( search forums )
Anyone know what the problem is?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 3:30 am
Ok, my computer for some reason just dosen't agknowlage that there is a disc in my cd-rom drive anymore, it dosen't matter what the cd is, it just simply stopped recognizing discs.
This started only today...

mar77a
April 14, 2006, 4:05 am
Mmm, press F5 while in "My Computer"....

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 4:44 am
ok?...wtf did that do lol

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 8:57 am
you disconnect the cdrom and you get cancer.. ¬_¬

idunno.

(User was warned for this post. - Ville)

FliesLikeABrick
April 14, 2006, 9:25 am
I had this problem a while back, it came and went. I stopped using windows and it went away.

frogboy
April 14, 2006, 9:47 am
Maybe Windows [CENSORED]ed over your drivers. Check if the CD Drive's working in Device Manager... should be in System Properties somewhere.

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 10:32 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickI had this problem a while back, it came and went. I stopped using windows and it went away.
well thats not really an option for me.
im not going to get a mac or any other OS, i actually like windows the best (go ahead and flame me and call me a dumbass people).
plus i gots no cash, i'm 14 and unemployed :
but thanks for TRYING to help me a bit FLAB lol

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 3:14 am
Wow, some idiots should be warned for spamming in this thread. -_-'

Anyhow, possibly this site might help.
[URL]

Btw is it all CDs(music, dvd ect.,?)
And have you tried seeing if it works on another computer*?

Ill help you later Seth, gtg.

peemonkey
April 15, 2006, 3:17 am
Certain CD's from a company who's name I can't remember have "copyright software" that if you put it in your computer, it makes your cd drive malfunction. And they won't pay for repairs, as far as they're concerned, you're a pirate. (Sony, was it?)

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 3:57 am
Check and make sure the ide and power cable connecting to the drive (inside of computer) are intact.
Make sure windows didn't screw up the drivers.

Does the light on the cd drive come on?

mar77a
April 15, 2006, 4:36 am
OMG ANTI MICRO$OFT

Swarmer
April 15, 2006, 9:16 am
reinstall drivers. Always the second thing to do (rebooting is first, of course).

frogboy
April 15, 2006, 9:34 am
 Quote:Originally posted by peemonkeyCertain CD's from a company who's name I can't remember have "copyright software" that if you put it in your computer, it makes your cd drive malfunction. And they won't pay for repairs, as far as they're concerned, you're a pirate. (Sony, was it?)
Sony's "copyright software" was a rootkit used to hide the software's copyright protection. I don't think it made the CD drive malfunction, but they were sued for it and had to offer CDs without copy protection or the equivalent money, I think.

Starforce, however, is a game copyright protection scheme which apparently causes some CD drives to fail or read slowly. They said it was false and claimed that pirates were responsible for the claims. They also posted links to pirated software that didn't use Starforce.

Dark_Noddy
April 15, 2006, 12:27 pm
Its been said more or less allready but.
If U see the CD-Rom Icon in Explorer I doubt the IDE cable or Power cable is gone (well not the IDE cable anyways) but its a good place to start..
Further on I would uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them..

peemonkey
April 15, 2006, 4:58 pm
froggy, it happened with a friend of mine and a buttload of other people and made the local news and whatnots. Yea, it was sony, and it [CENSORED]ed their drives up.
That's a chicken-[CENSORED] thing to do.

blackdevil0742
April 15, 2006, 7:22 pm
Open up the cd-rom drive and clean it if it isn't reading the cds I had to do it when my stopped reaing cds'

nfsjunkie91
April 29, 2006, 1:32 pm
I know this might be a late reply, and the problem might already be fixed but...
A few simple questions.
1. Did you make sure there is nothing obstructing the laser reading device? (like all the food those idiots told you to put in.)
2. Have you recently installed any games with starforce protection? I think Prince of Persia has it, Trackmania games, and some others. You can check to see if starforce has been installed by going to the device manager.

How to check for starforce in WinXP:
1. Right click my computer > properties.
2. Click the hardware tab.
3. Click Device Manager.
4. In Device Manager, press view.
5. Make sure show hidden devices is checked.
6. Expand Non Plug and Play Devices
7. Look for anything with Starforce.
8. If it's there, you have starforce installed.

3. How old is the CD Drive? I know in some systems, CD drives can become uncalibrated over time. (ps2...) It happened to one of my cousin's old computers.

Fraggy
June 2, 2006, 10:15 pm
perhaps buy a new drive