( search forums )
ctf_frost by vig
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Soulsnipa
April 11, 2006, 11:34 am
ctf_Frost
by ViGGoLoNiGGoLo
Overview | [url="http://sml.u13.net?p=mapdl&map=184">Download
Screenshot #2 | [url="http://sml.u13.net/maps/screenshot/frost3.PNG">Screenshot #3

Description: The best winter map made yet....
pretty big, what else is there to say than enjoy the gameplay and have a nice GAME 8)

Waypoints: no
Recommended Players: 8-12
Date Uploaded: 04-11-2006

Overview:
[IMAGE]
http://sml.u13.net/maps/overview/ctf_frost.PNG (306.51 KB)

** Download **
(332.72 KB)

Post "automated" by SML
--Please visit SML for more maps/resources/tutorials: http://sml.u13.net

rainrider
April 11, 2006, 11:44 am
Sun is weird.

grand_diablo
April 11, 2006, 12:04 pm
I dun like the shading, looks too artificial imo.

Eagles_Arrows
April 11, 2006, 1:59 pm
If he keeps overdoing his maps, he will become the best "unplayable" mapper in Soldat history.

Norris Scott
April 11, 2006, 6:45 pm
Most of vig's maps do seem more or less just eyecandy, yeah. Unfortunately, halfway through his creations, vig forgot one of the rising popular parts to Soldat mapping nowadays: realism. His maps come off more and more as this over-the-top style with little regards to realism.

And he overuses those .png suns, seriously... he never gets any of them right either.

Vig needs to take a step back and start focusing on gameplay *and* eyecandy, keeping realism hand-in-hand with both. His vertical INF map from awhle back was a testament to how poorly he's been doing with these lately.

And he *definitely* needs to lose his ego. "The best winter map made yet"... psh, is that why it won the contest? Oh wait, it didn't.

Vig deserves to be proud of his skills, however he doesn't deserve to be cocky about them.

OutofOrder
April 11, 2006, 8:59 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Norris ScottAnd he *definitely* needs to lose his ego. "The best winter map made yet"... psh

Wasn't it Soulsnipa's comment? xD

No, really. I don't see anything wrong on keeping a mapping style consistant thru a series of maps one makes. Does he really need to follow what you call "rising popular parts of Soldat"? If maps were all the same, mapping would get dull and senseless. Fortunately, it isn't that way. This map has some unique looks, imo.
And i'm not standing back for vig :P He'd have probably answered you "shut up you nub you don't know nothin i'm the best i dont care wat you say i am god"

And i agree with everyone: the map's too big, giving a horrible gameplay.

Soulsnipa
April 11, 2006, 9:03 pm
no i didnt say that...but keep in mind i had a bug in the contest #2...accidentally made his community rating drop a few points.

Deleted User
April 11, 2006, 9:42 pm
I love this map. I like how vig did the multi-texturing. It seems so real.
This is another reason why ViGGoLoNiGGoLo is my favorite mapist.

scourge
April 11, 2006, 11:53 pm
I like this map, the sding looks good, and the textures nice. the only thing i don't like is the icicle sceneries, they look kinda wierd and over the top. less eye candy would be better although a good map.

vash763
April 12, 2006, 2:05 am
I don't like Vig, and I don't like this map.

Seems unplayable, and the visual is lacking.

Soulsnipa
April 12, 2006, 4:56 am
 Quote:.... and the visual is lacking.

!!! ... wow

vash763
April 12, 2006, 5:36 am
Ahem, let me rephrase: it's lacking in quality, it's certainly there.

Cookie.
April 12, 2006, 10:59 am
6 People in this thread need a good cockpunch!! :D

I've always loved Vij's maps and he hasn't let me down with this one. I like the style he used for the map and the shading is pretty nice... It seems like it will play well I don't know why the comment about gameplay but I will decide after I download it later...

Vash your also retarded way to rephrase and make an even worse statement....

"it's lacking in quality, it's certainly there."
Wtf does that mean? *cock punch*

Deleted User
April 12, 2006, 1:36 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipai had a bug in the contest #2...accidentally made his community rating drop a few points.

no that was me :P

anyway, mince artificial landscape, but still ok eyecandy *trys the map out"

Soulsnipa
April 12, 2006, 2:04 pm
yea there were too many fake ratings ...which drove the ratings down so much that it deleted the top half of his ratings instead of the bottom...

The Geologist
April 12, 2006, 5:27 pm
"fake ratings"..? How were the fake, and how could you tell? Seems like he did alright. Maybe if Vig didnt shove his name into the map title there wouldn't be such a problem.

I'll say the same thing I did for the contest...too open for good play, and the multitexture isn't done well along the roof..gives a whole "wrapped" feel that says more attention was paid to the eye candy than some of the other aspects of the map like shading. That, and those huge, gawdy light sources..bleh.

If it were a bit smaller I'd like it, but as is it's a no go.

Soulsnipa
April 12, 2006, 6:07 pm
fake ratings on sml are defined as....

Option 1)
Person N votes 0 0 0 for all maps but X, X is rated 5 5 5.

Option 2)
Votes less then 2.5 or more than 2.5 of the avg total rating (50% difference) at the end of the contest are deleted.

I forget what exactly happened at the end of the contest, I think I was testing a feature or something. Vig ended up having a lot of 0's which made all of the higher ratings drop down.

Raptor
April 13, 2006, 12:07 am
One word for this map:

enormous

:O