( search forums )
ctf_CrossCountry - Third Map
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Darth
April 15, 2006, 5:43 pm
This is my third map I've created so far, it's more or less complete but it's lacking waypoints - I just can't make them! Any Offers?

Screenshot:

[URL]

Download

[URL]

As always give me improvements and suggestions or just any old comments.

Originally this was meant to be quite a long map (abit like ctf_run) but then I changed it and I forgot to change the Map name then I couldn't be bothred to change the Name.

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 5:46 pm
Screenshot link doesnt work can you host it again?

Darth
April 15, 2006, 6:09 pm
Fixed - dumb mistake by me
http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ctfcrosscountry8zb.png/url]

damnnation
April 15, 2006, 6:14 pm
doesn't look good, try adding more feel the the map, and making the edges NOT pointy, i dont know much about mapping, but it doesn't look good...

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 6:21 pm
Sorry darth :( but i have agree with damnation!

scourge
April 15, 2006, 6:51 pm
pointy and hard to look at. also objects you placed in midair will just fall to ground...

looks too small for ctf and the shading looks rushed.

is there a tutorial on how to lay out polys and shade them? if not we sould make one.

[Edit]

http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=20927 found it. take a look here before submiting new maps.

a-4-year-old
April 15, 2006, 7:03 pm
that map is really small if it is called cross country

it needs shading and more routes and less spawning

mramerc00a
April 15, 2006, 8:13 pm
ctf... not good at this map... how is it whit htf?

Mothafix
April 15, 2006, 8:20 pm
Here comes some critic:
The map is only a square + nothing in it
It seems that you just put randomly some colours to polygons not much effort there.
Map is too small for ctf. Spawn - die - spawn - die. Maybe DM or HTF would be better.
If you name it crosscountry, make it look like that.

The Geologist
April 15, 2006, 10:15 pm
Here's what I suggest for you. Look around some of the mapping sites and bring up other peoples maps in the map maker. Don't copy their work, but look at how different people lay out their polys...look at how those poly layouts make it easier to shade the map. If you really want to make maps people will enjoy it'll take more than the same square layouts over and over.

You can use more than 43 polys as well ^_^

KamikazeDuck
April 17, 2006, 10:54 am
This map is like ctf_Cunae. It needs to be larger, preferably wider to make for a better ctf map. When you spawn, you get shot almost instantly (two bottom spawns mostly) and it gets really fustrating. The spawns are a bit random (objects), maybe if you edit this or something you should cut down on the number of places you can get health and grenades, keep them in the spots that you must go out of your way to get to (grenades in those black things was good).

To be honest, I think I like the 2D look better than the 3D look so I don't mind the jaggyness (maybe it's just a phase I'm going through but it just seems to suit Soldat) and scenery placement's good although the colouring doesn't really match the map.