( search forums )
question about "renting" a server
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server discussion
UltraMagnus
April 14, 2006, 8:44 pm
ok, well there are atleast 4 companies that rent out servers that i know of right now.

my question is, they all are priced by "slots" now, do bots take up "slots"?

thanks in advance!

Deleted User
April 14, 2006, 8:55 pm
no bots dont take up slots

Echo_Trail
April 14, 2006, 8:59 pm
What? What are those? Could you give up links?

UltraMagnus
April 14, 2006, 9:19 pm
http://www.clanplanet.co.uk/prices/servers/soldat
http://www.hyper-gaming.com/pages.php?linkID=prices/soldat_price.php
http://selfkill.com/webv3/content/order.php

also, i think enesce hoasts servers to...

bja888
April 14, 2006, 9:23 pm
I believe u13 will be renting out too...

UltraMagnus
April 14, 2006, 9:28 pm
cool.

could somone else confirm that bots dont take up slots, because i dont want to waste my moneh

thanks in advance

PureGrain
April 15, 2006, 1:22 am
Depends on how many bots your wanting too run I guess. As far as I knew they did take up a slot but we can be flexible.

You can get a 32 slot Public server right now for $9.99 a month.
Web enabled game control panel.

Order this month and use the coupon code to get half off the first order. (see news for coupon code)

3 locations in the US.

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 1:49 am
http://enesce.com/index.php?page=servers ;)
-------
Bots kinda do take up slots, if you have an 8 player server and add 8 bots, no one can join.. however if you have 8 players in the server, you can then add bots over your 8 maxplayers limit, but once those players leave the bots will take up slots. Hope that makes sense

UltraMagnus
April 15, 2006, 8:22 am
well, that wanst what i was wanting to hear...

oh well

UltraMagnus
April 15, 2006, 8:29 am
sorry for the double post.....

PureGrain your special offer, if i rent a server using it, when its over will i start paying the full price or keep paying the special price?

and can i restrict the amount of people allowed beow 32.

also, what sorta ping do your servers have to the uk and how many hops?

sorry EnEsCe but, well, your just more expensive....

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 8:35 am
Actually im 5c cheaper and have better features, but meh.

PureGrain
April 15, 2006, 1:22 pm
Special price stays with you as long as you have the server with us! And yes you can restrict it too lower but not above the 32 slot limit. We do not offer free web space or voice servers with this special price.

UltraMagnus
April 15, 2006, 4:41 pm
cool.

one last question,what sort of speed your servers are connected to the net? and what sort of contention will my server have? (ok, thats actually two...)

PureGrain
April 15, 2006, 7:47 pm
Contention? Explain your question a bit more.

All our game servers are Dual Xeon 2.4's or higher with 2GB or higher memory.

All are on 100Mbps ports and will be upgraded to 1000Mbps port speeds in LA coming next month.

UltraMagnus
April 15, 2006, 8:02 pm
as in, how many servers do you have to a internet connection

and is thats a 100mbps internet connection, right?

UltraMagnus
April 15, 2006, 8:11 pm
sorry for the double post.... again

but i just got as far as clicking the link to buy the promo server, now it asks for a server name, is this the name it will display as, and if so can i change it later?

FliesLikeABrick
April 15, 2006, 9:21 pm
Don't apologize for double posts, please just use the edit button like you're supposed to.

PureGrain
April 16, 2006, 1:54 am
Yes. You can change everything from the control panel. You can change all settings and start/stop/restart your server from our control panel. You also have FTP access and File Manager from your internet browser.

UltraMagnus
April 17, 2006, 12:36 am
ok, well i just rented one now....

but i am having problems, i changed the player limit in the soldat.ini to 8, so that i could use the rest of the slots for bots, however after adding the bots, well, more than 8 players joined the server, and obviously when the total amount of people went over 32 the server started screwing up.......

uh, help....

PureGrain
April 17, 2006, 12:48 am
Please issue a support request! Much more personal than a public forum for support. ;) In the mean time I will have a look around your config.

Also keep in mind the server slot count is passed in the parameter to start the server so we will need to make a differant console command for your server for you to change slot counts. This can be done easy and also give you the ability to change them back and forth as you see fit.

*EDIT*

Get ahold of me via Support email or something. I have a fix for your server that you can manage from the game panel at your leisure. You will just need to change your Command Line Parameter in the game panel. Simple and easy from the control panel and can be switched back and forth at anytime.

UltraMagnus
April 17, 2006, 10:26 am
e-mail sent

PureGrain
April 17, 2006, 1:16 pm
Replied!

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 1:22 pm
Spammed!

Seriously though, problem is solved so stop posting plz.

Arklenao2
April 18, 2006, 6:55 am
hehehe ill spam too
*waits for warning*
renting servers is for uber nubs