( search forums )
Opera vs. Firefox
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
GAMEOVER
April 15, 2006, 7:36 pm
Im looking for awnsers from expierenced users of both only, if you have not used both do not reply, with that said..

Which one is better? Do both block active x controls? Dont reply with so and so is better without saying why exactly it is. If you can post pros and cons of each. Im deffinatly switchin to one of em.

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 7:41 pm
I wish to add that fanboyism of any kind is forbidden in this topic. *Points at Aquarius*

FliesLikeABrick
April 15, 2006, 7:46 pm
no, fanboyism in signatures and stuff isn't allowed.

Firefox, open-source > *

Opera is closed-source and has advertisements

Pretty much any browser has the abilitities of other (active x blocking etc), so comparing features is pointless.

Anyone who mentions IE in this thread should be shot in the face, then shot again.

mar77a
April 15, 2006, 7:57 pm
IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE IE

lol, jk

Gameover, if you are not sure why beeing open source benefits Firefox, check this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software

b00stA
April 15, 2006, 8:24 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickno, fanboyism in signatures and stuff isn't allowed.

Firefox, open-source > *

Teeeheee, wrong.

The free Opera used to have ads but they made it free now: no ads, freeware.

Just try both browsers yourself and don't listen to any fanboys. Both browsers are great and both have pros and cons. Just go see for yourself.

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 8:26 pm
Yes'm, they do both block Active X controls (by default), but FF is simpler in my opinion.

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 8:35 pm
I tryed the opera and firefox. I liked Firefox more

GAMEOVER
April 15, 2006, 8:38 pm
Open source doesnt always mean its better, I still have yet to see someone list pros and cons of each. I see Firefox has only six themes to choose from where as Opera has over two hundred.

Liber_Lupus
April 15, 2006, 9:02 pm
As b00sta said, try both of them out and choose which one you like more.

Soulsnipa
April 15, 2006, 9:09 pm
I use IE by default because it owns your face way too much, but as a secondary browser I will use Opera because it is much faster and helps in fixing [CENSORED] ass html bugs.

Denacke
April 15, 2006, 9:34 pm
Aye I have both on my computer. Most of the time I use opera though. Once you get used to the mouse gestures and its speed you can't go without :).

Deleted User
April 15, 2006, 9:44 pm
Hmm I have a question. I got firefox, but its blocked by my Norton Anti-Virus. How do I unblock it?

peemonkey
April 15, 2006, 10:00 pm
I found Opera to be much faster, and that's basically all I need in a browser. I keep them both though, some sites don't like opera.

frogboy
April 16, 2006, 12:36 am
I use Firefox because I'm used to it and there are a few useful extensions I use. Except there are those irritating Firefox fanboys that act like Firefox is a religion and using anything else will send you to the fiery pits of Browser Hell.

Opera has fanboys too though.

_Mancer_
April 16, 2006, 1:30 am
I use netscape :0

a-4-year-old
April 16, 2006, 2:13 am
i use

Quote:msn browser software
you think im kidding ¬_¬ OH ILL SHOW YOU!!!!

Deleted User
April 16, 2006, 2:21 am
Both browsers are pretty good. I use firefox by default cause of the extensions, support and proven reliability.

And msn is the same thing as IE, it just has a different gui.

LUNATIC COW
April 16, 2006, 2:37 am
 Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVEROpen source doesnt always mean its better, I still have yet to see someone list pros and cons of each. I see Firefox has only six themes to choose from where as Opera has over two hundred.

Firefox has hundreds of themes. You're looking at the extensions page wrong.

The last time I used opera was in version 7. It just didn't appeal to me overall. Firefox is convenient, resourceful, and doesn't freeze nearly as much as IE. The tech support for Firefox is better, too. Easier to get in contact with people.

Milkman Dan
April 16, 2006, 2:49 am
I've tried both opera and firefox.... firefox was a lot easier to use and looked better and it has awesome extensions and stuff and correct me if i'm wrong but its more compatible with most websites???

frogboy
April 16, 2006, 2:51 am
 Quote:Originally posted by a-4-year-oldi use

Quote:msn browser software
you think im kidding ¬_¬ OH ILL SHOW YOU!!!!
That's IE.

April 16, 2006, 3:38 am
Firefox is more user friendly, if you want to make it easier to browse the internet. It really depends, some people say the new IE may have tabs, but it's hard to tell. In either case, if you start using firefox, it's hard to use opera once ur used to FFs interface because of the tab position

(thats just my opinion)

Elephant_Hunter
April 16, 2006, 6:50 am
 Quote:Originally posted by DrivenUnderHmm I have a question. I got firefox, but its blocked by my Norton Anti-Virus. How do I unblock it?

Here you go, DrivenUnder.

karmazon
April 16, 2006, 8:40 am
Internet Explorer, gotta support microsoft, be grateful, they made windows

Soulsnipa
April 16, 2006, 10:47 am
IE 7 B2

DeMo
April 16, 2006, 10:57 am
The best browser will always be the one that better suits your needs.

I use Opera. It's free (no ads and no spyware/adware) fast, interface is very customizable, pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing, download manager (with resume capability), IRC client (embedded), RSS reader, E-mail client (embedded), downloads bit-torrent files, stores passwords and form data, mouse-gestures.. you can use voice-based browsing (currently I think only english is supported).. and even with all this stuff the download file is still smaller than Firefox'.

And it is available for Linux and Mac as well, with all the features mentioned above.

Some people prefer FF because they can't live without the extensions. I have tried FF but I haven't seen anything special about it. The strongest point really are the various extensions that greatly enhance the browser's capabilities.

Seriously, Open Source means nothing, most people using the browser don't even know what a source code is and can't write a single line of programming, the source code is useless to them.

Security is a very relative subject. No browser is more secure than the user using it. If you're a noob that doesn't know what a spyware is you'll get infected no matter what browser you use. But we have to admit that because of ActiveX its easier to get infected using IE than other browsers.

Also.. I don't like the way FF is marketed. Like when they say tabbed browsing is the most revolutionary thing ever.. and lead the users to believe it was invented by them, when in fact it appeared for the first time in Netcaptor, and Opera has had tabs for at least 5+ years.

About compatibility with pages, it's the pages that should be compatible with the browsers.. not the opposite.
Opera, Firefox, Safari and other browsers all comply with the W3C standards. Hakon Lie (they guy who invented CSS) works at Opera.. and Opera Software, Mozilla Foundation and Apple are all part of a consortium that is developing CSS2 (the "next-gen" stylesheet standard). Next time you find a page that won't load correctly on your browser you should blame the webmaster and Microsoft... which refuses to make IE compatible with the W3C standards.

Ok
April 16, 2006, 2:19 pm
Well, IE sucks ass so I was told, so I downloaded Opera, I thought about taking on firefox, but decided that Opera + IE makes the perfect Browser, for some reason Opera takes more time to load websites, even though I've been there before (with opera).
My first option is always IE, since I'm used to it, and when it fails to work properly like it often does, I go to Opera.

Funny though , how everyone ignored GAMEOVER's request to stay on topic ^_^
Including me

Deleted User
April 16, 2006, 5:28 pm
IE 7 is no match for firefox or any other browser for one reason, even if m$ fixes all of the rendering issues:
All versions of IE are integrated into windows. If the browser gets attacked windows is also attacked and you can't even uninstall ie to prevent this from happening because it is such a major part of windows.
So to everyone who has posted in this thread please use a browser other than IE unless you have no choice.

numgun
April 16, 2006, 6:05 pm
INTERNET EXPLORER FTW!!!1

firefox and opera sux btw.

N1nj@
April 16, 2006, 6:25 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by b00stA Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickno, fanboyism in signatures and stuff isn't allowed.

Firefox, open-source > *

Teeeheee, wrong.

Just try both browsers yourself and don't listen to any fanboys. Both browsers are great and both have pros and cons. Just go see for yourself.
wow, first time I see Files being wrong :O usually Files got his facts all straight and concrete...>:O

vash763
April 16, 2006, 7:42 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by DeMo
And it is available for Linux and Mac as well, with all the features mentioned above.

So is FF, but Safari ftw.

It's up to you GO, just try em both out and see which one you like best.

Ok
April 16, 2006, 8:22 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by N1nj@ Quote:Originally posted by b00stA Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickno, fanboyism in signatures and stuff isn't allowed.

Firefox, open-source > *

Teeeheee, wrong.

wow, first time I see Files being wrong :O usually Files got his facts all straight and concrete...>:O

Well actually, he keeps saying Linux is user friendly just as much as windows, which is ofcourse wrong.
And no Flies, your mom being able to use it , is NOT a proof.. she's just smarter than most moms.

Aquarius
April 16, 2006, 10:19 pm
Firefox and Opera are very different browsers, and both are good in my opinion.

Opera is a full Internet suite, it has much more features available out of the box. Sessions, zoom, mouse gestures, notes... I think it's a bit faster. Firefox is a simple browser and you have to install third-party extensions to add functionality. There is a lot of extensions for Firefox, many of them are great.

I prefer Opera, because I like how all the features are integrated. Opera is better for me. What is better for you? You must answer this question yourself. I think you should try both browsers and choose the browser that suits your needs better.

If you have any questions about Opera feel free to ask me, or go to [URL] forums. There is a lot of friendly people there. BTW, they give 300 MB of free storage space for files.

Some people here call me Opera fanboy, but ironically I have NEVER made a topic about Opera (or any other web browser) in the Soldat Forums. And I have never attacked Firefox directly. However, I do point out misunderstandings and lies about Opera spreaded by some people (for example that it has advertisements or that it's spyware, etc...). If this makes me a fanboy, so be it.

Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickFirefox, open-source > *
Can you prove it?

Deleted User
April 16, 2006, 11:35 pm
well your signature has been loaded with IE attacks and so much opera stuff that I thought u were a salesman for them or something.
I use IE because thats what I always done. I also decided to try firefox for a week, to see if I would like it better, and I dont.

I use firefix as a secondary browser when theres something IE fail to do. (and noone hacked my IE or windows yet ^^)

Aquarius
April 17, 2006, 12:29 am
Well, IE is another story.

Security holes found in Opera: 13, unpatched: 0

Security holes found in IE: 99, unpatched: 19

But this is not about 5 years old Internet Exploiter. Let's get back to the topic - modern browsers.

frogboy
April 17, 2006, 1:29 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Psychowell your signature has been loaded with IE attacks and so much opera stuff that I thought u were a salesman for them or something.
He pretty much was. He had a referral link in his sig which meant that if enough people clicked it he got a free license for Opera.

...I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Acid2 yet.

April 17, 2006, 1:44 am
Here's a sig I made a while back, I believe Funktopus is using it
[IMAGE]

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 3:34 am
Between opera and firefox, opera owns firefox :) buuuuuuut i use internet explorer because i'm to lazy to download opera on this computer :)

DeMo
April 17, 2006, 4:33 am
Damn you are too lazy to download 4 megabytes? :)
You already downloaded 10 just to play a stupid 2d sidescrolling multiplayer game!!

n00bface
April 17, 2006, 5:18 am
I use firefox because it's simpler, and works better with plugins and shyt. I always have to do funny stuff to get plugins to work in opera. Not to mention Opera always bugs out on me, like webpages randomly decide to stop working.

they're both ok though

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 8:27 am
oyah another reason why i dont use opera is because things dont show up properly, like these forums :)

Aquarius
April 17, 2006, 9:47 am
 Quote:Originally posted by frogboyHe pretty much was. He had a referral link in his sig which meant that if enough people clicked it he got a free license for Opera.
No, I wasn't. I bought Opera license before and I didn't need another one. I had the affiliate link in my sig, because I was curious how many people in Soldat Forums click the button. That's why I didn't put it anywhere else on the Web. For me it was just a counter. Sorry for the "evil" act. Once again: I didn't do it to get a free license, I had it long before the affiliate program had started.

Quote:Originally posted by dascoooyah another reason why i dont use opera is because things dont show up properly, like these forums :)
Could you specify which things don't show up "properly" in these forums, because I didn't notice anythig.

TheFunktopus
April 17, 2006, 10:47 am
 Quote:Originally posted by StickyHere's a sig I made a while back, I believe Funktopus is using it
[IMAGE]

Yes, good point.

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 11:33 am
 Quote:Originally posted by jrgpIE 7 is no match for firefox or any other browser for one reason, even if m$ fixes all of the rendering issues:
All versions of IE are integrated into windows. If the browser gets attacked windows is also attacked and you can't even uninstall ie to prevent this from happening because it is such a major part of windows.
So to everyone who has posted in this thread please use a browser other than IE unless you have no choice.

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

Elephant_Hunter
April 17, 2006, 1:49 pm
Never made a topic about a browser, eh? Aquarius needs to use the search function a bit more.

http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27190

Aquarius
April 17, 2006, 2:12 pm
It wasn't about a browser - it was about a promotion ;)
OK, OK - so I did it - once xD

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 5:09 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by Elephant_HunterNever made a topic about a browser, eh? Aquarius needs to use the search function a bit more.

http://www.soldatforums.com/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27190

why does everybody in that topic double post?

example!:
[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]
OMGOSH DOUBLE POSTERS< BAN BAN BAN

GAMEOVER
April 17, 2006, 5:23 pm
Okay lots of you guys have stayed on topic and posted by the guidelines I asked, thank you. The others, do you READ at all before you post?

Someone just posted something about all holes in Opera being found but none patched, is this true?

I know firefox will import your bookmarks does Opera as well?

Whoever said IE doesnt protect against ActiveX controls your wrong because it does. I am just really sick of this browser. Its a resource hog, doesnt display things properly, and I even sent a nice long letter to IEs developent feedback team.

I do not want to hear anything about open source anymore it does not matter.

I still have yet to see a pro vs con LIST of Opera vs. Firefox from people who have used both some have just mentioned a thing or two without actually going into what makes each browser up.

So far this disscusion has went well so lets keep posting constructive comments.

offtopic: open source is not important. Linux is a good, solid, stable OS but for a multimedia lifestyle it is not the way to go I dont care what anyone has to say about it because its been proven over and over and doesnt have 1/10th of the support from other companys as Microsoft does. If I were to build a secure stand alone rig for work purposes only id build a Linux system other then that Microsoft will always be the best choice for MY needs, id even take a Mac over Linux. If you want to argue about this I dont want to hear it go head over to ocforums.com and start your discussion and see where it will end up as developers from all 3 OSs post there.

Chakra`
April 17, 2006, 5:46 pm

The big deal for browsers to me, and this is 'the' rule for browsers that has stood the test of time (up until IE7, as I know jack about it), is that IE = a piece of crap, other browsers = better. You know this of course, because you're trying to decide between the two other major web-browsers. I commend you for getting this far.

The amazing reality of it all though is that opera and firefox - though different - are both as decent as each other and do the same thing.

You can do pretty much anything on either and they both have pretty much the same options and easy accesibility, you can customise either to the point it looks nothing like the original browser, both probably have security holes (though less than IE) but you shouldn't be [CENSORED]ing browsing those kinda sites anyway, and ...both let you browse the web.

It don't really matter which you choose guv, really..does it? I don't think there can be a convincing pro-vs-con list on both these browsers, 'cos they both do the same dance but to their own tune.

I've used both myself. I stick to Opera for the single reason that it was the one I got used to first. Firefox had a bit more view-space by default but otherwise, no real difference.

b00stA
April 17, 2006, 7:22 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by frogboy...I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Acid2 yet.

Because most people here don't have a clue?

cooz
April 17, 2006, 7:50 pm
dascoo,
forums bug? if not, could anyone explain me how i could edit 2 posts in same second cause i don't remeber how i did it ;D

vash763
April 17, 2006, 8:10 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by b00stA Quote:Originally posted by frogboy...I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Acid2 yet.

How many browsers actually display it correctly?

On the Mac, none of them I know do. Even Safari screws up the eyes and the yellow part.

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 8:48 pm
o god not safari :( i had used firefox at a friends house once.....just the same as IE i think

btw: hi cooz

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 8:54 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by vash763 Quote:Originally posted by b00stA Quote:Originally posted by frogboy...I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Acid2 yet.

How many browsers actually display it correctly?

On the Mac, none of them I know do. Even Safari screws up the eyes and the yellow part.

Konqueror passes the test afaik.

GAMEOVER
April 17, 2006, 9:08 pm
Maybe no one mentioned acid2 because its an Opera vs. Firefox disscusion BUT all other browsers are welcome if any of you know any, I personally have never heard of Acid2 but heard of a browser called Avant? Any others that compare? Any Acid2 users? Any Avant users?

edit* Will I found out Acid2 is a browser test not an actual browser I think. Does Opera and/or Firefox pass it? Anyone?

GAMEOVER
April 18, 2006, 1:07 am
On Opera now as I post this ill use it for a week before I comment on it.

Having trouble clicking the 1st link in this post on the 3rd page with it rite now, its asking me to login again.

vash763
April 18, 2006, 1:08 am
No, I don't believe they do.

But niether do any other browsers, 'cept Konqueror apparently.

Aquarius
April 18, 2006, 2:38 am
 Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERHaving trouble clicking the 1st link in this post on the 3rd page with it rite now, its asking me to login again.

Go to Tools > Preferences > Adavnced > History and set "Check documents" to "Always". I'm not sure if it will help, but it's better to have the setting changed anyway.

GAMEOVER
April 18, 2006, 2:50 am
 Quote:Originally posted by Aquarius Quote:Originally posted by GAMEOVERHaving trouble clicking the 1st link in this post on the 3rd page with it rite now, its asking me to login again.

Go to Tools > Preferences > Adavnced > History and set "Check documents" to "Always". I'm not sure if it will help, but it's better to have the setting changed anyway.

Thank You, are there any other settings you can think of off the top of your head that I should change while im setting it all up the way I like?

edit* It didnt fix the problem

edit sidenote* Do I have to register Opera after so long? Or is it comletely add free and full funtional for absolutely free now? Im on 8.54

Aquarius
April 18, 2006, 3:10 am
At the moment nothing else comes to my mind. Since version 8.5 Opera is absolutely free.

GAMEOVER
April 18, 2006, 3:28 am
I am REALLY diggin it so far im just touching it and see just how customized you can make it. Im about to look up some themes. I setup my bookmarks and got rid of/added as needed, its really awesome and fast. Love the right click features, more to come..

edit* found one that goes with my theme pretty well after just going through the first page.

Heres my Aston Desktop
[IMAGE]

Heres my current Opera
[IMAGE]

m00`
April 18, 2006, 7:34 am
holy crap that theme is terrible

Unlucky 13
April 18, 2006, 8:28 am
Heh, while looking at the Acid2 test, I saw this

Quote:From the Acid2 test website
Acid2 is a year old now, and recent beta builds of Opera 9 now support the test. Håkon Wium Lie, CTO of Opera Software and one of the contributing authors to the Acid2 test, says: ?Some people thought Acid2 would be easy for Opera since we were involved in shaping the test. Not so. Acid2 rightfully exposed many bugs in Opera and we have squashed them, one by one.?

Not to say I use Opera all that often, but it certainly does content, if not surpass, Firefox. I still like Firefox better though as it is smaller, (at least I find it) faster, and its a helluva lot simpler to use, too.

(That, with my luck, got posted while I was posting this, heh).

Deleted User
April 18, 2006, 12:36 pm
shut up moo that looks awesome

xtishereb
April 18, 2006, 4:25 pm
If you're interested, there's this hack for Firefox which dramatically increases its speed if you have a broadband connection by making multiiple page requests at the same time, at the expense of the host's bandwidth.

I got into Firefox from this crazy mac-user I know, so I use it because I'm used to it. Plus Firefox is the default web browser in Ubuntu. Honestly, I don't care what web browser you use as long it gets what you want done. Different people want different things out of their web browser.

GAMEOVER
April 18, 2006, 6:11 pm
I had firefox about 2 years ago for awhile granted theres a new and improved firefox since that time I have made my decision already.

I am choosing Opera and staying with it. Im so happy with it that I dont want to even see the new Firefox (why change something thats already good). I cant say enough good things about it so far its VERY user friendly for me. As long as you have basic computer knowledge you should have no issues with Opera whatsoever, but yeah, I love this browser.. im keeping it. Thanks for the replys and feedback.

GAMEOVER
April 18, 2006, 6:13 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by m00`holy crap that theme is terrible

To each their own. I love it, lots would agree and disagree. It suits my tastes.

GAMEOVER
April 18, 2006, 8:03 pm
found a better one [IMAGE]