 8, 2006, 7:38 pm
The saver is really cool, because it shows the snowflake being generated in realtime, and the flakes are color coordinated. And all of this was made in gamemaker.

bja888
April 8, 2006, 7:44 pm
What program are you doing this in?

The Geologist
April 8, 2006, 7:56 pm
Hmm...I actually really like these Any chance some of the background colors could be a bit darker? The designs are really cool, but could hurt the eyes after a while being so white.

rabidhamster
April 8, 2006, 8:00 pm
Believe it or not, the program was made in Game Maker. The infinitely hated, "noob" programming tool. And geologist, The screensaver is much, much easier on the eyes, but if you want, I'll try making a darker bg.

bja888
April 8, 2006, 8:08 pm
Do you have flash? This would be ideal for flash.

rabidhamster
April 8, 2006, 8:11 pm
Yes, I do have flash, but I can't program in it. I know this is a very simple program, but I have no skill in other languages (I only have basic C++ knowledge and advanced GM language knowings).

Uploading program, gimme a few minutes.

Edit: Could an admin move this to the lounge?

Edit 2:Darker, colorful 5-chute version for Geologist, around 135 degrees.
197.603 bytes

Deleted User
April 8, 2006, 10:29 pm
I know flash but only extremely basic scripting :D

bja888
April 8, 2006, 10:34 pm
Actionscript 1 is just like JScript
Actionsicrpt 2 is like JScript.Net
Actionscript 3, I haven't seen it yet. I might download it today.

The Geologist
April 8, 2006, 10:40 pm
Coolness :D

Deleted User
April 8, 2006, 10:46 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888Actionscript 1 is just like JScript
Actionsicrpt 2 is like JScript.Net
Actionscript 3, I haven't seen it yet. I might download it today.

hard to learn? I really want to learn to make flash games :D

bja888
April 8, 2006, 11:47 pm
If you have a good understnading of OOP then all you need to know is what members beling to what classes. And you can find that here...
[URL]

nfsjunkie91
April 9, 2006, 4:34 am
I want this! Upload temporarily as you say you would in your main post! Please.

FliesLikeABrick
April 9, 2006, 4:51 am
I'd actually use this as a wallpaper if you weren't so desperate for attention as to slap RH right in the middle of the freakin' thing. Take that out or put some little credit thing in the corner, but don't be a jackass and ruin the coolness of it all with a giant RH OMG in the middle.

bja888
April 9, 2006, 4:54 am
 Quote:Originally posted by nfsjunkie91I want this! Upload temporarily as you say you would in your main post! Please.

lol, he did. I think you missed it.

Deleted User
April 9, 2006, 5:07 am
Can you make one with 13 chutes and use the colors from burgandy to milkish-silver? Thanks! Oh and RH in the corner, please. =)

rabidhamster
April 9, 2006, 5:40 am
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickI'd actually use this as a wallpaper if you weren't so desperate for attention as to slap RH right in the middle of the freakin' thing. Take that out or put some little credit thing in the corner, but don't be a jackass and ruin the coolness of it all with a giant RH OMG in the middle.

Gah, those are just demonstrations.

-VzX- Silverflame
April 9, 2006, 8:31 am
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888 Quote:Originally posted by nfsjunkie91I want this! Upload temporarily as you say you would in your main post! Please.

lol, he did. I think you missed it.

awww, can u do it again please?

bja888
April 9, 2006, 1:42 pm
rabidhamster, permission to make an open source flash version??? Should be a good exercise for me.

rabidhamster
April 9, 2006, 1:44 pm
Feel free to bja. If you have Game Maker 6 (www.gamemaker.nl), I can PM you the gamemaker "source."

To everyone else, the screensaver is coming.

Edit:OMGZ SCREENSAEVR
1.023.004 bytes (gamemaker sucks at compression)

Deleted User
April 9, 2006, 7:15 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by aznbl00dCan you make one with 13 chutes and use the colors from burgandy to milkish-silver? Thanks! Oh and RH in the corner, please. =)

RAWR.

rabidhamster
April 9, 2006, 7:28 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by aznbl00dCan you make one with 13 chutes and use the colors from burgandy to milkish-silver? Thanks! Oh and RH in the corner, please. =)

Sorry, didn't see that.

bja888
April 10, 2006, 3:05 am
Version 1
[URL]

It needs a lot of work...

vash763
April 10, 2006, 6:09 am
actionScript rules, nice job working on converting bja

bja888
April 11, 2006, 7:34 am
[URL]

I've got bigger fish to fry. Open source, Feel free to do with it what you want.

rabidhamster
April 12, 2006, 3:49 am
That's cool bja, but you forgot that the center rod continues, it doesn't dissapear.

bja888
April 12, 2006, 4:26 am
what do you mean?

I might work on it some more if I have time...

bja888
April 13, 2006, 8:15 am
Fixed some lag issues....

[URL]

rabidhamster
April 13, 2006, 8:24 am
You'll notice that there three chutes come off on my version, however yours only has two chutes come off. Just watch the screensaver a couple times, and you'll see what I mean.

-VzX- Silverflame
April 13, 2006, 3:56 pm
looks very nice bja888 ^_^ so this is a screensaver or just something for flash in a web browser?

bja888
April 13, 2006, 4:18 pm
download the swf and look at it when you get bored... I find my self doing that often because it is on my desktop.