( search forums )
How much does ping affect skill?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
lithium
April 16, 2006, 11:37 pm
I was in U13 earlier and got into a little debate with this one kid that is a regular there and seemed to think that a p00nzor player such as himself with a high ping would easily be beaten by a noob with low ping. We traded a few words...

[-----] ping = skill to a point
['cT_Lithium.*] not really
[-----] noobs own me when they got 16 ping
['cT_Lithium.*] that has nothing to do with it
[-----] hahah!!!!
['cT_Lithium.*] a skilled clan will whomp the [CENSORED] out of a sucky clan even if all members have 500
['cT_Lithium.*] ping
[-----] no...
['cT_Lithium.*] um yea
[-----] not against 16s
['cT_Lithium.*] you keep track of SCTFL?
[-----] ?
['cT_Lithium.*] gues not
[STS - Blue Sword] lold
[-----] no i dont w/e the [CENSORED] that is
[-----] explain
['cT_Lithium.*] put EF or Xfect or BH or some big clan against a little clan
['cT_Lithium.*] give little clan 16 and big clan 500 pings
['cT_Lithium.*] big clan will win
[-----] so ping doesnt matter....
[-----] ROFL!!!!!
['cT_Lithium.*] it does a bit
['cT_Lithium.*] but skill always overcomes ping
[-----] bit?
[-----] ROFL!!!
['cT_Lithium.*] yes
['cT_Lithium.*] bit
['cT_Lithium.*] ROFL ROIFL LOGL BUTTSECKs
[-----] rofl! lol! omfg! hahah!!!!
[-----] w/e dude
[-----] im not a dumbass
['cT_Lithium.*] you're sure acting like it
[-----] quit trying to push ur bs on me
[-----] a 16 pinger would be 1 to talk
[-----] ROFL!

[-----] rofl jackass
[-----] u have no arguement
[-----] if u had 300 ping
['cT_Lithium.*] i presented my argument
['cT_Lithium.*] your argument is "rofl u jacksas lolllo"
['cT_Lithium.*] your the one with no argument
[-----] if thats all u get...
['cT_Lithium.*] look, im not saying ping plays no part
['cT_Lithium.*] but skill will ALWAYS overcome ping
[-----] i know ur saying its small
[-----] im saying its huge
['cT_Zamor@k] hey guy make a post on soldatforums and then you'll get poont
['cT_Zamor@k] k?
[-----] thaha
[-----] those idiots
[-----] 12 year olds?'
[-----] rofl

OK, so no soldatforums.

['cT_Zamor@k] your ping is 83 ffs..
[-----] until u argued
['cT_Lithium.*] ok guy
['cT_Zamor@k] thats not that high
[-----] haha
['cT_Lithium.*] register at fracturedsoldat.com
['cT_Lithium.*] and well post a poll
['cT_Lithium.*] and see what some skilled players think
['cT_Lithium.*] k?
06-04-16 17:05:28 [-----] tdoesnt matter what people think
[-----] my friend ties me with good ping
[-----] i own him when he has 200 +
[-----] end of arguement
['cT_Lithium.*] oic

I thought I'd get the opinions of others anyway. What do you all think? Personally I think that players who are skilled enough can easily overcome the "lag barrier" and defeat an opponent with a lower ping. I just wanted to see what other people in the community think...I certainly hope this guy's strange dillusion isn't too common in the soldat community.

Eagles_Arrows
April 17, 2006, 12:04 am
Yeah, skill does overcome ping most of the time. I know two dudes who always get a ping of 250 on r/s servers and still owned others with 100 or less.

Quote:Personally I think that players who are skilled enough can easily overcome the "lag barrier" and defeat an opponent with a lower ping.
Hell yeah. Whenever you go to a server with 250 or so ping, it would take a while for your shots to register, as well as your soldat's movements. But if you get the timing down well enough, you could kill opponents several times x|

A.L.blackhawk
April 17, 2006, 12:05 am
I would probably have to agree with you lithium, ping plays a part but, yea, skill overcomes it. But if you do have such a high ping skill dousn't really matter since it will be unplayable :/.

shoover
April 17, 2006, 12:13 am
just remember if u lag, it makes u think that u are doing something (u as in the lagger) but int he real process, its doing something else, so this affects it 100%

lithium
April 17, 2006, 12:20 am
That is true, but if you get used to it (like if you're NA and play on euro servers a lot) you learn how to lead and deal with lag.

bond_james_bond
April 17, 2006, 12:42 am
If you lag, you are noob.
If you complain and blame lag, you are noob.
If you experience it and then not complain about it, you're aight.

Swarmer
April 17, 2006, 12:44 am
 Quote:['cT_Lithium.*] ROFL ROIFL LOGL BUTTSECKs
lol, best reply ever.

Ping doesn't matter. Look at Yukwunhang. He owns, and his ping is like equal to his IQ, which must be high, since he's Asian.

Eagles_Arrows
April 17, 2006, 2:15 am
 Quote:Originally posted by SwarmerLook at Yukwunhang. He owns, and his ping is like equal to his IQ, which must be high, since he's Asian.

Well that was stereotypical O_o

Swarmer
April 17, 2006, 3:31 am
no its not. I'm Asian and I can attest to the truthfullness of that statement.

zyxstand
April 17, 2006, 4:10 am
techincally, if your ping is always 16 (or somewher eless than 30) then basically whenever you see blood on ur screen, the server will too admit that you shot the person. however, if your ping is always somewhere in the 200 range you know that you must always fire always slightly ahead of the your intended target to kill. So you should be used to your ping rates by now and know (and make it a habit) to always shoot ever so slightly ahead of your target to hit him. This, by the way, is often seen with knife throws (with me at least). also, if you have somewhere over 100 ping usually and you play against bots you will generally not do so well because you are used to at least some lag in games and always try to shoot in front of bots not killing them.....

BooBoo McBad
April 17, 2006, 4:40 am
Yeah but when you face people who know how to move you can't use that strategy.

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 4:51 am
Hah, forgot to edit when I called him by part of his name lith :P

I go into servers with 100-200ish ping and players still get teh barret in teh ass.

UltraMagnus
April 17, 2006, 10:36 am
ping plays a part in how good a player is, just like maps, some people are good at having a high ping...

Outcast
April 17, 2006, 11:31 am
Ping doesn't really matter all that much. Since ping means how much delay an action gets. So if you shoot someone with barret he will die after (instert ping value here) miliseconds. The problem with this is, that the higher the ping gets, the more packetloss(lag & warping) accurs.

Packetloss means a packet of information was lost(your barret bullet hitting him) therefore he does not die. Good ISP's with good pings(and servers) means there's almost NO packetloss. Polish(example, there's plenty sucky ISP regions) servers and connections tend to lag and have packetloss even at 66 ping or so.
But in general, ping and lag combined can affect your performance greatly, lucky escapes are an everyday sight in clanwars. When you play a less skilled clan, your skill might compensate for the ping, to a degree offcourse. 300 ping is usually quite unplayable. 500 is really unplayable.

100 percent Cotton
April 17, 2006, 12:14 pm
I think if someone is over 200 ping, they are allowed to be crap occasionally.
And over 750, there's nothing they can do really.
Except go to another server.
I play on one single server, because it's a looped CTF with all the 121 maps, sooo...and I always have under 100 there, so no problems

The higher the ping, usually the worse someone will be.
Only if they are awesomeness incarnate can someone 1000 ping kill a 66 ping by something other than luck. Repeatedly.

bgretydews
April 17, 2006, 1:17 pm
On the N8V server i have around 300Ping and yet almost always come first with atleast a 2k/1d ratio, i have learned to with with it but its much harder than haveing 16 ping

a-4-year-old
April 17, 2006, 1:53 pm
ping only takes affect when your ping is very high, at which point, you should ether leave the server and find a closer one, or have balloonades.

bond_james_bond
April 17, 2006, 2:08 pm
It's like this one sayin goes (I found it iny my chocolate bar wrapper)
"Age is nothing but a number"

What does this have to do with anyting about Soldat??

I'm talking about raw skill here. You still have skills if the lag is crazy. People just dont see it because... *The lag is crazy*. Join a good, low-ping server where the lag *Isn't crazy* and you will show your skills.

I dunno if I got my point across or not. Just try tying that quote into Soldat. =\

lithium
April 17, 2006, 3:19 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by ZamorakHah, forgot to edit when I called him by part of his name lith :P

I go into servers with 100-200ish ping and players still get teh barret in teh ass.

haha fix'd.

And I was exaggerating just a tiny bit when I said 500 ping, that was just an example that i made up on the fly. But he had ~80 ping or something and seemed to think that would automatically make him suck against people with ping <50.

Svirep
April 17, 2006, 3:32 pm
ofcourse the ping doesnt beat skill
but i can see where that guy is coming from..
i have the same problem
most people with 16 ping have a large advantage over me
and they mostly use an mp5, it works best for them, guess other weapons don't use that exploit as well
they can kill me in a second, i just see them shooting, see 2-3 bullets and i'm dead
and my shots dont register on them much, nades send them flying off
but they kill other people just fine..
and they usually finish with a really small death count
i'm not talking about noobs, they're usually good players
but something gives them a huge advantage

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 6:07 pm
How can you see where he is coming from? With 83 ping, and the majority of other players having 30~ish there is a negligable differents.
----------
In response to above post

With that kind of lag, you have network problems most likely.

Maybe the "good players" aim? Maybe they are good for a reason? Maybe you shouldn't play on a server where you get a bad ping?

-VzX- Silverflame
April 17, 2006, 9:23 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by OutcastPing doesn't really matter all that much. Since ping means how much delay an action gets. So if you shoot someone with barret he will die after (instert ping value here) miliseconds. The problem with this is, that the higher the ping gets, the more packetloss(lag & warping) accurs.

Packetloss means a packet of information was lost(your barret bullet hitting him) therefore he does not die. Good ISP's with good pings(and servers) means there's almost NO packetloss. Polish(example, there's plenty sucky ISP regions) servers and connections tend to lag and have packetloss even at 66 ping or so.
But in general, ping and lag combined can affect your performance greatly, lucky escapes are an everyday sight in clanwars. When you play a less skilled clan, your skill might compensate for the ping, to a degree offcourse. 300 ping is usually quite unplayable. 500 is really unplayable.

in my opinion any thing below 200 ping is good, i usually tend to go in any server with 200 of less, just the way i play :P

Deleted User
April 17, 2006, 11:30 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by -VzX- Silverflame Quote:Originally posted by OutcastPing doesn't really matter all that much. Since ping means how much delay an action gets. So if you shoot someone with barret he will die after (instert ping value here) miliseconds. The problem with this is, that the higher the ping gets, the more packetloss(lag & warping) accurs.

in my opinion any thing below 200 ping is good, i usually tend to go in any server with 200 of less, just the way i play :P

Well, i guess that explains why I couldn't play with a ping of 2000+. Ping actually matters alot. It can be the differnce between a LAW hitting and killing the other player, or just hitting on your screen. And we all hate to waste the LAW.
Also, I reckon the best player in the world could be easily beaten by a noob if the noob has 10 ping, and the Master 500.

Raptor
April 18, 2006, 4:40 pm
Ping really does affect skill... get a faster comp and internet connection!

Outcast
April 18, 2006, 6:38 pm
Note that what I wrote with ping doesn't really matter at higher pings because the "anti lag" system doesn't quite work at higher pings. If it would work you could shoot a guy when you have 2000 ping and he would die 2 seconds later. When there was no "anti lag" in soldat you could play well with 500+ ping if you knew how far ahead you had to aim.

shoover
April 18, 2006, 10:39 pm
yea just remember itts about rate, the rate a player goes to a position will be affected.

criddo
April 19, 2006, 11:43 am
Yeah it's kinda a bit hard to kill someone when they're warping all over the place

Deleted User
April 19, 2006, 3:18 pm
Yes, especially hard when you use barret.

UltraMagnus
April 19, 2006, 4:34 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by RaptorPing really does affect skill... get a faster comp and internet connection!

somtimes thats not an option, have you ever tried playing over a badly congested public wifi? OH THE HORROR!