( search forums )
INF mapping squad (We gots a forum!)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
rabidhamster
April 11, 2006, 3:07 am

Forum, created by Eagles_Arrows.

Lo all.

For the past whatever months, I've been building an INF soldat server out of an old computer. As of now, I've installed a better fan, added 512 more MB of RAM, and gotten it a fancy NIC card (that I found in my computer drawer).

Sadly, infiltration only has about five official maps. Heck, even HTF has more maps! So, I decided to make it a 100% custom map server. The problem is, I can't figure out how to get past my Dynex Router (I'm getting the "map cannot be found or downloaded" problem), and I'm not paying for a seperate internet just for the server (already costs over $30 CAD for electricity consumption).

Michal said Enesce might've found a solution to this router dilemma, so I'm gonna wait for 1.3.2 to be released. Until then, I'm making as many infiltration maps as possible, and finding the best alread-made ones. I'm not the best mapper in the world though, so I have no texture stretching or waypointing abilities whatsoever (plus I'm running out of ideas).

What I need from the community are people who could send me a concept drawing every week or so, good waypointers (maps are designed with bots in mind), and someone who understands basic texture stretching.

Edit: For the overview creators, the maps do not have to be balanced.

Polygons, some scenery, and shading:
--rabidhamster
--Flame
--livingdalife
--SoulSnipa
--papasurf31

Scenery:
--SK
--outoforder

Waypointers:
--EA
--Keron
--semagae
empty slot

Concept Artists:
--rabidhamster
--EA
--Pride
--Scourge
--Vash
--Mr. Norris

Texture Stretchers:
--Mothafix
empty slot
empty slotThe squad is almost complete! One or two more experienced texture stretchers and we're good!

Eagles_Arrows
April 11, 2006, 3:15 am
I can draw sketches and do waypoints ^^

Although I am busy with my own mapping projects.

Some good INFs I want to recommend are Geologists' Nuts and Iceberg, and Chakapoko's INF_Rise.

rabidhamster
April 11, 2006, 3:19 am
I'm already gonna use rise, but I'm not a big nuts fan. Oh yeah, the maps don't have to be balanced, because the teams switch every round, and the maplist will look like this:

Viva
Viva
Rise
Rise
Crater
Crater

Et cetera.

Pride
April 11, 2006, 3:30 am
I could help, if you need me, seeing as I have little better to do...

edit:

scourge
April 11, 2006, 6:37 am
i can help provide sketches for maps. im kinda new to mapping and so not that great yet. would be cool to see some of my concepts made into maps.

i can also waypoint if needed.

vash763
April 11, 2006, 8:21 am
I can make RS themed INF maps.

If you go look at inf_annex that's an example (I've actually remade it, and it's sitting on the computer at my Dad's.).

I have some others I havn't released.

So if it's an RS server I can make some.

rabidhamster
April 11, 2006, 4:15 pm
Edit: Look at the first post for a list of helpers. Only one slot left for overview creators (I don't want too many, otherwise I won't be able to map that fast).

Vash, R/S maps are fine (they're my favorite), Although it isn't an R/S server.

Keron Cyst
April 11, 2006, 6:22 pm
I have a TON of custom inf. I've accumulated over the years. I'll post a list later, and I can be a waypointer, methinks...

EDIT You don't need that many waypointing slots. As you've seen with EA and myself, waypointers tend to get obsessive with their jobs and can cover a multitude of maps fairly quickly ;-P

rabidhamster
April 11, 2006, 6:52 pm
Good point. Fixed that.

Norris Scott
April 11, 2006, 7:36 pm
I'll take that last slot for concept art-- I'm good with sketching out map ideas.

Mothafix
April 11, 2006, 7:39 pm
Add meesa as a texture tretcher please.:)

SERIAL KILLeR
April 11, 2006, 8:00 pm
I can help with the scenery.

Deleted User
April 11, 2006, 8:27 pm
i could help with teh polygons and some scenery and shading

Deleted User
April 12, 2006, 1:09 am
i can waypoint and and do polygon/shading.

:D kinda

rabidhamster
April 12, 2006, 1:50 am
Semagae, you're not dead! *does the dance*

Sounds good (could you finish wypting ctf_urban though?).

OutofOrder
April 12, 2006, 2:15 am
If you think i'm worthy of filling the other scenery spot, then count me in.
I hope i get good ping on your server, because this is a very good initiative. There aren't enough custom maps servers around.

livingdalife
April 12, 2006, 2:31 am
Rabid..Add me to the Polygons and shading section...I can gladly help. Email me, or add me to ur MSN (you'll find my email address in my profile)

rabidhamster
April 12, 2006, 2:46 am
Okay, we're pretty much good. First, I'll finish up my current projects. SK and outoforder will go over them, and put some more scenery here or there. Mothatfix will do some texture stretching, then the wypters will do the rest. After that, we can really get cookin.

Eagles_Arrows
April 12, 2006, 3:32 am
BAM! Let's kick it up a notch!

Can't wait to see what I'm gonna waypoint :)

scourge
April 12, 2006, 6:30 am
i see we've accumulated quite a few ppl and are almost ready to go ahead. it sounds like your going to finish the current maps before work on new ones begins, so tell us when your ready for some new drawings.

how should we submit things? should we post our work in this thread?

Eagles_Arrows
April 12, 2006, 10:53 am
How about MSN messenger?

Soulsnipa
April 12, 2006, 11:22 am
well if polygons were still available I would do it, texture stretching isnt necessary as long as you place polygons. Sounds like the old SML idea, good luck. SML has a waypointing feature so that certain people can easily download maps and upload them, giving people notice it is in progress. I can also make something for polygons and concepts if you guys dont want to spam the forum. For you eagles, check out SML when you get a chance, since u are a judge now, the flags should be enabled....you can go through the blue flags if you want and start waypointing all the maps :P.

You guys can assign a secret password, and update maps through sml pretty easily as well.

Deleted User
April 12, 2006, 11:55 am
well, on the basis that i want to see some good inf maps, i'll step down so SoulSnipa can take a slot in the polygons category :D

Soulsnipa
April 12, 2006, 12:00 pm
lol dont step down, its better that you get more experience.

papasurf31
April 12, 2006, 3:04 pm
Sign me up for polygons.

rabidhamster
April 12, 2006, 4:14 pm
Alrighty, looks like we need more polygon slots :P

livingdalife
April 12, 2006, 4:14 pm
PM me, or add me to ur MSN when u need me, oh and thanx for pickin me ^^

Eagles_Arrows
April 13, 2006, 9:27 pm
This website is under construction.

rabidhamster
April 13, 2006, 9:38 pm
^Haha, that's cool.

Regarding the progress on Viva:

Overview - done (by rabidhamster)
Polygons, shading, and basic scenery - done (by rabidhamster)
In-depth scenery work - in progress (by OoO)
Waypointing - not yet
Texture Stretching - not yet

I know a lot of the map was done by me, but that's because I started the map before we formed the alliance.

Deleted User
April 13, 2006, 10:17 pm
that is very kewl

Pride
April 14, 2006, 2:15 am
Edit:Sweeet web site thingy[/edit] Here is a map if any one in teh mapping squad wants to finish it:

Inf_Razorback

download

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 2:40 am
this looks more like a ctf, but i'll see if i can, download plz
Edit: the black flag goes in middle top? and alpha spawns at sides?

OutofOrder
April 14, 2006, 2:44 am
inf_Viva status:
In-depth scenery work - Checked!

Looking forward to play the map online. :)

Eagles_Arrows
April 14, 2006, 3:24 am
I'll try and create a forum using Proboards so that we can continue this discussion there.

Soulsnipa
April 14, 2006, 4:05 am
so.... i can just create half baked maps and people here will finish them

p.p q.q p.p
( ) ( ) ( )

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 4:07 am
i think by all means you should finish it, but if you think you don't have enough time or something like that, then just pass it along

OutofOrder
April 14, 2006, 4:08 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipaso.... i can just create half baked maps and people here will finish them
i don't think that's rabidhamster's idea...

vash763
April 14, 2006, 4:27 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Eagles_ArrowsThis website is under construction.

Try sitesled for an add free, free host.

It'll be cool to be a part of something :D

EDIT: So the idea is RH is making an inf server, and he wants it to kick ass, so we are producing as many kick ass maps as we can?

Pride
April 14, 2006, 4:47 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipaso.... i can just create half baked maps and people here will finish them

p.p q.q p.p
( ) ( ) ( )

Well either I put it here or it would simply never be finished. I actually don't care whether or not it is finished it was just a suggestion. I also put a fair deal of effort into the polys and shading, I just have very little motivation to finish it because I don't very much care for winter themed maps.

Norris Scott
April 14, 2006, 6:07 am
Eagles_Arrows makes me a sad panda for not putting me into the concepts part :P

Hey! Rabid! I've got a zombie-based INF map design for you, shall I upload the sketch?

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 6:27 am
gee, well, i didn't add much, just the spawns and kits, and some scenery, but there is something wrong with the scenery in the bunker when you get in the game
http://m00.laughingllamas.com/fileupload/index.php?act=dl&file=UmF6b3JiYWNrLnppcC56aXA=

i'm such a nub

Edit: and i've only made it for inf_, do we include spawns for dm, rm etc. ?

Mothafix
April 14, 2006, 7:02 am
 Quote:Originally posted by vash763
Try sitesled for an add free, free host.

It'll be cool to be a part of something :D

EDIT: So the idea is RH is making an inf server, and he wants it to kick ass, so we are producing as many kick ass maps as we can?

Yeah we'll do as many map as we can. :)

vash763
April 15, 2006, 8:03 am
IRC would be cools

OutofOrder
April 15, 2006, 10:04 pm
Register at the Infamous forums everyone!

Norris Scott
April 16, 2006, 6:28 am
[IMAGE]

Click the image for the larger version. This is my Zombie-based INF map idea :)

The white flag is on the left in the middle of the map, in that little confined area where the zombie spawns are. It's located on the platform overlooking the middle area from the inside of that room.

Black flag is on the left platform where it reads 'breakers' in the sewege area