( search forums )
Media Bias
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Vijchtidoodah
April 12, 2006, 5:30 am
UPDATE: I'm done, thank you everyone who participated.

I'm writing a research paper centered around bias in the media and I need your opinions. If you guys could just take the time to fill this questionnaire out either PM me your responses or email them to vijchtidoodah(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Please don't post your answers here or read other's posts before you respond, I'm trying to avoid as much bias as possible.

Thanks.

Definition: a bias is a preference to one particular point of view or ideological perspective that may interfere with a news organization?s neutrality or objectivity on a certain subject. This is expressed by what an organization reports and how.

For Questions 1-4, please respond with one of the following answers: Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Neutral, Agree, or Strongly Agree.

1. Modern reports from major news organizations are biased.

2. Bias in news reports can be avoided.

3. The way news is presented affects my interpretation of the event.

4. News reports should have a bias.

For questions 5-8, please make a written response.

5. Why do/don?t you feel that news organizations are biased?

6. How can you tell whether or not a source has a bias?

7. Should something be done about bias in the media?

8. If you knew a source had a bias, would you stop using it?

Milkman Dan
April 12, 2006, 6:40 am
Done and done. Wheres my goddamn money??

Vijchtidoodah
April 12, 2006, 7:26 am
The money for completing the survey or for those sexual favors that you didn't want anyone to know about?

Rhombus
April 12, 2006, 7:48 am
For the sake of the community: done.

n00bface
April 12, 2006, 8:37 am
a friend in need is a friend indeed

Cookie.
April 12, 2006, 10:49 am
If your trying to avoid as much bias as possible I hope you get results from elsewhere besides the soldat forums. Otherwise using a sample group of mainly teenage guys will certainly have an effect on the results. Even saying what you are looking at influences the results since it can give people ideas and cause them to answer the way they think you want them too. You should change it so it just asks people to fill out a survey for help on your project and throw in a bunch of distracting questions...

Anyways filling in survey for you now rapeface ^_^

Rhombus
April 12, 2006, 7:02 pm
Cookie., You say that like adults aren't biased...
I am less biased than many adults I know...

Vijchtidoodah
April 12, 2006, 8:34 pm
Rhombus, he's saying that I should give the survey to a balanced number of people from different ages, which is a good point. If I had the time and the resources to do that, I would. As it is now, I'm just looking to boost the number of surveys I get back so that it sounds like I did a lot more work than I actually did.

In the end, I can just state in my paper that my results are biased because I tended to ask teenagers and not even very many of them.

Leo Da Lunerfox
April 12, 2006, 9:54 pm
This is Statistics class?

Vijchtidoodah
April 12, 2006, 10:29 pm
Nope, it's for my Writing class. I'm actually done gathering all of the surveys. Thank you to everyone who emailed or PMed me your opinions, it really helped me out.

n00bface
April 12, 2006, 11:21 pm
i'm glad i could help, my good friend!! also, milkmandan is still conducting HIS survey, so go ahead and pm your answers and i will forward it to him.

Cookie.
April 13, 2006, 12:27 am
 Quote:Originally posted by RhombusCookie., You say that like adults aren't biased...
I am less biased than many adults I know...

So your saying that younger people are less bias, therefore putting bias on his results since its results are drawn from younger people.