( search forums )
why is gamemaker(tm) hated? : 0
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
numgun
April 10, 2006, 9:38 pm
just wondering. ive heard some ppl laugh when someone mentions the word ''gamemaker''(tm)?

whats so... sucky in it?

imo i think its a good program. its easy to use and its clear.

peemonkey
April 10, 2006, 9:45 pm
It's good for making tiny rooms and little coding, but it's way too underpowered for anything major. If you tried to make something like soldat in GML, it'd lag horribly, and there'd be absolutly no net play.
It's just weak. It gets less fun after a few months.

Eagles_Arrows
April 10, 2006, 9:53 pm
Yes, most of the games produced by GameMaker has very very slow gameplay, and it just sucks overall.

a-4-year-old
April 10, 2006, 10:17 pm
the kill paramund game was fun!

numgun
April 11, 2006, 12:21 am
slow? u guys tried ''jetz4 rampage'' game? it runs pretty smooth. and its fully made on GM... : S

btw, how do you suggest making games? just c++ on notepad? xD

rabidhamster
April 11, 2006, 12:38 am
Of course you can't make good games with C++ on notepad. You have to use Delphi on notepad. DUH.

peemonkey said: Quote:"It's good for making tiny rooms and little coding, but it's way too underpowered for anything major. If you tried to make something like soldat in GML, it'd lag horribly, and there'd be absolutly no net play.
It's just weak. It gets less fun after a few months."
I don't use gamemaker for making games (I used to), I use it for simulators. If you've seen my Snowflake generator, that was made in Gamemaker. It's great for simulators because of its fast draw_pixel function. And no, it doesn't get less fun. I've been using it since I was eleven, and it's still a [CENSORED]load of fun to start it up and make a gas pressure simulator or somethin.

numgun, Jetz4 is great fun, but it does lag on my laptop (23fps on 384MB RAM, 1.6Ghz, 16MB graphics card).

a-4-year-old
April 11, 2006, 1:19 am
 Quote:Originally posted by numgunslow? u guys tried ''jetz4 rampage'' game?

no...
link?

rabidhamster
April 11, 2006, 1:34 am
http://s64games.com/jetzrampage4.php

Captain Ben
April 11, 2006, 10:20 am
I thought Game Maker was hated, mainly because there was no real coding or effort put into it... I don't see what the big deal is, seeing as I can't understand C++ and last time I tried game maker I [CENSORED]ed up real bad.

Maybe I'm not meant to make a pirate racer.

blackdevil0742
April 11, 2006, 4:14 pm
I guess some ppl see it as cheating because you don't need to do the core coding of the game. But i've made games with it and I never thougt I would be able to do that, ever. So I think GM is great because it's easy to use.