( search forums )
Doors/traps
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
smurfslayer
April 10, 2006, 1:00 am
I think that automatic doors would be a good addition to the game. I dont mean hinged doors i mean doors that would slide into the celing. I think that they should also stop bullets as well. I also feel that trap doors in the ground would be cool so that if a player was to walk on the trap they would fall into a pit of spikes or just a room in wich they would be stuck in untill they are killed. If this has already been discussed just tell me because there is no need for anger.

Deleted User
April 10, 2006, 10:17 am
doors i am for, imagine two teams on either side but dont know it lol...but traps seem like they would get old, fast

Ozone
April 10, 2006, 11:01 am
I think doors would be cool and it would be nice if you could walk up to the door and it would slide open when yuou were about |-| that close to it. And both teams could open them. I dont like the traps though, thats more like some swords game.

Baphomet
April 10, 2006, 2:52 pm
i disagree with doors because most of them will, most probably, be placed on tunnels which tend to be a really nice place for snipers to set up their tent and remain there all day just waiting for someone to open the door and shoot like a damn good soldat (or not).. traps could be interesting, tho once mastered will be easily avoided i guess.

Eagles_Arrows
April 10, 2006, 3:25 pm
The idea has already been suggested, but I feel that the traps will be unecessary. They will tend to piss players off half of the time.

Doors, however, I gladly welcome.

Drink Bloody Water
April 10, 2006, 11:03 pm
Yup, next time plz do a forum search, but anyway i think people would misuse this feature too, hell i know i would. I'd put it in a red's respawn spot in inf_outpost and ctf_dropdown. so when they fall GULP! What if one of your teammates falls in? Will he/she die too?

gohen84
April 11, 2006, 10:06 pm
In some Infiltration Maps There are already Traps Go to leos Servers and see what I mean.

shoover
April 13, 2006, 12:12 am
Actually doors are already a good idea, but it might cause some lag spikes, (im talking about the ones that open and exit). But then some ppl will be talking about ones with locked doors and keys with them so i dont know about the idea

Deleted User
April 13, 2006, 3:28 pm
Are this suggested bewore? but this is good idea!

Krillious
April 15, 2006, 1:11 am
Or else you could have doors which slide open but can only be put there in a map editor, as in they are already there when the match starts and the soldat players can't move them.

Raptor
April 15, 2006, 3:16 am
This has been suggested before and I still like the idea =D

Mini Man
April 18, 2006, 11:51 am
Doors = Good, I don't think they should totally stop bullets just slow them, like when a high powered bullet hits a teammate.
Traps = Don't we already have some spike pits on some maps? I know some dm maps that have them...

Deadeye Rob
April 19, 2006, 12:06 pm
I suggested a simillar post a while ago about doors. Im totaly for doors cos i their funny in Aliens Versus Predator 2 (Aliens! Slam the damn door and peg it!)

I think an idea of locking these doors would be a reasonable idea and ad a little more strategy to the game. for example, some guy has locked himself in a room, with the enemy flag. The only way to get in is to use an explosive weapon to blast it away.

Crude, but it adds a little more strategy to the game!

Zegovia
April 19, 2006, 1:01 pm
Then you should add door switches... :D

think of an INF map, the infiltrating team will have to split up in three groups, two of em will move to the separate switches in order to open the doors to the flag, the third group will then run in an grap the flag when the other groups sucseed in opening the doors....

numgun
April 19, 2006, 3:04 pm
CRRRUSHERSSS!!!!1 ftw.

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 3:11 pm
I thought these were called bullet-collide/non-player colliding polys?

numgun
April 19, 2006, 5:48 pm
moving polys he means i guess.

and again: CRUSHERSSS!!! yay

Deadeye Rob
April 22, 2006, 2:08 pm
If any of you have played Aliens versus Predator 2 then you will know what im on about. In several levels you are a marine (by yourself!) legging it from a tide of aliens ready to devour you.

You come across a bulkhead and press the 'open' button. It slowly grinds open, the alien horde lurches towards you as you scram in and pull the closing lever. The door slowly comes together asit does it catches a few alien arms unlucky enough to be caught!

In a situation like that it is a hilarious moment! Imagine in soldat if you were being chased by a few people in a sci-fi map or sommit. and u team messaged a mate in a control room to slam the doors on that particular corrior!

As u peg it down the hall all the doors slam behind you cutting the enemy off. It will only slwo em down for they can blast their way through.

(my perfect idea for doors in soldat)

a-4-year-old
April 22, 2006, 3:49 pm
that is singleplayer?

i dont like it, i think doors would be overabused by mappers and gamers.

even in games like call of duty 2 online they refuse to include doors in multiplayer, it will just be a CAMP HERE sign

HYPERFUNKBOT
April 23, 2006, 4:33 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldthat is singleplayer?

i dont like it, i think doors would be overabused by mappers and gamers.

even in games like call of duty 2 online they refuse to include doors in multiplayer, it will just be a CAMP HERE sign

What are you talking about?? UT and UT200X is filled with doors.

Besides, if someone is camping there, then just don't walk in. And if all the entrances are like that, it's just a [CENSORED] map, like inf_meatball for instance.

a-4-year-old
April 23, 2006, 5:18 pm
i dont think that this idea is good, i just dont think the people's mentality should be that if it is in a different game, it absolutly must be in soldat.

soldat needs originality, if you want doors in your game, go play UT

HYPERFUNKBOT
April 23, 2006, 7:27 pm
I didn't say that it must be in Soldat (although how the hell is having DOORS unoriginal?), I was simply pointing out a major flaw in your argument.

IMHO, doors would infact be too much work for something that does pretty much nothing, so I don't support the idea.

Zegovia
April 24, 2006, 8:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by HYPERFUNKBOTI didn't say that it must be in Soldat (although how the hell is having DOORS unoriginal?), I was simply pointing out a major flaw in your argument.

IMHO, doors would infact be too much work for something that does pretty much nothing, so I don't support the idea.

Wrong! it can be opened... Observe!! *opens door*

WHOA!!! isnt that AWESOME?!?!??!

Dev
April 27, 2006, 6:20 pm
Think of the possibilities for making maps!

One Large building on one side, and small camp on the other side.

Think of Infiltration...

You would have regular doors (ones that can't be locked) at the front, so it's not impossible. Medical rooms (the places with health, Gernades, etc...) can be locked from the inside, and from the control room (near the top?).

Control room...

Regular room, with colored switches on the wall, so maybe by clicking the fire button, it would shut the same colored door, blocking people off.

Small screens on top of each switch so you know whats happening at that one place.

For example:

Team blue is in the building.

Lets say about 5 people in each team.

1 person from blue team would be in the control room (Can be locked). Another person guarding him. Three other people camping near the large room where the flag is. (Can be locked)

Now, red team goes in. Smoke bombs would be cool, flooding the room they are in, where only the red team can see through it, with just a little bit of smoke at them. Blue cannot see anything in smoke, because they didn't throw it, and they don't have smoke bombs, kind of eavening out the teams.

Red team goes for the control room. Control room person sees them in the screens, and locks the control room door. Red team can blast through, unless blue team double locks the door, where it takes lots of firepower (about three gernades). Red team takes control of room, and opens all doors.

You can see where this leads to.. lol

Smoke bombs thrown, lasting about 8-10 seconds. Steal flag, go back, suzzah :D

David S7
April 27, 2006, 8:18 pm
I like the doors idea, but not the traps idea.

edak
April 27, 2006, 10:43 pm
i dont much like these ideas because they will unleash many more bugs on us. perhaps instead of doors make 2 poly's one from ceiling and one from ground that you must jump over but can't shoot through.
~~~|~~~~~
<.__|__|_______ Direction of movement
______|______--o==.___ <- that's supposed to be a "DOOR" and a sniper on ground.

David S7
April 27, 2006, 11:19 pm
Yeah, better make colliders or something.

________________ Roof
............| ...|..........
............|o .|.......... Door
............| ...|..........
-------------------------- Floor

Red = colliders. Put colliders in the doors, and then bullets can't go threw ;) .

a-4-year-old
April 27, 2006, 11:25 pm
why dont you just use polys that dont colide with players but do with bullets.