( search forums )
Voice Chat
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
April 10, 2006, 2:57 am
i'm sure this has been suggested before, but i didn't see it in the "all suggestions" topic, so i though i'd give it a shot...

idea = have a voice chat option available for players with any of a kind of high-speed, low ping connection - all players (with a high speed, low ping connection) that enable the voice chat option will be able to hear any voice chat and team voice chat entered - control-key enabled, any microphone should support voice chat - also, server admin have power to block the voice of anyone at will. (a player vote for this would also be available) - basically, the entire chat protocol would closely resemble the Halo xbox-live deal, - public chat always heard... private chat heard by teammembers and passer-by's...

i know this idea seems impractical, but once the details are worked out, i think it could work

openly acceptive to all comments

Echo_Trail
April 10, 2006, 3:17 pm
Surely this has been suggested a [CENSORED]load of times, but it seems it's been ignored just as much. I'm all up for this idea. I think it's brilliant, since i find it that any open program(such as ventrilo or skype) tends to screw up soldat. What i don't like is the "High-speed-low..." thing. I think it should be possible for anyone to participate, and you could mute anyone you like.

Also i don't think dead people should be able to hear you, just because they're lying next to you - as they can with teamchat.
Thanks, echo_trail

Eagles_Arrows
April 10, 2006, 3:19 pm
Yes, I would love a nifty feature like that.

Teamspeak tends to slow down my connection alot.

Baphomet
April 10, 2006, 3:25 pm
yea this would be great. instead of people making a server a damned chat room, they can all start insulting each other on voice chat :P

and it should make players to instruct each other during a match on a public server easily rather than creating shortcuts like some used to.

bja888
April 10, 2006, 3:47 pm
[IMAGE]

FliesLikeABrick
April 10, 2006, 4:07 pm
As Soldat enters its age of maturity, features like this are less likely to be implemented. I would suggest you guys just promote the use of something like teamspeak (not ventrilo, because the interface sucks and they're not considerate enough to have a linux client)

Baphomet
April 10, 2006, 5:19 pm
CS:Source also has a voicechat feature, and so does UT2k4 or something.. and as you may know both comunities of these games are bit more mature than this one, and i dont see voicechat acting as an obstacle.

Drink Bloody Water
April 10, 2006, 10:54 pm
Why is Fileslikeabrick always right :(. Well, use Xfire or somethin, thats what those programs are for. I dont think soldat isnt the right time of game with voicechat, plus MM is busy with all his other projects to be messin around with putting a voice chat program in to Soldat. But nice thought anyway. *one thumb up one thumb down*

Aegis
April 11, 2006, 12:04 am
 Quote:Originally posted by BaphometCS:Source also has a voicechat feature, and so does UT2k4 or something.. and as you may know both comunities of these games are bit more mature than this one, and i dont see voicechat acting as an obstacle.

I think he was referring to Soldat reaching it's 'peak' and Michal M moving on to bigger and better things, which I believe is already starting to happen with this new project of his.
Also, you must consider that both of your examples are commercial games with paid development teams who are experts in the field. Developing a built-in voicechat that had okay quality and didn't lag the game worse would be horribly time consuming for one person.
Not that it's a bad idea, but when there are already 3rd party programs for the same function..

zyxstand
April 11, 2006, 12:16 am
frankly, i think there should be vss: voice-supporting-servers
for that you must have ping below 200 (or w.e) to enter so that lag won't be an issue for anyone. but also optional voice option is always good to have (whether server-side or clients individually)

a-4-year-old
April 11, 2006, 1:05 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Echo_Trail1Surely this has been suggested a [CENSORED]load of times, but it seems it's been ignored just as much.

2I'm all up for this idea. I think it's brilliant, since i find it that any open program(such as ventrilo or skype) tends to screw up soldat. What i don't like is the "High-speed-low..." thing. I think it should be possible for anyone to participate, and you could mute anyone you like.

3Also i don't think dead people should be able to hear you, just because they're lying next to you - as they can with teamchat.
Thanks, echo_trail

1.hellz yeah!
2.skype isnt so bad, it is much faster than most programs because it was designed as a telephone-like program so alot less lag than most, its good for talking to a friend, even if you have to threaten em into downloading it :P

i would like it if soldat had voicechat, but i have some baaaaadd experiences with voicechat, once some annoying kid got online and had his mic up against his speakers, so the entire server heard his crappy music and echos of his shots.

3. heres how i think it should work,
2 new buttons:
1. default, dono guess the ~ or cntrl or something press it and start talking to everyone on the server press again to end
2. default dono, press to talk to team and team only press again to stop.

Deleted User
April 11, 2006, 1:32 am
wow - i was expecting a ton of people to suggest that i go eat my own defecation...

well, i just thought that i oughtta put it back out here

- i realize that many wonderful programs exist for outside-of-game communication, but i think that a not-so-distant future version of Soldat needs a better in-game chat system, the pinnacle of such system being a voice chat protocol...

thanks for whatever support i recieved in this =D
Vash The Stampede

Hiei
April 11, 2006, 2:20 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Echo_TrailSurely this has been suggested a [CENSORED]load of times, but it seems it's been ignored just as much. I'm all up for this idea. I think it's brilliant, since i find it that any open program(such as ventrilo or skype) tends to screw up soldat. What i don't like is the "High-speed-low..." thing. I think it should be possible for anyone to participate, and you could mute anyone you like.

Also i don't think dead people should be able to hear you, just because they're lying next to you - as they can with teamchat.
Thanks, echo_trail

I sadly have to agree with you it definatly has been posted many times but it would be a great improvement. It would also be a big step for soldat, somthing a lot of people arent willing to take especially when you know you are gonna hear some idiot screaming while you are playing.

Baphomet
April 11, 2006, 3:05 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Aegis
I think he was referring to Soldat reaching it's 'peak' and Michal M moving on to bigger and better things, which I believe is already starting to happen with this new project of his.
Also, you must consider that both of your examples are commercial games with paid development teams who are experts in the field. Developing a built-in voicechat that had okay quality and didn't lag the game worse would be horribly time consuming for one person.
Not that it's a bad idea, but when there are already 3rd party programs for the same function..

probably right.. anyway if the voice chat feature had an On/Off option could provide whoever's developing it more time to make it good.. oh well, back to TS.