( search forums )
ctf_CTFHell - First Map
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Darth
April 14, 2006, 8:29 pm
This is my first map that i've released. I was going to include some waypoints but after like 20 minutes i've completely gave up.

Made with PolyWorks btw.

[URL]

Download it here:

[URL]

Oh yeah and when you call it rubbish don't forget to give me some helpful tips that will be useful for me in the future!!

-- How do you get rid of the wireframe thingies in PolyWorks?

Eagles_Arrows
April 14, 2006, 8:33 pm
Ahh! Turn wireframe off!

But now that it's on, I see you've sloppily placed the polys and it's too blocky. It even looks like jgrp's UnderHell, O_o? You also need to shade it for better looks.

You could read Sml.u13.net tutorials for a better understanding of how to map.

But it's fine for a first map.

Darth
April 14, 2006, 8:35 pm
Ok I'll post a picture with wireframe off! I've never seen jgrp's UnderHell, I tried to get rid of some of the "empty" parts inside polygons by putting some more in. I had a quick look at those tutorials by the way, abit confusing - maybe it's because I read it too fast

rabidhamster
April 14, 2006, 8:38 pm
[IMAGE]
That's UnderHell.

Darth
April 14, 2006, 8:48 pm
Nice - How do you unshow (?) the Wireframe thingies?

-> I don't see the resemblence though

The Geologist
April 14, 2006, 8:53 pm
What map making program do you use? If Polyworks, there should be a box to uncheck to take the wireframe off.

The maps are very similar in terms of layout, vastly different in terms of visuals. Your map lacks shading techniques and scenery. Practice with changing the colors of your polys in addition to focusing on layout. The polys are a lot easier to color if they're layed out corner to corner. Overlaping can be good for creating contrast, but practice on getting better layouts and poly placement.

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 9:04 pm
keywords:

smoothen the polys.
add some colors.
improve the sceneryplacement.
bake me a pie.

there you goo.. recapi for being a good mapper.

(i'm drumk)

Darth
April 14, 2006, 9:10 pm
lol, thanks, and btw I just managed to figure out why half of my polyworks wasn't showing including the display tab (Wireframes thingy) because it was OFF the screen! Damn the resulotion!

--> I've started to look at the tutorials properly now that the PolyWorks is working perfectly and I I have to say I have ALOT to learn

Darth
April 14, 2006, 11:43 pm
Ok, I won't! :D

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 2:35 am
The map does look good, but add shading and layout the polys better.

And Stop Picking On My Map UnderHell!!!

Raptor
April 15, 2006, 2:39 am
Try using more polygons when you make your maps =)
The gameplay is pretty nice
Shade the map
and add scenery

That may sound like too much, but those are the basics to create maps that are appealing to players =)

Darth
April 15, 2006, 1:18 pm
jrgp, thanks and do they pick on your map alot?

Raptor, ok I'll keep those things in mind for my next maps!