( search forums )
Balancing the Barret
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Weapon Balance Discussion
--Jake--
April 10, 2006, 1:01 pm
OK right now the Barret owns almost every single weapon becuase of it's one shot kill. Yes I use the barret and I love it, but it's damn annoying with the time it takes to acctually fire. If we can lower the time it takes to fire to the rate of a normal gun we could make it longer to reaload. I think this would balance things a little more.

FliesLikeABrick
April 10, 2006, 4:21 pm
This would make the Barret worse. Taking the start-up time off and replacing it with a longer reload is going to make it easier to use/own more than it does now, this is why the start-up time was put on it in the first place

headstone
April 10, 2006, 8:06 pm
The start up time rules. Gives me time to aim!

--Jake--
April 11, 2006, 12:26 am
True but you got to think about the guys with lag. The start up time isn't doing anyone with lag favours. :\

Meevious
April 11, 2006, 7:55 am
I agree, the start up time is so annoying! The barret was balanced before in my opinion, a good MP5er or M79er could easily take out a good camper, just like the spas is good against the HK and m79, I cange my ini at home which is ok, but I dont know of any local servers who do. Bring back the old balanced barret.

jimmy7512
April 11, 2006, 4:25 pm
You know it doesn't matter if you add a start up time or slow reload or whatever I'll just learn to adapt and still kick everyone's ass using it.

GAMEOVER
April 11, 2006, 4:30 pm
all it needs is movement accuracy so you cant run around with it like a noob using it as an assault rifle.

Echo_Trail
April 11, 2006, 4:43 pm
I actuially find the berrat te be better balanced that it has ever been. I think it's perfect! I always used to kick ass with the old barret(no trigger delay), but this has really made it harder for me. I think this is as good as it gets. It's still a good weapon. It has all the advantages a sniper should have! And it can still be overcome a little skill with any other weapon.

I'm really glad you guys did it like this, man. Aslo I see alot less complaints about it since 1.3.1. Ofcourse everyone was like, "OH NOES! LAME!" as the barret was first nerfed like it is now, but I actually think they've grown to like it.

Not nearly as many campers any more, too. As soon as something takes a little skill, it's not worth spending time on appearently.. =)

shoover
April 14, 2006, 3:51 am
The only thing that matters to a barret and most weapons is What you can get out of it per reload, and for barret it is 1 (meaning for every time he hits and reloads, he kills once).

Thats all it matters, dont change anything.

XenocidE
April 14, 2006, 8:29 pm
I actually experienced the barret without a startup time in a server. The server bugged out and the barrets startup time was gone. I charged the enemies base and easily killed everyone on the way over. I messaged it in that server and I then noticed every player switched over to barret since you could easily kill with it. I died a few times, but it didn't annoy me. I left and messaged the server host so he could take a look at it and fix the issue.

That would be the worst idea ever to remove the startup time. Currently the Startup .41667 of a second. Since the reload time of each shot is currently at 4 seconds, and the full reload time of the barret is 5 seconds. I thought maybe of changing the Startup time to .35 seconds (21 as a setting in the weapons.ini file). It might make the barret a little quicker on firing rate, but I don't think it would become over used. Maybe move the MovementAcc=7 (instead of 6). I'm sure Demonic has tried these type of settings already, but I'll mess around with them myself later. Just my thoughts as of now.

kr3
April 15, 2006, 2:03 am
Bring back the old balanced barret and put 10 (20, 30, 40...) seconds to reload. the barret is ridicules just now.

( an soldat version to freebsd? :D )

Deadeye Rob
April 15, 2006, 1:58 pm
I cant rememeber who mentioned this but somebody suggested that it would be a good idea to keep the delay when you are moving with it.

However when stationary, an animation (Possibly of the character pulling the scope to his eye) would be played representing the character setting up. Once the animation is over, then the delay would be gone.

This means that a player cannot fire the barret easily while moving, but is able to find a ledge, set up is scope, and fire at will! :D

In my view this would be ideal, it eliminates all those running noobs and forces people to use the barret for its true purpose!

Swarmer
April 15, 2006, 7:16 pm
[IMAGE]

--Jake--
April 16, 2006, 1:52 pm
Like Deadeye Rob said, if you place an animation of the character pulling the scope upto his eye when you prone/lie down then after the animation is done you can fire once without the delay, then he reloads, sets up again and you fire again. But when you are on the ground running you keep the bink. I love this idea, you can't get kicked off a server for camping with it (well if you do it's just some idiots).

John O
April 16, 2006, 6:05 pm
well the barreta is anything but a teamwork gun, which is lame in my book. having it like the ruger where you have to shoot in the chest or head for a kill would help a lot- so im for that idea.

but honestly it should be like the law- you need to croutch to shoot. get rid of the startup.

bond_james_bond
April 16, 2006, 6:40 pm
The Barret has become a real weapon now. No longer is it an assault rifle. It is a true sniper rifle. I think it is perfect and does not require any change.

damnnation
April 16, 2006, 6:56 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bond_james_bondThe Barret has become a real weapon now. No longer is it an assault rifle. It is a true sniper rifle. I think it is perfect and does not require any change.

Deadeye Rob
April 17, 2006, 1:10 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by bond_james_bondThe Barret has become a real weapon now. No longer is it an assault rifle. It is a true sniper rifle. I think it is perfect and does not require any change.

Its partally successful i think. yes people cannot use it as an assault rifle, but most people cant use it in all respects now due to the delay. The delay for some1 moving around is fine, i would prefer to have no delay for stationary players, for that is what a sniper is really supposed to do! (Refer to my previous post!)

bond_james_bond
April 17, 2006, 2:14 pm
With the delay, an actual portion of skill is required! This is how I think it makes the barret a real sniper rifle.

Listen (or Read) to this:

You are stationary with the barrt, using the scope. With the delay you have to ANTICIPATE where your target will move, because it won't fire right off. Now, this, I can imagine, is what real snipers in real life have to do.
Also, this sort of 'endorses' agility skills in Soldat. You don't want to be picked off, so don't be predictable.

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 6:23 pm
In a technical sense, delay actually means aiming at your targer for longer while holding mouse button. When you are stationary, the lead off can be done by moving your cursor constantly staying on target. Or aiming in one place and waiting for them to reach point X, then you fire.

You don't use a barret in a CW environment without skills...

AND, if you idiots knew how the [CENSORED] to play, barret would be no problem.

Spec. Ops
April 27, 2006, 11:29 pm
if u think its unfair because it kills u in 1 shot. Then try new techneques, iam in a sniper clan and have found ways to trick barret users. The delay also just needs some getting use to and it will still be a powerful weapon no matter what u do to it

Rooster
April 28, 2006, 4:54 pm
So you want the barret buffed because you lag? Ugh. The barret doesn't need a change.

iDante
April 29, 2006, 5:22 am
1. I really dont know why a person would make a sniper clan... seems kinda stupid.
2. Try making the gun with only a 2 round clip, same start up, and half as long reload. I think that will make it more fair.